Author Topic: Refinishing headlight bucket  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
Refinishing headlight bucket
« on: July 18, 2011, 10:05:08 pm »
I searched in the tricks thread and could not find a trick or proven way to refurb my bucket for the headlight... It has a few scuffs and needs to be repainted. Any tricks to filling in gouges, is sanding necessary to paint and am I able to use a specific brand of spray paint or am I better off finding someone who does this professionally?
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
Re: Refinishing headlight bucket
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 10:53:53 pm »
What bike is this for?  An easy and relatively inexpensive alternative could be to just buy a new headlight bucket, although I do understand the desire to refurbish the original. 

Offline DJ_AX

• Expert
  • ?!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 10:56:21 pm »
My headlight buckets are made of the same material as the side covers. Plastic.

If it's just a few deep gouges then some body filler / putty and yes of course sanding.
If you would like the paint to stick well then your going to have to sand anyway.

Add: I like Krylon.
~ Vincent . . . '75 CB750 K5 . . . '97 BMW r1100rt . . . had; '75 CB550 K1 (sold) . . .  '73 CB350G (gifted) HELL YEAH!
Disclaimer: I could be wrong. :)

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 03:22:06 am »
It is just like all body work.  You out stuff on and than you take it off again - by sanding:)

There are few tricks.  One is to buy decent fill up base paint - look for a specialized body supply shop in your area - like Dupont for instance.

Than get a sanding block, they should have it too, and sand paper 1200  to  1500 or so.

To sand it evenly get a cheap black spray, like rustoelum.  Now you cover it with the sandable primer all over.  Next, you spray light coat of black paint and start sanding by hand.  The black paint will go away gradually and show you where the scratches and such are.  Once you sand the black off, you should have nice and even surface to shoot the finish coat on.

Or you can just take it to a small body shop and they will do it for you for few bucks:)

KingCustomCycles.com

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 04:45:57 am »
OK, Ive heard others advice and just don't agree.  I wet sand with 400 3M wet dry being careful not to remove the numbers, or smooth the crisp edges too much. Low spots and gouges are filled with spot putty and allowed to dry overnight between coats.  I then sand all over with 600 wet and either shoot limco base/clear paint directly over the old paint/putty or prime with sealer primer first if the spot putty is extensive or I have done some fiberglass work to the bucket.  In a pinch, a good wet sanding with 600 and a coat of krylon gloss black will look great but won't stand up to any chemicals (brake fluid, or even some waxes) or rough handling.  Same goes for the side covers.  Stay away from thinners and strippers around that plastic and you will be just fine.  Also, NONE of this is done with a block, all with the hand curved and an eye for what is being removed.

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 03:24:11 pm »
There is more than one way to skin a cat, obviously:)

I learned my body work on hoods and fenders of Corvettes from 60s - they are fiberglass too - but as long as your method works for you. 

Offline CB500_k2

• Hot Shot
  • Wrenching makes a good retirement.
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 05:10:22 pm »
Having just been down this road I found JB Weld to be the perfect gouge remover and Rustoleum to the the perfect no drips, no errors paint.
Too many bikes -- too little time
1973 CB500
1974 CB350 - sold
1975 CB400F SuperSport
2000 Ducati Monster Dark

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 06:37:25 pm »
Thanks all for the input... I get my bike back tomorrow and will throw on one of the buckets I ordered from a member on here... Then when i receive my other bucket I am sending it to my buddy who does body work for a career. I am going to paint the bucket the same color as the trim on the bike
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.