Author Topic: Instructional Videos for this site by members  (Read 3992 times)

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
Instructional Videos for this site by members
« on: July 21, 2011, 02:41:58 pm »
I did a several searches and came across a few videos of instructional value. I was wondering for those who are mechanically inclined and video savvy if we can start a sticky that has instructional videos for maintenance.. IE... 3k tune up or how to change out forks seals. I know we can youtube them but I was curious as to how many of the experts here disagree with specific procedures of videos that have been shown on here... Case in point, the synching of carbs done by Albene or something around that name... I thought it was helpful but went through all the post and notice how others were noticing small inaccuracies to the procedure.... Maybe I missed the searches and instructional videos so please forgive me if they are on here and I missed them....... I bring this all to light because I am able to read a manual but I am a visual and hands on learner.... By seeing someone complete a certain procedure I am able to follow step by step much easier then actually reading the manual and trying it out by myself.... Maybe I am by myself, but hopefully this may be a huge help to use individuals who are not familiar with these bikes and are able to gain knowledge when it comes to how to work on these bikes and complete the tasks properly ..

I do understand Youtube can be very helpful but to have maintenance videos to perform specific maintenance for specific models would be an enormous and valuable tool to have...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 02:47:54 pm by Tews19 »
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
Re: Instructional Videos for this site by members
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 03:11:31 pm »
That would be very difficult to do and here's why. A new member tried it once starting with his version of how to adjust a chain. I found it to be fraught with basic errors. IMO, granted.  i called him on it in as polite a way as i could, in PM. Never heard from him again.

Mea culpa, that wasn't my intention. But who will be the judge of accuracy? Under what circumstances could well meaning members challenge the vid? Do we just let them stand with a tag caveat emptor? I think I would be thick skinned enough to accept criticism but you never know till it happens to you.

Perhaps you let each stand as filmed and criticize them in a separate thread?

Tough to do, I think.

Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline WarwickE36

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 03:24:53 pm »
Unfortunately I agree with MC...

There is so much discrepancy on this forum for even the most basic of ideas that even if someone made a bangup video someone else would call them a hack.  Following the manual is usually pretty safe.  Manuals to me are only a reference.  As a mechanic by trade I use manuals to reference things that I am unfamiliar. 

For example I have videos on YOUTUBE of bass covers I have done.  I usually get a lot of approval, but from time to time I get a thumbs down.  No way to know if the thumbs up or thumbs down person can even play bass but they leave their mark regardless.  Same goes here.  If someone shows you how to do an oil change, but used automotive grade 10W40 instead of motorcycle approved 10W40 for wetclutches he just did you more harm than good.
" Why does anyone get offended by what someone does to their own bike? I dont get it. "

You made me think about it after I cheered knowing someone else would like to know what these control freaks are up to.
 Every time any owner strips whatever precious Honda part the horrified purists parts go up in value. That's not the part that bothers them.
 What bothers them is they sat up late at night, their breast full of wonder and estrogen, unable to sleep, dreaming about their lovely darling and all her glory... and next thing you know someone else doesn't share their emotional deluge and their reaction is they must spread their mind museum as far as they possibly can, taking over as much of the real world as possible.

Drink fast, drive slow, but ride it like you stole it

1974 Cb550 with style
2004 SV650s

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 03:32:47 pm »
I completely agree with the both of you... I have not been part of the site for an extended period of time but I respect your thoughts.. I can see the difficulty but that is why I mentioned those who are mechanically inclined.. i should have mentioned that it should be by members who are and have built a reputable reputation.  Sorry if I ruffled feathers.. Innocent suggestion that's all guys..

KingCustomCycles.com

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 04:10:45 pm »
The problem for me is it takes time away from actually wrenching, requires a thick skin, and would not make money.  I teach for a living and offer no apologies for getting paid to educate.  I think we can all remember times when a bit of knowledge would have saved us a bucket of money or time. 

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 04:38:32 pm »
I completely agree with the both of you... I have not been part of the site for an extended period of time but I respect your thoughts.. I can see the difficulty but that is why I mentioned those who are mechanically inclined.. i should have mentioned that it should be by members who are and have built a reputable reputation.  Sorry if I ruffled feathers.. Innocent suggestion that's all guys..
No ruffled feathers. But that's part of the problem. Hard to project a discussion style demeanor in print, even using smilies. Often the smilies are overlooked. I think a lot of good information and knnowledge is spread in threads about topics without one person coming forward, and putting their head on a potential chopping block.

I'm all for it. Just saying I wonder how it can work.

Even a guy like HondaMan, who writes a book, very little of which is actually on the forum, gets cut downs from other members. he is the best candidate for making teaching videos, but I couldn't ask him todo it.

Now if you make a vid and put it someplace neutral like YouTube, then it can be ignored or absorbed. But putting it here it becomes a target... maybe.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline FrankenFrankenstuff

• Master
    • FrankenBike Stuff Store
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 05:07:33 pm »
<iframe width="425" height="349" src=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 05:18:48 pm »

Your stuff is exemoted of course!   :D

I was thinking that maybe a thread of youtube links would be helpful. It would throw up a barrier to rapid fire comments. Maybe even comments could be verboten, or lodged in a separate thread.

I actually search for and enjoy you tube DIY videos and feel no compelling urge to correct them. If I don't like it i just skip it.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 09:11:18 pm »
The problem for me is it takes time away from actually wrenching, requires a thick skin, and would not make money.  I teach for a living and offer no apologies for getting paid to educate.  I think we can all remember times when a bit of knowledge would have saved us a bucket of money or time.

I was confused when you said thick skin... But then I read the next few post and I understand how some people decide that they must bash others work.. I guess since I am new to bikes and am genuinely asking questions to learn and educate myself.. Not looking to look down on those who do make instructional videos... Maybe cuz I am in the social work field and always look to better people and not be judgmental. Either way, I think once I do become more experienced I may post some videos of my work on my bike.... Those videos will be titled, " work done with the help of fellow SOHC members." 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:50:57 pm by Tews19 »

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 09:13:49 pm »
No ruffled feathers. But that's part of the problem. Hard to project a discussion style demeanor in print, even using smilies. Often the smilies are overlooked. I think a lot of good information and knnowledge is spread in threads about topics without one person coming forward, and putting their head on a potential chopping block.

Even a guy like HondaMan, who writes a book, very little of which is actually on the forum, gets cut downs from other members. he is the best candidate for making teaching videos, but I couldn't ask him todo it.

Now if you make a vid and put it someplace neutral like YouTube, then it can be ignored or absorbed. But putting it here it becomes a target... maybe.

MC, this may sound ignorant but who is Hondaman? I saw several of his post but have no idea who he is... Thought he was maybe the founder of the site and was able to pick the cool name right away

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 09:22:36 pm »
HM is a very knowledgeable guy on the 750 and other SOHC Hondas, basically worked on them from their creation to today. He has written a very well written book concerning the teardown and assembly and other information about the SOHC 750.

He is definitely one of the goto guys on this site for correct information concerning these bikes.

"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline Goldbug

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 09:45:18 pm »
I think the application of common sense would be key in both understanding your videos may be critiqued, or as a viewer be aware that the video may not be gospel. Now this is the internet and where common should prevail we end up with whining, moaning, #$%*ing, grabassing, crying, chicken pox, chinchillas on crack, hurricanes, feral children ripping phonebooks in half and every kind of disaster you can imagine. But is that any different than any other day on the internet?

I say yes to making and posting vids. I say yes to critiquing disinformation. I say yes to critical thinking. If you want to do something on your bike you aren't sure about, consult multiple sources. RTFM, search the forums, search the web, stare at the bike for an hour straight drinking a beer, and lastly, maybe, watch a video on the topic, go in PREPARED. COMMON SENSE.

I say no to a sticky. It implies endorsement.

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 09:52:55 pm »
HM is a very knowledgeable guy on the 750 and other SOHC Hondas, basically worked on them from their creation to today. He has written a very well written book concerning the teardown and assembly and other information about the SOHC 750.

He is definitely one of the goto guys on this site for correct information concerning these bikes.
May I please have the title to his book?

Offline Nortstudio

• Not nearly an
  • Master
  • Just getting started...
    • MotoPreserve
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 10:03:53 pm »
This is the link to his web site: http://www.SOHC4shop.com/catalog/index.php

If you go to the FAQ section, you will see a sticky there called "thoughts of HondaMan.". Read it, it's damn informative, and the placement implies endorsement :)
1976 CB550K...in progress
1975 CL360...eventually custom
2009 Husqvarna TE610

a blog about wrenching in Brooklyn, NY

“Success is dependent on effort.”
~Sophocles

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 10:08:24 pm »

May I please have the title to his book?
Here is a link to Mark's (Hondamans) web page.
http://www.sohc4shop.com/catalog/index.php

Mark's book can be purchased here and I believe at other online outlets as well.
If you are keen to learn about these great bikes, and it sounds as if you are, this would be a very worthwhile investment IMO.

I've always believed that reading a book is more educational than watching a video, and coupled with the unbeatable resources and support here, you just can't go wrong.
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 10:10:27 pm »
Norstudio, you just pipped me at the post.  ;)
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 05:38:27 am »

MC, this may sound ignorant but who is Hondaman? I saw several of his post but have no idea who he is... Thought he was maybe the founder of the site and was able to pick the cool name right away
Others have answered it, I'm not ignoring you.  :D
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline xsmooth69x

• Master
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 06:09:10 am »

also you dont have to embed or do anything crazy to throw up your youtube videos just copy and past the url straight onto the post

frankenstuff cover prep #1

frankenstuff covers prep #2
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:11:03 am by xsmooth69x »
1975 CB550 (FINISHED?!?!?)
first motorcycle ever!!! ow and i dont know how to ride it either :D

raw rust rice venti quad shot cafe racing latte project aka my build..... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88853.0

black and white equation godzilla chalkboard 
1972 cb750 - next in line for some <3

Offline xsmooth69x

• Master
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 06:12:10 am »
how about my video?

how to safely and easily open and close you SOHC4 gas cap with out mashing and pushing down excessively. this is the patented 2 hand methode so for ladies or limp wristed men check it out  ;)

*** this excludes gas caps with locks

how to open a sohc4 honda gas cap

sticky material right here

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:25:58 pm by xsmooth69x »
1975 CB550 (FINISHED?!?!?)
first motorcycle ever!!! ow and i dont know how to ride it either :D

raw rust rice venti quad shot cafe racing latte project aka my build..... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88853.0

black and white equation godzilla chalkboard 
1972 cb750 - next in line for some <3

Offline Goldbug

• Hot Shot
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 06:31:17 am »
My gas cap has a key.

Offline Nortstudio

• Not nearly an
  • Master
  • Just getting started...
    • MotoPreserve
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 06:39:14 am »

I know this was in jest, but someone asked this very question a few days ago. And wouldn't you know it, in my haste to fire off an answer from my phone, while researching something else, I explained it backwards (closing really). It was corrected quickly, but....

Maybe that's an argument for the videos after all. Although there may be different opinions and styles of doing things, a video takes a little time, and I assure you, I wouldn't have done it backwards, if I was actually at the bike doing it. Videos take some time, and together with other research done on the forum, and reading the manuals, could help some people that are stuck.

Maybe it's possible to have an SOHC-4 YouTube thread in the Tips & Tricks section that is locked and moderated?  Then there could always be another one below it for comments?
1976 CB550K...in progress
1975 CL360...eventually custom
2009 Husqvarna TE610

a blog about wrenching in Brooklyn, NY

“Success is dependent on effort.”
~Sophocles

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 06:44:42 am »
My gas cap has a key.
Your cap has the "upgrade" which was meant for all CBs, but only done to a few. A Honda recall occurring in the late 70s.  And for restoration purposes the thumblatch is preferred retrofitted.

XSsmooth, great topic to choose. My suggestion: The problem with the video to me is there is no emphasis on why this procedure should be followed. Without the why, owners may say why should this be a 2 handed operation. Why can't i just push on the button and pop the cap? I'm the guy who will resistance any advice unless I'm told "why".

The answer being of course that these latches are a porous casting prone to breaking and no longer availabel from honda. If you start off with that statement, you've got my attention.  Other sources have them for a price. And there are still a few used ones around. The problem with used ones is the same as the original ones, prone to breaking.

And personally I don't see why closing should be a 2 handed operation. The only reisitance is the spring. Unlike upon opening where the resistance is overcoming the hook on the latch.  I just give it a quick rap with my fist. 2 handed can't hurt though.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 07:25:19 am »
Huh, I just found out on my own that a 2 handed opening and closing is easier for me.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline Goldbug

• Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 07:28:51 am »
Interersting MC, I never noticed about the gas caps.

It's funny because my gas cap is in pristine shape and the lock appears to be 100% in good working order but you don't need a key to open it. A screw driver will work, even maybe certain coins in a pinch. It doesn't look damaged or anything, just seems like it's not a very effective lock.

I don't know much about the recall because I wasn't around then but I'm guessing it has something to do with gas crisis and the fact that people were stealing gas by siphoning it out of tanks. Of course this is idiotic on a motorcycle. All you need to do to steal gas out of a motorcycle is hook a tube up the petcock. No key on that. Ain't reactionary responses grand? For the few people that lined up to get their new gas cap, they probably FELT like their precious fuel was going to much safer. And that's what it's all about. Feeling safer. But I digress...

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2011, 07:35:18 am »
how about my video?

how to open a sohc4 honda gas cap

Awesome intructional video on how to open a gas cap.. I learned the proper procedure..... I am going to read Hondamans book.. Thanks all....