Author Topic: ZX7 suspension? anyone done this?  (Read 1567 times)

Offline m in sc

• Enthusiast
ZX7 suspension? anyone done this?
« on: July 26, 2011, 09:54:17 am »
might be kinda out there but my 78K is heading deeper into project land. I have a zx7 suspension, whole shooting match, swingarm, wheels, front end, etc. i have done suspension swaps on other bikes (2 stroke stuff) but was wondering if anyone has used this setup w/the zx7 hardware. the sprocket offset is within 1/4", pivot width on the swingarm is damn close, length is about 2 inches longer max, and the forks/trees, etc look like they will swap right in for the most part. (will be some bearing issues but no biggie). I would plan on keeping it twin shock as i like that look and get some shock mounts welded onto the kawi swingarm.

thoughts?
thanks,
Mark

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
Re: ZX7 suspension? anyone done this?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 05:22:19 am »
swap stem bearings and a sleeve adapter for the swingarm pivot and why wouldnt it work?

that said, I would check that the Zee s'arm length and triple clamp's offset will not make the bike a pig to ride.

a 180 section rear will not make the bike steer faster either.

my question is why do it. A sohc with well sorted out suspension will handle pretty good. 

If its all done for posing around then fine, but then you should post the question in the bikes forum and not the hipo section.

TG

Offline m in sc

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 05:49:43 am »
firstly, i don't pose.. i know some do but i don't. I know what you are saying but thats not the case here... anyway...

rear tire is a 160 on the zx suspension, both wheels are 17's. the front is a 120. considering the stock rear tire on the 78 i have is a 17 130 its not that huge a jump. the offset on the trees is a bit less than on the honda and the wheel is smaller, therefore if anything it should really quicken up the steering. also, with thicker forks and fully adjustable it should work better.  swingarm is about 2 inches longer.

In all honestly i may not do it as i have 2 other bikes with similar mods but just wanted some input from anyone who has done this on a honda 4?

heres 2 others i have w/similar mods:

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 09:16:42 pm »
We just completed an F model using a GSXR 1100 frontend and a Katana 600 swingarm. I used the stem from the Honda steering head and had it press fit into the GSXR triple tree. Using the Honda stem eliminated problems with finding the proper bearing to fit the Suzuki trees and gave the correct length also. Everything bolted right up after that. As to the arm, we extended the arm and widened it in the process to accommodate the set of Hayabusa wheels we had on hand. The process of putting the Katana arm on the bike was straight forward because we used all of the mounts from the bottom of the Katana frame and the upper mount for the shock and welded it all up onto the Honda Frame. The Katana shock has no reservoir so it cleared the oil tank with only a minor dimpling of the tank. We lowered the bike and added a V&H sidewinder fro ground clearance. We cut the stock seat down some too. I haven't taken any new pics of the bike since it was finished but i'll try to get some soon and post on my original project build thread and maybe on your thread too.

I say go for it on using the ZX7 stuff. Oh, we did use a CycleX offset front sprocket so the chain would line up and clear the tire and frame.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 09:33:37 pm »
I have used a GSXR front and swingarm, like Dragracer said, the Honda stem pressed straight into the Suzuki clamps, i had the mono shock section of the Suzuki swingarm removed and had the arm shortened. The smaller offset of the  clamps doesn't Always mean quicker steering because it actually lengthens trail, possibly slowing down the front a little.
There are heaps of bikes on this site with similar mods, try doing a search and have a read.... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.