Author Topic: Replacing Right hand switch??  (Read 892 times)

Offline CafeWild34

Replacing Right hand switch??
« on: July 28, 2011, 12:26:35 pm »
I want to replace the right hand switch on my 74 cb550 but I can't find one thatt has the headlight on/off switch. Can I just wire it so the headlight is always on and use a switch that doesn't have the on/off switch? Or is there another route I should take? Also if I could witrte it so tthe headlight on/off sitch wasn't needed could I just get a starter button and then get a handlebar kill switch? Thanks for any help I am a noob

KingCustomCycles.com

Re: Replacing Right hand switch??
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 12:46:45 pm »
Start switch can be relocated anywhere, headlight can always be on, High/low off only requires a three position switch, if you need anything else, we are here 24/7. (not me, but someone :-)

Offline RAWNOG

• Pretty pretty pretty pretty... Pretty good.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 09:59:19 am »
I hope someone reads this... I have the same question. I bought a 1976 switch with no headlight on/off and theres one wire that seems to be different (Br/R) the rest I found in the wiring diagram. I have 1975 cb550k, what do I need to do to make this work?
1975 CB550k 

Offline bord0080

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 12:17:11 pm »
. I bought a 1976 switch with no headlight on/off and theres one wire that seems to be different (Br/R) the rest I found in the wiring diagram. I have 1975 cb550k, what do I need to do to make this work?

I'm not totally sure how the 550's work, but on my 1976 750, that one wire makes a circuit with a momentary single pole double throw (SPDT) switch that also operates the starter moter.  When you push it in, the headlight goes out and the starter engages.

Offline RAWNOG

• Pretty pretty pretty pretty... Pretty good.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 01:03:53 pm »
single pole double throw (SPDT)
Does that mean the brown/red wire splits inside the harness, leading to two different locations?
1975 CB550k 

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 11:45:47 pm »
  I added the right hand side control from an old Honda CBR F3 by looking at the wires my old switch connected to and comparing with my new switch.   I then referenced both bikes' wiring diagrams to figure out what was what and bada-bing, bada-boom.
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline Frostyboy

• Retired: Never was an
  • Expert
  • Circa 1951
Last year I joined a support group for procrastinators.
We haven't met yet.
[CB550F1]