Author Topic: 1976 CB550k Build  (Read 1195 times)

Offline cmuller0420

1976 CB550k Build
« on: July 31, 2011, 12:18:03 pm »
Hello all,

So i am starting my first build of a '76 cb550k (pictures will be posted soon of where I am at)

I bought the bike off of a fellow who had plans of restoring it, but got strapped for cash and needed it sold..he had rebuilt the front suspension, regreased wheel and steering bearing, pulled the cards apart (without replacing gaskets...now 1 leaks) and did an abomination of a job of a cafe seat...

He claims the bike was up and running until he ripped the carbs apart and removed the points for his 750

So far I have done the following:

Installed clubman bars...fitted original controls and wired the hand controls in to the wiring harness

Installed new points and condensors

Things to do

Rebuild Carbs (is this something that I can do on my own, I am fairly handy mechanically speaking, but have never done a 4 carb system)

Rebuild front brakes - found a guy with a 6 spoke rim (looks like a lester wheel but says made in japan, and has a dual disc setup on it

Re-spoke rear wheel - found a good condition rim and will polish hub

Aquired an older 4-1 exhaust to put on the b ike (was cheap and hopefully fits a k series)

Find or build a cafe seat

Couple questions to start:

After reconnecting the wiring harness...where is the best place to hide the electrical connections ...should I pull it back under the tank, or tuck it below the light display?

What size of master cylinder would be adequate for a deal 550 disc setup?

I found a rear disc setup as well (i think from a 750) would it be easy to fabricate (or is there a part already out there) to allow this to be installed?

I have done some reading on chain and sprocket sizing...I am looking for an in town rip around bike...so I was going to go with a 17 front and 37 rear sprocket set and a 530-100 chain....however I have seen mention of a 510-100 chain...lighter and therfore a bit more power...will this chain work on the same sprockets? or will I need a whole new set?

That is about it for the first post...will post pics soon and will keep the thread updated with where I get to

Offline Nortstudio

• Not nearly an
  • Master
  • Just getting started...
    • MotoPreserve
Re: 1976 CB550k Build
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 08:50:34 pm »
Great bike to start a build with.  I have the same one, and have been very lucky with being able to fix everything myself.

You can definitely do the carb kits yourself.  Take pics along the way and you will be fine.  It's pretty self explanatory. You don't need to remove the 4 from the plate.  All the cleaning and replacing can be done on the bike.

The wires all go into the headlight bucket.  It's really the only place for them to go.

Can't help you on the rear disc setup.  But that would be nice.  I know that later 750f super sports had dual front disc, one of those MCs might work.

Good luck.  Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.  Post those photos!
1976 CB550K...in progress
1975 CL360...eventually custom
2009 Husqvarna TE610

a blog about wrenching in Brooklyn, NY

“Success is dependent on effort.”
~Sophocles