Author Topic: ARD On CB550? Differences?  (Read 2994 times)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: ARD On CB550? Differences?
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2016, 07:36:02 pm »
 I can usually get compound set in 15 minutes or under and i mean a sef holding fit..
I can run you through it in a paragraph..I developed a trick that takes most of the time out of it..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2016, 07:45:10 pm »
The only short-cut I know is to mount the shaft in the chuck, then indicate off the back-side of the taper at the center-line, with the indicator mounted on the compound. When the indicator reads zero across the taper, the angle is correct, but it's a trial and error adjustment. If you know a faster, more accurate way, I'm all ears! ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2016, 08:04:24 pm »
Ok you got first part,mount shaft between centers or in tailstock to do that, then mount a dial indicator on the compound a few inches from pivot.
 Now take a test cut in a scrap piece, now put three or 4 felt pen lines on the test shaft.. insert and wiggle back and forth..do not spin.
 Then read the contact on the part..via the smeared lines.. it tells you the direction to tweak..... adjust compound about 4-6 thou depending on the contact.. and see how that works a few more and you will nail it..
 without the dial to control your adjustment.. you go back and forth too many time..tend to overshoot and just takes too long..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2016, 08:46:13 pm »
It's pretty difficult to dial-in the compound angle accurately, when you have to loosen the clamp nuts, then "bump" the compound, tighten the nuts, then check again. With no positive way to adjust the angle, it comes down to trial and error. ;)
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2016, 08:52:55 pm »
 Yes but.. I only lightly snug the bolts for testing, and before I used the dial indicator it took many times longer. it changed setup dramatically. One more thing for testing better than felt marker..  chalk if you got it.
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2016, 09:06:47 pm »
I've found that just tightening the nuts has a change. I was trying to hold very close tolerances, as even tenths near the center resulted in .015" run-out at the O.D. of a VW flywheel. I have to admit that in Jag's case, a timing belt is much more forgiving. ;)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2016, 09:22:01 pm »
 my compound has 3 bolts . i use 2 whilst setting up. then snug progressively to tighten.. but mine pretty much stays put.. if it does move i can tap it back to dial setting with a soft hammer.. its all about increased control.
dodogas99@gmail.com