Author Topic: Photo Scavenger Hunt  (Read 182807 times)

Offline marknpb

• Enthusiast
Re: Photo Scavenger Hunt
« Reply #775 on: July 23, 2012, 06:58:09 pm »
Uh-oh....there's a brick road just 7 miles from me....you guys better hurry, i'm off work tomorrow! lol
1974 CB750
too nice to cafe, going to make it nice and ride it,
looking for second frame with title to cafe out

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #776 on: July 23, 2012, 07:32:57 pm »
Ya snooze ya lose. ;D  Wooden plank road for extra credit.  The spot on the pavement is NOT from my bike. ;D

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 07:34:30 pm by srust58 »

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #777 on: July 23, 2012, 08:10:03 pm »
Next up....... back on the train theme.....how about a boxcar, tanker car, grain car.....with graffiti.

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
Photo Scavenger Hunt
« Reply #778 on: July 24, 2012, 08:25:14 am »
Well done Srust!  Suuuure that's spot isn't yours ;) !!
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Online 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
Photo Scavenger Hunt
« Reply #779 on: July 25, 2012, 03:49:34 am »
Lucky break this morning.

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
Photo Scavenger Hunt
« Reply #780 on: July 25, 2012, 05:30:05 am »
Talk about being at the right place at the right time!!  Well done!

What's the next mark?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Online 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #781 on: July 25, 2012, 05:53:13 am »
The next mark is oil derrick. I figured they are all over USA not just Texas :)

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
Photo Scavenger Hunt
« Reply #782 on: July 25, 2012, 06:41:50 am »
Just to be clear, a Derrick is the tower-like thingy that Roughnecks use to drill the well.  It's not the "bobbing bird" thingy that does the pumping, right?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?

Offline Soulsk8r

« Reply #783 on: July 25, 2012, 06:49:22 am »
i would like to play but i have to wait for the next mark because i'm pretty sure there are no oil derricks in virginia.   i had to look that one up on google to figure out what it is.

i am stoked about the bonus points too because all i have to do is hop on my bike and i get bonus points for having a woman on my bike.  :) 
Newbie rider, newbie vintage bike owner - Honda CB750K1.

Online 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #784 on: July 25, 2012, 07:32:11 am »
I had the vision of that bobbing bird like thingy - but tower is cool too.

Soulsk8r I think you need bikini clad man on your motorcycle to rake in those extra points :) :D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:36:03 am by 70CB750 »

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
Photo Scavenger Hunt
« Reply #785 on: July 25, 2012, 10:41:41 am »
Did a little research (education: another benefit of this thread!) and the "bobbing bird" thingies are called Pump Jacks.

Not my mark, so it's up to you, but what say the mark is a Pump Jack with double bonus points for an actual oil well Derrick?! 
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?

scrapvalue

« Reply #786 on: July 30, 2012, 04:37:10 pm »
When is the last time anyone saw an oil drilling platform that wasn't way off the beaten trail?
This would have been a better mark for the adventure riders website.
Besides, our current administration has done everything in their power to eliminate all oil drilling in the USA.
I believe this will be another mark that goes on achieved. May as well call another mark now.

Online 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #787 on: July 30, 2012, 04:44:59 pm »
I should not be defending my mark but I saw them in Ohio and Pensylvania.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #788 on: July 30, 2012, 04:50:34 pm »
I should not be defending my mark but I saw them in Ohio and Pensylvania.
maybe not so much in scarpvalues NOTW, but many in southern IN,IL,OH, North KY, TN. Small, not like TX, but still there.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #789 on: July 30, 2012, 05:29:07 pm »
When is the last time anyone saw an oil drilling platform that wasn't way off the beaten trail?
Besides, our current administration has done everything in their power to eliminate all oil drilling in the USA.
I believe this will be another mark that goes on achieved. May as well call another mark now.

This is a strange statement.  There may not be oil wells in your backyard but I'm surprised you have not heard we are in an oil boom.  Oil production is up 20% since 2008 and last year was the first time since 1949 the the U.S. was a net exporter of fuel.

I've been lurking this thread in anticipation of getting my K6 back out on the road.  There are tons of them in the alluvial pains of central Illinois near me.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 05:31:10 pm by JeffSTL »

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #790 on: July 30, 2012, 05:50:49 pm »
Back in the '70s, Union Oil painted the pump jacks around Santa Maria, CA to look like grasshoppers. They had balls mounted on long coil springs for antenna, that bobbed around as the "head" went up and down.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

scrapvalue

« Reply #791 on: July 30, 2012, 05:53:45 pm »

This is a strange statement.  There may not be oil wells in your backyard but I'm surprised you have not heard we are in an oil boom.  Oil production is up 20% since 2008 and last year was the first time since 1949 the the U.S. was a net exporter of fuel.

I've been lurking this thread in anticipation of getting my K6 back out on the road.  There are tons of them in the alluvial pains of central Illinois near me.

Why are we exporting our oil and importing oil from somewhere else?
Don't make no sense.

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #792 on: July 30, 2012, 06:22:27 pm »
No oil here so am sitting this one out.  About the closest we come is sending loads of fracking sand to North Dakota.  How about a picture of a load of sand? ;D

From an article in the USA Today.  It looks like Obama has been a miserable failure in eliminating all the oil drilling in this country. ;D

The U.S. exported more oil-based fuels than it imported in the first nine months of this year, making it likely that 2011 will be the first time since 1949 that the nation is a net exporter of such goods, primarily diesel.

That's not all. The U.S. has reversed another decades-long trend. It began producing more crude oil in 2008 than the year before and accelerated that upswing 3% in the first nine months of this year compared with the same period in 2010. That production has helped reduce U.S. imports of crude oil by about 10% since 2006.

"It's dramatic. It's transformative," Edward Morse, a former senior U.S. energy official who now directs global commodities research at Citigroup, says of the historic shifts. He says the U.S. is importing a smaller share — 49% in 2010, down from 60% in 2005 — of the oil it uses, adding: "We're moving toward energy independence."
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:34:11 pm by srust58 »

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #793 on: July 30, 2012, 06:30:42 pm »
There is a lot of misinformation about what Obama has actually done to drilling. And I certainly don't know all of it. But having just listened to a feature on it... seems the pumping going on now was all permitted years ago and took this long to get on stream. and a lot of it is on private land, beyond the gov reach. The new admin has made it much more difficult to get leases on public land in the last few years. This won't impact drilling for a couple of years out. So the current admin gets to say, hey lots of drilling going on now, at the same time they can say to greenies, Hey we put the curbs on new drilling. Typical politics.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Online 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #794 on: July 30, 2012, 06:37:18 pm »
I love the discussion, but somebody please make the mark and lets move on.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #795 on: July 30, 2012, 09:56:32 pm »
Here's a pic of some old derricks while we're waiting for someone to make the mark.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #796 on: July 31, 2012, 12:48:48 am »
Heres what I got.  There was a derrik a few miles away but it was very busy.
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker

Online 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #797 on: July 31, 2012, 05:08:30 am »
Beautiful!

What is the next mark?

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #798 on: July 31, 2012, 09:04:29 am »
How about something easy.  Your bike with the temp over 100.    Bonus points for every deg over.
Like this.

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #799 on: August 01, 2012, 07:31:54 am »
To hot?   I figured Jeff or Gordon would have this already.