Author Topic: Manx GP - awesome footage  (Read 1798 times)

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
Manx GP - awesome footage
« on: September 07, 2011, 01:31:09 am »
So I managed to convince the Missus to come and watch practice at the Manx GP with me. She said "OK as long as they've got seats"! Off we go to Hillberry grandstand - well a plank on a scaffold is a seat isn't it?

The newcomers who missed guided practice came through with a Marshall and then 10 minutes with no action. Next thing all the red flags go out and the helicopter goes up. Can only mean one thing, bad news for someone. As it turned out Brian Purdy crashed his 600 in School House corner on the approach to Ramsey, a super fast left hander that is so quick, a lot of riders have to use the bus stop on the right just to make the corner.

Fearing for the worst for Brian, it turned out from the Marshall's radio that he was actually relatively OK but his bike had burst into flames on impact and melted sections of the tarmac. Result, cancelled practice and we sat at Hillberry hoping for more practice action forlornly for two hours, getting eaten by a host of tiny flies.

Imagine the scene at Ramsey though, how frightening must that be seeing it first hand? Imagine if you were the next racer on the road coming round that left hander and on a classic race bike with clasic brakes.....OMG!

http://youtu.be/WVYL2V9X_C8
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Re: Manx GP - awesome footage
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 02:23:06 am »
It sure un-nerved him, very steady at the next turn. ;)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline NickO

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 03:56:58 am »
Sheeeeeeeeiteeeeeeeeee

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 09:54:01 am »
could be worse , one morning practice i came face to face with an old woman driving a mini ! . she was off to see her sister , the wrong way round the course during practice .  not good at begarrow , i have never been fast round there from that day to this .

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 10:46:00 am »
Wow. :o
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 10:46:39 am »
could be worse , one morning practice i came face to face with an old woman driving a mini ! . she was off to see her sister , the wrong way round the course during practice .  not good at begarrow , i have never been fast round there from that day to this .
Double wow! :o

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
    • Moonpie
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 10:56:29 am »
Jeepers Simon that must have been one heck of a fright - blind apex and all! The Manx car drivers are about the worst on the planet though...
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 11:13:44 am »
have just seen "closer to the edge" 3D  following Guy Martin at the Island, brilliant and scarey at the same time.
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 03:00:43 pm »
Cant see the problem Simon, all you had to do was flash your high beam and honk :)

Closest call I had was at 100mph on the main straight while i was all bent down for top speed.... Lifted my head up towards the next braking point and I am like, hell, why is this photographer taking pictures from the middle of the track during a race? Was a fallen rider that ended up his crash right on the racing line, kneeling on the ground, looking at me. Missed him by a foot or two. Bike was in flames a few hundred yards down the track.

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 03:55:25 pm »
One time Road Atlanta front straight on the start a guy's 4-1 came off in front of us going into turn one!Another time about to pass a guy on back straight,when what;s that just fell off his bike?The OIL FILTER(how'd either one get through tech?)Sideways @ 100+ ;D,like ice skating,yeh that's it!!! ::)Bill. Wish I had pics of the oil ride! ;D
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 03:18:11 pm »
One time Road Atlanta front straight on the start a guy's 4-1 came off in front of us going into turn one!Another time about to pass a guy on back straight,when what;s that just fell off his bike?The OIL FILTER(how'd either one get through tech?)Sideways @ 100+ ;D,like ice skating,yeh that's it!!! ::)Bill. Wish I had pics of the oil ride! ;D
Bill....I remember back in the day when Fram filters were blowing off the engines. Fram had outsourced the production and lets just say things were not up to spec. Tracks would not allow Fram filters for quite a while.
 Personally...I only use OEM filters for ANY bike. I recommend that to anybody with a bike.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 04:31:21 pm by MRieck »

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
    • Moonpie
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 11:37:49 pm »
We should start a racing near miss therad I think :-)
I got passed on the back straight at Aintree by Tim Poole on his fireblade - one of the fastest guys around at the time. I was on my little Ikuzawa single. He just pulled in fron tof me and next thing he disappeared.....in a huge cloud of smoke. Like the guy in the video I rode into the smoke cloud not being able to see anything. Somewhere in the middle there was Tim and some of his bike - one of the rods having let go and it and the pistonsmashed up through the head and the tank! I definitely had lady luck riding with me that day...
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE