Author Topic: What's the deal with the seat strap?  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
What's the deal with the seat strap?
« on: August 27, 2011, 09:21:16 pm »
One of the things I've always liked most about these bikes is that they're beautiful while remaining almost entirely utilitarian in design.  I'm very much a "form follows function" kind of guy.  I really like the fact that it's almost impossible to find anything on my sohc4s that doesn't serve a useful purpose.  With the obvious exception of the Honda and model designation emblems, which are necessary for marketing purposes, what else on these bikes doesn't fill a need? 

I know some would say "that stupid air box!", but I'm not gonna go there. ;)

So what's up with the seat strap?  I know on the earlier 750 models that only had a one-sided grab bar to assist getting the bike on the center stand, the strap may have been meant to provide the passenger somewhere else to hold onto instead of hanging onto the driver, but all later models have a full grab bar that works much better for that purpose, yet many still retained the strap. 

Was it just an aesthetics thing, or to perpetuate a defining and visible characteristic of the world-changing K0, or am I overlooking something obvious?

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Re: What's the deal with the seat strap?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 09:57:25 pm »
I don't know for dead sure, except I do know this: I saw a guy & guy riding a (diecast) K0 in Peoria one summer night in 1971, obviously a showoff ride. The passenger had hold on the rear grab bar when the rider popped and pulled a burning wheelie. You know what happened next to the guy on the back: Having the bar in hand flipped him straight out back onto the pavement. He broke the taillight lens with his chin on the way down, had some nasty cuts on his face.

I suspect Honda had seen this possibility, too, hence the long-lived seat strap (that can only be grabbed if the driver is sitting down and forward...).  :o
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

KingCustomCycles.com

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 04:18:32 am »
Beware seat strap holders, if the seat has been recovered, and a cheap immitation used, the strap will not be reinforced inside as the originals were and will fail when most needed.  Personally, I only give rides to women and encourage them to not use the strap, for their own safety...........

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 06:47:52 am »
I only give rides to women and encourage them to not use the strap, for their own safety...........

And my pleasure....................
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 07:31:16 am »
I think Mr Honda and his design team intended it more for eye appeal and cosmetics than a functional strap for the second passenger. The designers really missed the mark if that was there true purpose for the strap and I know they were much smarter than that, just look at the bike and you can tell that. The lay out of the bike is almost flawless. The strap divides the front and back section of the seat rather nicely I think, and without it the seat looks almost plain.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 07:53:24 am by dhall57 »
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline octagon

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 07:40:20 am »
what about earlier cycles, european or japanese - wonder if the strap is a like a style echo from some of them

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 08:26:18 am »
Gordo, I think it was only intended for use when GUYS ride #$%*  ;) I had to give Paul a lift in Oakley, KS when it got dark since he had no headlight and thought of that very issue  ;D
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline tlbranth

• Master
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 09:41:45 am »
I do know that in the 60's in California anyway, it was a legal requirement to have a strap if a passenger was on the bike.
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1970 CB750 K0
1975 GL1000
1999 GL1500
2002 VT750-CDA ACE - Momma's bike
Terry

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 09:59:25 am »
I don't know for dead sure, except I do know this: I saw a guy & guy riding a (diecast) K0 in Peoria one summer night in 1971, obviously a showoff ride. The passenger had hold on the rear grab bar when the rider popped and pulled a burning wheelie. You know what happened next to the guy on the back: Having the bar in hand flipped him straight out back onto the pavement. He broke the taillight lens with his chin on the way down, had some nasty cuts on his face.

I suspect Honda had seen this possibility, too, hence the long-lived seat strap (that can only be grabbed if the driver is sitting down and forward...).  :o

One time back in the day I was on the back of a buddies '80 GS1100 heading home from the Dairy Queen.
The speed limit was 35 and we were putting along in no hurry.
I had a hold of the rear bar when suddenly without warning the driver punches it wide open.
The bike took off like spooked giant steroid-infused rabbit and I pushed forward on the grab bar as hard as I could and tried to lean forward as I started to lose my balance.

As the bike continued to accelerate I've got my hands behind my back pushing on that grab bar as hard as I can as I feel myself tipping further back and my feet starting to get light on the pegs.
I caught a glance of the speedo as it passed 90 and my vision blurred from the wind rush.

At this point I'm practically screaming at my buddy to slow down while trying to pound my helmet against his.
I was having a very clear vision of going off the back of the bike and was wondering if I would be able to exert any control at all over my trajectory once I went off and hit the asphalt at 90+ mph.

About that moment he let off the throttle and started to slow down.
My feet came back down on the pegs and I was able to lean forward and regain my balance.
As soon as I could I grabbed him around the waist in case he decided to suddenly take off again.

That was the first and last time I ever rode with that guy and that was about as scared as I've ever been on a vehicle two wheeled or four.
(No, I couldn't kill him once we got home there were too many witnesses..) >:(

/cool story bro  ;)

As far as the strap, I think it's probably 70% design element and 30% actually useful.
Both my 750's came with recovered seats and missing the straps. 
They just don't look right without the strap to break up the seat.
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 11:10:48 am »
It doesn't take a big bike to remove you from the seat: my brother's 106cc Puch (aka Sears "Allstate" brand, circa 1967) dumped me off the back of it one day. Frankly, I don't know how 2 of us rode it, as the seat in our old pictures of it looks like it is for 1 rider!  ;D
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline fmctm1sw

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 11:15:32 am »
When I redid my 550 seat, I could never figure out how to get the strap back on without putting screws through the seat cover.  It's still off...
Quote from: 754
Dude is that a tire ? or an O-ring..??

Quote from: inkscars
This is not a pod thread
This is not a #$%* on my vacuum gauges thread
This is a help or GTFO thread.

1973 CB350F
1973 CB350G
1975 CB550K
1983 GL650I
1973 CB750K3 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=92888.0)
1984 Kawasaki KLT-250 (AKA 3 wheeler of death)
1994 Honda TRX300
1999 Honda TRX250

Offline unheatedgarage

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 12:33:56 pm »

/cool story bro  ;)

Yes, actually, it was a cool story, bro -- I found myself puckering just reading it!

Good job.

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 09:37:04 pm »
Considering myself a practical man too, I have to admit that the only purpose of some things are just to look good. A paint in the wall doesn't have any practical purpose, but to give pleasure in viewing.

Bikes have 99% useful parts, but there are still some parts that are there just to make the bike look good. Like the seat or tank trim. Or the tank emblem -well, that's useful for the make, not the rider-. Or the candy paint. If the bike doesn't appeal to the eye, people won't buy it.

I know in some countries the seat strap is mandatory as a "safety device". I doubt any pillion would feel it to be safe, but again, it has to be there like seat belts. You can ride without using them, but they have to be there.

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 09:51:28 pm »
Always nice to see a reply from Raúl! :)

I definitely agree there can be some things that are nice to have for no other purpose than to look good, but when it comes to the sohc4, it seems Honda did a fantastic job of simply making what was needed look good, and strayed away from adding any superfluous pretty parts.  Even the trim around the bottom of the seat and tank seems to serve a purpose.  I think the bottom edge of the seat and tank are areas that can be prone to getting nicks and chips from normal use that would damage the protective coverings and lead to accelerated wear. 

I was just curious about the seat strap because it's pretty much the only part that I couldn't think of a true need for, but if certain countries or states that these bikes were being sold in required the strap, then it makes sense why they would all have them.

Are there any other parts any of you can find that don't seem to serve a function other than to look good?

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 10:20:13 pm »

As the bike continued to accelerate I've got my hands behind my back pushing on that grab bar as hard as I can as I feel myself tipping further back and my feet starting to get light on the pegs.
I caught a glance of the speedo as it passed 90 and my vision blurred from the wind rush.

At this point I'm practically screaming at my buddy to slow down while trying to pound my helmet against his.

I had a very similar experience on the back of a Kawasaki triple, except my feet came up about 2 feet off the pegs, then about 3 feet off the pegs when he shifted to 2nd. The taillight was the only thing that kept me from going off the back of the bike. I couldn't even scream; it was as if I had no air in my lungs. He wouldn't have heard me over the exhaust even if I were screaming at the top of my lungs.... Then he slammed on the brakes and I got slammed forward into him, almost knocking him over the handlebars.   
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline petercb750

• Master
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 11:58:13 pm »

I had a very similar experience on the back of a Kawasaki triple, except my feet came up about 2 feet off the pegs, then about 3 feet off the pegs when he shifted to 2nd. The taillight was the only thing that kept me from going off the back of the bike. I couldn't even scream; it was as if I had no air in my lungs. He wouldn't have heard me over the exhaust even if I were screaming at the top of my lungs.... Then he slammed on the brakes and I got slammed forward into him, almost knocking him over the handlebars.

I so identify with this - I did the same thing to a mate who was on the back of my CB back in the 70s - we hit a big spoon drain that I knew was coming up (he was sitting with his hands in his jacket pockets and a smoke in the mouth, as you do) and I as I hit it I cracked open the throttle and launched - his feet ended up under my armpits, and in my mirror I could see his arms flapping about and his right hand was actually pushing off the bitumen as he tried to push himself back up (all this at about 40mph). I braked hard and he shot forward, and ended up sort of alongside me still clawing for grip on anything he could reach, including my arms which made it hard to control the bike. Eventually he got back into the seat and thumped me that hard in the kidney I had to pull over to catch my breath.....plus I was crying laughing. He was as white as a ghost. ;D
1972 750/4 K2 (his), 1976 400/4 (hers)
1982 CB1100RC (ours)

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 01:41:27 am »
Always nice to see a reply from Raúl! :)

I spare my contributions, so you can consider yourself lucky :-)

I have never trusted the rear grab bar. I have ridden pillion maybe four or five times in my lifetime, most of them before I got my licence, and I always preferred to get a hold to the driver. Slight to avoid much body contact, but enough to get a quick grip if the situation needed it.

On the other hand, when I was in the isle of man in 2007 to see the races, I didn't have my bike with me. I was a guest in a friend's house, and he, not being a biker, had some biker friends. One of them offered me to ride pillion with him. I couldn't put down an offer to ride on the very IOM TT course, even if it was pillion.

That guy rode a CBR1100XX. I didn't know him and he told me to get a grip to the passenger grab handles. I was reluctant at first, but he rode very carefully, both in braking and accelerating. I can tell you in some places of the mountains I could see more than 120 mph on the clock and never felt in danger! As my friend told me beforehand, "I don't ride bikes but I would have no qualms riding with him"

Now back to the original topic. I remember an article about the CB750 written at the time -bought the old magazine-. The article started like this: "This is the CB750, we remove the gas tank and then there are some springs for the positive throttle closing. The springs are shrouded with a rubber tube. We couldn't find a reason for the tube to be there. Asked the Honda engineers and they said: "they are there to keep the spring from pinching the carb vent tube". We think the chances are unlikely, but this is the way Honda engineers look after every minute detail.

Later bikes have more superfluous things. Many of them have plastic thingies between the tank and the frame to "keep the bike flow", or fake air scoops like the V-Max, or fake air filters like the Yamaha Virago. 70's bikes in general, Hondas in particular -as are the ones I'm more familiar with- were very basic in the design area. The evolved from the classic english bike, the english bike evolved from the bicycle design, and the bicycle is a mechanical copy of the horse. I mean, nobody started from a blank piece of paper. Headlights were round because the parabola is the geometrical figure that can make a set of diverging light rays to converge in parallel. Now bikes have futuristic headlights, with multiple reflector sections. They may be more efficient when it comes to putting the light where it is more needed, but much of it is because today, buyers like futuristic looks and buy vehicles because theirs are out-of-fashion. Nothing wrong about new bikes, I love them too, but just like Gordon, there is something about the simplicity of old bikes that rings a bell inside of me.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 02:23:58 am »
i have a david silvers reproduction seat and the grab strap isnt real strong looking,i should have swapped it for the one on the bike i sold.

Hinomaru

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 06:43:22 am »
Gordon, It’s my understanding that a factory seat strap was provided anytime factory passenger pegs were installed. This was to allow the passenger a grab point when mounting / dismounting the bike. It wasn’t just Honda that provided seat straps and passenger pegs. This feature can be seen in many other makes / models from back in the day.

Offline 05c50

• 05c50
  • Expert
    • Classic Motorcycle Solution
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 06:56:06 am »
I always figured that it was a date evaluator. If her rear was too big to fit on "her half" of the seat, than she wasn't riding with me. ;) :)

..........Paul
Wear a helmet,the life you save may be your own.Ask me how I know.               CB650C,CB550F,GL1000,CB750A