Author Topic: Petcock leak (drip) in off position  (Read 5447 times)

Offline thomellis

Petcock leak (drip) in off position
« on: September 06, 2011, 05:12:26 pm »
I've searched around, and tried a few things but I just can't seem to get this little bugger to stop leaking.  There are no external leaks, just a slow drip which eventually leads to one of my bowls overflowing if I leave the bike sitting overnight.

I just replaced the fiber washers to see if that might be the culprit, but no dice.  The bike is a '72 cb750, but I don't think it is the stock tank.  Everything works fine in the On or Reserve position, but when I switch it to Off, it leaks drip by drip.

Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks for any advice/help you can provide.

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
Re: Petcock leak (drip) in off position
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 05:34:45 pm »
My 750KO had the same type petcock leak. Took apart and cleaned and replaced all seals,o-rings,etc. with all OEM Honda parts and has not leak since.
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 08:33:26 pm »
From other posts here the 2 orange-red fiber looking seal washers that go under the two petcock mounting screws are critical and may be the cause of the leak if they are bad or missing.

Offline Tugboat

• Puppet
  • Master
  • '75 CB750K + '67 CL90 + '71 CT90
    • PseudoMoto
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 07:20:14 am »
My guess is it's the 4-holed rubber "washer" behind the on/off/res lever.
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing twice.

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 08:03:05 am »
My 750KO had the same type petcock leak. Took apart and cleaned and replaced all seals,o-rings,etc. with all OEM Honda parts and has not leak since.

+1.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 09:33:52 am »
Did you usw generic "Fibre" washers instead of honda parts ----- If so thats your problem as they will be thw wrong size and too thin
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline thomellis

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 10:21:51 am »
Thanks to everyone for the replies.  I did use generic fiber washers from the auto-parts store.  They seemed to fit really snug (I basically had to screw them onto the bolts), but I'm sure they weren't an exact match.  I thought maybe they might just need a bit of time to seat properly.

Looks like I may just have to end up rebuilding the petcock.  Looks like the parts are only about $10 total + s/h, so it's probably not a bad idea anyways.  I fixed the carb so it no longer overflows at least, so this is really just more of an annoyance when I have to take it off the bike.

Thanks again!

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 07:21:40 pm »
Make sure all the drains for the carbs are working well so if the petcock does continue leaking the gas will end up on your floor and not have the possibility of getting into the engine and contaminating the oil.