Author Topic: Thanks to SOHC4 and Terry in Oz....  (Read 582 times)

Offline DedHed

• Boob
  • Enthusiast
Thanks to SOHC4 and Terry in Oz....
« on: September 07, 2011, 08:59:55 am »
As I was watching the rain all weekend wishing I could ride, I did the next best thing - tinker on the 750K4.

the k4 is all stock except the Lester wheels and the 4-2 exhaust, both were provided by the PO, or the PPO, who knows.
In June I pulled the carbs for a soak, clean and education - all went well. As I do not (Yet) own a sync gauge I took it to a well known Honda guy here in town to sync up the carbs. I was able to bench sync them well enough to make it to his shop (Again thanks to the brain-trust here). However when I got the bike back (The next day - Thanks Joe!) My guy told me that there was a tiny flat spot on the way to WOT and was told to bring it back if I didn't like it. I never took it back and lived with the flat spot in acceleration.

So, here I am sitting in the garage watching the rain and decided to rough up the pads on the disk brakes to solve a little squeal, I re-assemble the brake and sitting there staring at the bike (Please tell me I'm not the only one that does that...) and I see it.... There are gaps between the airbox and the boots to the carbs... Then I can hear Terry in Oz... "Well there's your problem mate!" I took off the air box and started looking at those boots a little closer, they were all in a state of warped-ness around the carb side.... so here is my method of installing not so perfect boots on the carbs.

Hit the boots lightly with a heat gun - learned here
Mount the boots on the carbs first - I held the air box in place with a piece of wire on the frame mounts until they were in place and clamped down.
Pushed the airbox on the boots to the "Slot" on the boots.

So it quite raining last night and I rode in to work today... It is like a different bike today... no flat spot.

To make a long rambling story a little longer....

I owe it to reading this forum and picking up advice from the brain trust!
Thanks fellows and special thanks to Terry - Good on you!
See you at Barber's!
Phil
CB750 K4

Offline bjatwood

• I never claimed to be an
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB750-K3
    • Minbikers Proboards
Re: Thanks to SOHC4 and Terry in Oz....
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 10:26:21 am »
That post was "Spot On" LOL
Glad you finally got it worked out!
And no your not the only one that sits and looks at your bike!
My wife thinks I'm in a trance when I start "tinkering" with my garage "QUEEN"!  :P
Brian

I believe that the Finest things are the most thoughtfully made, not the most expensive!
http://minibikers.proboards.com/

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: Thanks to SOHC4 and Terry in Oz....
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 05:49:43 pm »
G'Day Phil, no worries mate, glad you got it sorted. Cheers, Terry.  ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)