Author Topic: '76 400F Supersport Project (there is 2 of them...)***Pictures Now Posted***  (Read 12424 times)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
Re: '76 400F Supersport Project (there is 2 of them...)
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2012, 01:02:10 pm »
congrats, and keep at it....Larry

Offline zachz

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2012, 02:48:53 pm »
Based on past experience - customs tends to slow packages down significantly going both ways at the US/Canadian border, both from experience receiving packages while in school at McGill and when receiving packages in the US from family there, so I don't know that I'd place all of the blame on WHH.

Sounds like good progress!  Pics are needed!

Offline Operator

• Someday I will live up to being a
  • Expert
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2012, 09:16:20 am »
I get the customs issue, but when I phone 2 and a half weeks after I placed my order and the guy tells me he is just boxing everything up........I will definitely pin that one on the vendor.
If ever there was a creator of bastard sons, it is the open road, for she has claimed so many young men yearning for freedom......

1973 CB750 K3
1976 CB400F (Cafe Project)
1979 Yamaha XS400 (Currently up for Sale)

Offline Operator

• Expert
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2012, 11:41:10 am »
Ok, update time!!

Since my last post, here is the list.

First the issues I am currently dealing with:

-master cylinder rebuilt, having a few issues, I think I may have put something in backwards as you can't see the printed diagrams very well. It doesn't seem to be pumping much brake fluid. If I remove the banjo connection on the MC and pump the lever, it just seems to dribble out. Is this normal or should it be shooting out? If someone has a better, clearer diagram that would be great.

-rebuilt and reinstalled the front brake caliper. Pads seemed to be seated correctly, but when I tightened the bolts, the outside caliper is pressing against the disc. Pad not seated right? plse let me know if I am missing something obvious

-exhaust reassembled and installed.
-valve clearances set
-points clearances set
-new spark plugs
-cleaned up coils
-carbs set up and synced
-swapped seats for the one in better condition
-general cleaning up the whole way through

Paint for the tank is forthcoming, for now just getting it roadworthy is priority #1

Last thing to be finished, track down wiring gremlin, rear light works great, nothing on the front end lights up nor does the electric start function. Going at it tonite with a multimeter to see if there is an issue somewhere. All the fuses are good to go but no lights.

Once the brakes are sorted and the lights work, it'll be getting a licence plate and insurance.

Special thanks to my friend Tim who walked me through the valves, timing and carb sync without making me feel like an idiot. He took the time to teach me, not just do it for me.

And lastly, my wife took it out for a little test ride around the school parking lot and loves it!!!

There really is something about doing the work yourself that is very rewarding, this has truly become a labour of love, especially in this case where it is for my wife, who has sacrificed so much to support me in life.

Thanks again guys!!

If ever there was a creator of bastard sons, it is the open road, for she has claimed so many young men yearning for freedom......

1973 CB750 K3

Offline Operator

• Expert
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2012, 12:08:09 pm »
Long Story short.......

Lots of reading, checking, rechecking........yep, IT IS DONE.

Handed the keys over to my beautiful wife today at lunch and we had our first ride together this afternoon!!

Thanks to all who chimed in along the way. Pics are coming.

1973 CB750 K3

Offline Mugen_Stumpo

• Hot Shot
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2012, 11:00:04 am »
pics?

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2012, 07:17:24 pm »
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Operator

• Expert
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2012, 07:24:58 am »
Tech issues and a weeks worth of holidays.....pics are coming.

1973 CB750 K3

Offline Operator

• Expert
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2012, 11:10:05 am »
So, finally, here are the pics of the finished project!!!!

There were times that I never thought we would get here.....

Since last post she has put about 350 miles on her new bike and is loving it.

Minor issues to sort out:
Signal lights are somewhat intermittent at the moment.
Still can't figure out why the horn won't work.
I think the #2 float is sticking as sometimes on start up (when kicking it over) and on shutdown (with the gas still turned on) she is getting some gas coming out of the #2 overflow hose.

Still a little work to go but it is an amazing sight to be riding down the highway with my beautiful wife beside me, on classic Honda's!!!

You know what I mean

Thanks to all who had a hand in this:
Alistair
Willem
SOHCDigger
Tim
Phil
Ian
and of course, my beautiful wife for the support and encouragement.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 05:51:12 am by Operator »

1973 CB750 K3

Offline Operator

• Expert
Quick update,

Carb issues seem to be sorted out, not leaking gas anymore
Found the bad ground in the signals
Horn still wont work......

Anyone know a good resource for tracking down new airbox rubber?? Idle keeps climbing and I think it is because of cracks in the rubber between the airbox and carbs, possibly the rubbers between the engine and carbs too. Would like to replace them all.

1973 CB750 K3