Author Topic: General: Chain Adjusting Comments  (Read 1225 times)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
General: Chain Adjusting Comments
« on: September 07, 2011, 09:22:39 am »
We've had several chain adjusting threads. The question is always: on the centerstand or no?  Many manuals say yes, and that certainly is the convenient way. But without proper adjustments it is not right.

The wheel moves thru an arc as it rises and falls. At the top and bottom of the arc, it is closer to the drive sprocket than at the middle of the arc. To get a proper adjustment it must be at the middle of the arc. But that means not on the centerstand. I discovered this on my own many years ago, as I had always been taught and read to do it on the centerstand.

If you adjust it on the centerstand, then when you drop it down and put some weight on it, it will be WAY TOO tight. All that tension will be in the cush drive and the wheel bearings.

While perusing my Clymers manual i stopped at the chain adjustment section and low and behold "turn the chainadjuster nuts (sic, sb bolts) equally until the chain has .75in slack on the bottom run with the rider on the machine!"

So there it is. The way i determined to do this, as I work alone usually,  was to remove the lower shocks mounts and prop the swingarm up with a bottle jack so the wheel could still spin. Raise the swingarm till it was at its furthest distance from the drive sprocket and set the chain. Reattach the lower mts, and see how much slack the chain had at the lower spot. More like 1.5 to 2". So on the centerstand, that's where i set the chain slack, knowing that with weight on the bike the chain would be at its proper slack.

And then importantly tighten the axle to 70ft lbs. Most people have never even tightened a nut that tight. If you are using the tool kit tool, you would need to stand on it (assuming you weigh 150lbs or so) to get it that tight. A 1 ft long breaker bar would need nearly half your body weight on it. Don't scrimp. IF the cotter pin hole doesn't line up, go tighter not looser.

IMO
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
Re: General: Chain Adjusting Comments
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 09:57:14 am »
That's how I've always done it, just less scientifically. ;D  I never actually measured the extra slack the chain needs when on the center stand, I just get a feel for where it's supposed to be when set properly and stick with that. 

Offline bjatwood

• I never claimed to be an
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB750-K3
    • Minbikers Proboards
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 10:21:10 am »
This has got to be one of the tasks I have done the most since gettin my 750 in May. I know I killed the chain with it being to tight on my centerstand, on one of the tightneing "jobs" I will give this "technique" a try with my new chain by using my wife sitting on the bike towards the back of it. She doesn't weigh much compared to my a$$. Thanks for the tip MC!
Brian

I believe that the Finest things are the most thoughtfully made, not the most expensive!
http://minibikers.proboards.com/

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 10:25:52 am »
This has got to be one of the tasks I have done the most since gettin my 750 in May. I know I killed the chain with it being to tight on my centerstand, on one of the tightneing "jobs" I will give this "technique" a try with my new chain by using my wife sitting on the bike towards the back of it. She doesn't weigh much compared to my a$$. Thanks for the tip MC!
It will seem for all the world that its too loose, especially when parked. Just be confident that you've done the right thing. And your adjusting interval will increase.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline bjatwood

• I never claimed to be an
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB750-K3
    • Minbikers Proboards
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 10:26:58 am »
I'll give it a go MC  8)
Brian

I believe that the Finest things are the most thoughtfully made, not the most expensive!
http://minibikers.proboards.com/

Offline DedHed

• Boob
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 10:52:30 am »
Indeed MC -
I use the girlfriend / wife trick as well... I just hope one doesn't find out about the other ;)

One drawback....
The girlfriend was finishing up breakfast when I was adjusting the chain... It took me a few minutes to figure out what the orange blob was on my tank... Orange Marmalade... DANG!!!!
Phil
CB750 K4

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 10:58:46 am »
Indeed MC -
I use the girlfriend / wife trick as well... I just hope one doesn't find out about the other ;)

One drawback....
The girlfriend was finishing up breakfast when I was adjusting the chain... It took me a few minutes to figure out what the orange blob was on my tank... Orange Marmalade... DANG!!!!
Phil
Geez! That could have gone so wrong...  :D
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 11:19:15 am »
I've always judged the result of adjusting the chain 'by the book' as too tight.
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 11:21:13 am »
I've always judged the result of adjusting the chain 'by the book' as too tight.
Yup. wrong book.  :D
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 11:24:39 am »
Uhm... the book I ment is in fact Honda's Owners Manual...
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 12:06:05 pm »
Uhm... the book I ment is in fact Honda's Owners Manual...
I know! My owners manual for my 88 HawkGT says centerstand also. With the equivalent of 3/4 inch slack. But do it that way and when you drop it onto its wheels and sit on it,  its too tight.

In Roberty Pirsigs book Zen and the art of Motorcycle maintenance, there is a brief discussion of owners manuals. How they are often written by a different group of people than those who designed and built the bike. In real life he edited service manuals. "technical editor on instruction manuals for machine tools at the Do-All Corporation Continental Machines Division."

Furthest thing from his studies possible.

Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Steve_K

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 01:25:28 pm »
I like to be sitting on the bike when checking the chain, too.  I like MCRider's method of removing the shocks and then putting the shocks back on.   Should make for a good reference for next time.  I also like to check in several places looking for tight spots.  I have read somewhere that  a dyno fellow says more HP gets to the back tire if the chain is loose.  Make any sense to anyone?
Steve
Steve_K

76 CB 550, 73CB750, 86 GSX-R750, 16 Slingshot
Old rides:305 Honda, CL350, 74 CB550
 05 SV1000S, 88 CBR600,92 VFR, 88 Hawk GT, 96 Ducati 900SS, 98 Kaw ZX6R, SV650

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 01:45:31 pm »
I'm certainly not a dyno expert, though I'd like to be. But as a WAG, the chain should at least be properly adjusted ie some slack at its furthest point, to get max HP. If its tight, well can anything in a bind be good?

Does the bike tend to squat on a Dyno? Does the tech sit on it? I think so to both but i don't know.

I can bet a lot of Dyno techs see bikes with chains too tight, but its not their job to adjust them. They would just make the run and go on.
Ride Safe:
Ron