Author Topic: CB750 carb question  (Read 3776 times)

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
CB750 carb question
« on: September 07, 2011, 05:39:01 pm »
I have a 1978 CB750 and the carb slide needles only have one position. So if I want to raise the needle can I just use a 0.10 shim to raise the needle?

I am installing pod filters.
It is a stock engine with 4 into one header with muffler from Cycle X.
Mainjets increased from 110 to 120.

Will I even need to raise the needle?

I know someone on this forum has been through all this.
I mean com'n in 33 years of tuning it should have been worked out already.

Offline cougar

• Hot Shot
  • Stamping Ground, Kentucky U.S.A.
Re: CB750 carb question
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 08:01:10 pm »
Hey lucky; I have a "76 cb750SOHC with a Hondamatic 4>1 header w/2 1/2" outlet w/homemade muffler (baffle), breadbox air filter and stock (I think) motor. I run round tops on mine with 120 mains. I was running Rich until I dropped my needle Down 1 groove (moving clip up 1 position). I'ld say that you will be close on the current setting. Most folks here will probably tell you to do plug chops which I won't go into. See how it runs where it's currently and go from there.   ...cougar...
I'm not prejudice, I'll weld anything that pays! Knowledge that is shared is Never Lost!!   Right is right, wrong is wrong! The truth is the truth and a lie is a lie! DEAL WITH IT ACCORDINGLY !!!   I HATE "DIAL-UP"

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 08:47:40 pm »
You can use a shim;a points washer works well.You didn't say mm or in.! ;)Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 09:12:21 pm »
You can use a shim;a points washer works well.You didn't say mm or in.! ;)Bill

Thanks Cougar for offering your experience.
That was .010 thousandths. After all we ARE in the USA.
When someone gives me mm then I have to convert it so I can visualize what we are taking about. LOL
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:21:51 pm by lucky »

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 09:18:28 pm »
Hey lucky; I have a "76 cb750SOHC with a Hondamatic 4>1 header w/2 1/2" outlet w/homemade muffler (baffle), breadbox air filter and stock (I think) motor. I run round tops on mine with 120 mains. I was running Rich until I dropped my needle Down 1 groove (moving clip up 1 position). I'ld say that you will be close on the current setting. Most folks here will probably tell you to do plug chops which I won't go into. See how it runs where it's currently and go from there.   ...cougar...

Yes I have heard this new term "plug chops" and I know what it is.
Plug chops are for WOT and most of us do not ride around with WOT very often. Mid range is more of a concern to me, and the transistions.
I am 62 and I had my first job in a Honda dealer when I was 16 .
But I also know if at WOT it keeps accelerating it is ok, and if it hits a flat spot it needs richening.

I don't like the idea of taking a plug out of the engine before it has cooled down. It can strip the threads unless it has anti seize on the threads.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 09:24:33 pm »
I guess this all brings up the question, how many of you have had to use shims to get these 1978 carbs to work right with pods? Anybody?

Cycle X even recommends turning the bottom of the slides to richen up the midrange even more.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 10:04:53 pm »
I might have a set of slides and  ajusta-needles from a 77 to sell...
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline cougar

• Hot Shot
  • Stamping Ground, Kentucky U.S.A.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 10:16:52 pm »
lucky; I meant no disrespect. Maybe I should have read your bio before posting a responce.    ...cougar...                          Sidenote>  Just looked at your profile and no mention of your previous experience, so I'ld have still made the same statement. A lot of folks at at another site specifically for the cb750 SOHC Honda would suggest plug chops for all throttle settings so the mixture could be lined out at all throttle positions. And yes I'm not partial to pulling a plug from a hot head, that's why I don't do plug chops even though I do use anti seize on my plugs. I tune mine by feel and logic.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:26:26 pm by cougar »
I'm not prejudice, I'll weld anything that pays! Knowledge that is shared is Never Lost!!   Right is right, wrong is wrong! The truth is the truth and a lie is a lie! DEAL WITH IT ACCORDINGLY !!!   I HATE "DIAL-UP"

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 11:09:56 pm »

Plug chops are for WOT and most of us do not ride around with WOT very often. Mid range is more of a concern to me, and the transistions.

Lucky, you sure ask a lot of newbie questions for someone with 46 years of Honda experience... ;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 12:27:21 am »

Lucky, you sure ask a lot of newbie questions for someone with 46 years of Honda experience... ;)

Agreed Scottly,  ;D ;D ;D and he sure likes posting in the wrong forum ::)

Lucky, please read this. http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=59303.0

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 03:59:40 am »

Just trying to save myself a lot of work.
I know this has all been worked out.
I also help others save a lot of time by offering my advice.
I am  a certified welder and welding inspector,former jet engine mechanic and worked in motorcycle shops for many years.

I do appreciate the time saving information.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 04:02:49 am »

Agreed Scottly,  ;D ;D ;D and he sure likes posting in the wrong forum ::)

Lucky, please read this. http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=59303.0

Sam. ;)

I thought that since all of you are into high performance issues that you have already learned all of this "simple stuff".  I just thought why not ask experienced engine builders.

One of my last projects was converting a Kawasaki 1500 V twin to chain drive from shaft drive ,thereby eliminating 60 lbs!,. It took 3 years of work and development. I eliminated 9 parts in the output front drive section.
Finally went direct drive from the countershaft. I offered a drawing of the drive hub and instructions with email and phone support for $200.00 No one was willing to do the work to make the modification. No sales.

What I learned is that very few people are willing to do the work, and they just want to buy a bubble wrap package that installs in 15 minutes.

Right after I finished my project Kawasaki changed their 1700 to belt drive.
It saved them a lot of weight.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 04:11:51 am by lucky »

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 05:13:56 pm »
Lucky,a 4 speed for the auto would sell,have 2 buyers lined up! ;) ;D Plugs store a lot of info,underside of piston talks also. ;D,with anti-seize should have no problems....don't get burned! Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 03:29:26 pm »
The underside of a piston? Never heard much talk about that.
I did hear on person who investigated using the crankcase pressure from the pistons going downwards to turbo charge the engine.

A SAE paper was written on the subject, It was researched and found to have not enough of a beneficial effect to be worth while. Just as filling the holes in a two stroke crank was found to be useless.