Author Topic: Electronic Guages for SOHC Hondas  (Read 40961 times)

Offline trueblue

• A person who has had many interesting experiences, some of which are true, is known as an
  • Old Timer
Re: Electronic Guages for SOHC Hondas
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2011, 05:09:54 am »
Just don't use your Australian Post's 'Express' service.  It was suppose to be 2-5 days, took 11. >:(  I think they put it in the wrong Roo pouch. ;) :)
yeah those damn roos that work transporting mail around are always losing packages ;) , I had one express post letter recently, which they 'guarantee' overnight delivery anywhere in Aus, take over a week to get to me from Brisbane, which is only 3 hrs drive down the road.
1979 CB650Z
Nothing can be idiot proofed, the world keeps producing better idiots.
Electronic Guages for your SOHC 4

Offline trueblue

• A person who has had many interesting experiences, some of which are true, is known as an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2011, 02:46:05 am »
My gauges from speedhut showed up today, I was thinking of how to install them, then I had one of those lightbulb moments, I pulled apart one of my old gauges apart just to see and it was a perfect fit, I couldn't believe it  ;D here are the parts from the origional gauge I used, btw don't crucify me for chopping up a gauge in perfect condition, they are cheap aftermarket cr@p that look the part but don't work properly.
here are the parts that are headed for my parts bin

I used the o-ring from around the glass turned it inside out and put it around the inside of the outer bezel

the screw ring that holds the gauge in the dash has to be reversed so that the square side is towards the back of the gauge and the tapered side is to the front

here is a picture of the gauge installed I have mounted the black box for the backlight onto the back of the gauge with the double sided tape provided.

and finally here are some pictures of the final product

I just have to get a rubber grommet for the back of the gauge where the wires run through
1979 CB650Z

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2011, 04:38:13 am »
I was content with my stock "you're going somewhere in the ballpark of this speed" speedo until now. Now, I'm going to have to get one of these when I rebuild my bike. Way to go, guys  ;D

My stock speedo on my CB750 K4 or K2 is 4-5 mph out when compared to a GPS unit on the bike. This is the case up to 90 mph. Much better accuracy than my 2003 VStrom.

Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline trueblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2011, 05:00:59 am »
I was content with my stock "you're going somewhere in the ballpark of this speed" speedo until now. Now, I'm going to have to get one of these when I rebuild my bike. Way to go, guys  ;D

My stock speedo on my CB750 K4 or K2 is 4-5 mph out when compared to a GPS unit on the bike. This is the case up to 90 mph. Much better accuracy than my 2003 VStrom.

My stock speedo was out 10kph at 60 and at 100 I just ignored it and went by the tacho, which was 4500rpm out at 5000rpmand once I was over 100kph I just had 2 needles waving at me and it wasn't the cables causing the issue it was the gauges
1979 CB650Z

Offline VoodooChild

« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2011, 11:14:04 am »
I didn't suspect much with mine being off until I got Passed by 2 semi trucks and a blue-haired old lady on the interstate ??? lol

Offline TicoCafe

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2011, 02:00:35 pm »
Speedhut has a 2" GPS speedo (no extras), & 2" tach so time to place an order.  Once they arrive I'll post install comments in the build thread.  Now I just have to decide what the faces should look like. ;) :)

You mention a 2" GPS Speedo in the post above...
I only see the smallest GPS SPeedo at 3 3/8" in SpeedHut Website. Are they custom making one for you?

I did find these Motogadget Knoffs from Danmoto... I wonder how well they work.  The also have an Acewell KnockOff Too!

http://www.dan-moto.com/digital-cockpits-wholesale-27_69.html?zenid=v0gh8r1h21e88vqq5odvv5q311
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 02:13:15 pm by TicoCafe »
Pura Vida!

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2011, 04:32:53 pm »
The 2" (actually 2 1/16") are about 2/3 down the page.  http://www.speedhut.com/gauge_products-gauge_type-speedometer_GPS.htm
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2011, 12:31:20 pm »
I think this settles it, I'm tired of haveing my gauges (yes both of them) bounce all over the place. I'll be keeping up on this because I have no problem spending the money if the product works.
That which does not kill you leaves cool scabs which turn into awesome scars.

'77 CB750F Come on...were almost there!

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2011, 07:51:56 pm »
Subscribed

750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline trueblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2011, 02:10:49 am »
Ok so finally here are some photos of the gauges installed on my bike, for the speedo drive I used one off a mid 80's vrf750, which bolted straight onto my front wheel, I can't guarantee it would work for your bike, mine is a 650z with dual front discs on a comstar wheel.

The wires from the speed sensor reached into the headlight bucket, the 2 wires from the speed sensor plug into the 2 wires from the speedhut gauge without the need for the extension wires that are included with the gauge, but I did have to change the plugs on both to a generic 2 wire connector.  The tacho was simple, I just set it to 1 pulse per revolution and tapped into the yellow wire on one of the coils, you could use the blue wire on the other coil to the same effect.

1979 CB650Z

Offline trueblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2011, 02:13:27 am »
Just a quick note for those thinking of it the acewell sensor doesn't work with the speedhut units, oh well that was 40 bucks down the drain. :-\ http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-chrome-acewell-2853-digital-motorcycle-speedo-speedometer-tach-tachometer-cable-honda-cb-cl-ace-s5.html
1979 CB650Z

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2011, 02:29:15 am »
well done,looks almost genuine,how stable is the tacho read out?

Offline trueblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2011, 02:33:55 am »
It is as stable as the engine rpm, I haven't seen it waver once. :D
1979 CB650Z

Offline TicoCafe

« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2011, 05:40:35 pm »

Great Job on the Install...!
What size SpeedHut gauge are those...looks like a 4 inch?
Pura Vida!

Offline trueblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2011, 02:19:00 am »

They are 3 3/8 inch ;)
1979 CB650Z

Offline TicoCafe

« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2011, 04:57:37 am »

They are 3 3/8 inch ;)

Thanks...!
I'm looking at the 4" Dual GPS Speedo/Tach from SpeedHut... I wonder if the Bigger Honda 750 stock Gauge would be a good candidate for doing somethiing similar to yours...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 06:26:24 am by TicoCafe »
Pura Vida!

Offline trueblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2011, 05:36:44 am »
The Gauges I cut up were aftermarket ones from a 750 k4 I think, the only way to know for sure is measure the gauge you intend on using as a surrogate ;)
1979 CB650Z

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2012, 03:47:04 am »
How do they look all lit up in the dark? 
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline trueblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2012, 03:48:50 am »
To be honest I haven't taken a pic in the dark, I'll run out to the shed and get a pic soon.
1979 CB650Z

Offline trueblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2012, 04:06:44 am »
Ok here is a pic of them at night

1979 CB650Z

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2012, 04:10:02 am »
Sharp!
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline trueblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2012, 04:15:52 am »
I think so ;D you can customise the gauges to exactly how you want them, daytime look, nighttime look, and any images you want on the face.
1979 CB650Z

Offline 74CB750Chopper

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2015, 09:45:49 am »
So I see it has been a couple of years since anyone posted on this but did any of you guys follow through and go with the Speedhut gauges? I am specifically interested in the performance of the GPS Speedo and the accuracy/connection of the electronic tachometer. I am almost done with a build and I am strongly considering the dual gauge for my bike.
"A man went looking for America and couldn’t find it anywhere." ~ Easy Rider

Offline slikwilli420

• Master of Disaster
  • Master
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2015, 05:26:26 pm »
I have the dual GPS/speedo unit that will be going on my bike. The guy at Speedhut was very helpful and said they get lots of orders from guys with old bikes. They even siliconed the bezels on to make them more water resistant. I built a gauge that want even on their page. I have not hooked them up yet but they seem top quality. You can see them on my build thread.
All you gotta do is do what you gotta do.

Vintage Speed Parts Mashup: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=133638.0
Rickman CR Parts Kit Refresh: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,154837.0.html
AHRMA CB750 Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,158461.0.html
AHRMA Superbike Heavyweight Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173120.0.html
'76F CB750 Patina Redemption: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,174871.0.html

Offline trueblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2015, 02:40:09 am »
So I see it has been a couple of years since anyone posted on this but did any of you guys follow through and go with the Speedhut gauges? I am specifically interested in the performance of the GPS Speedo and the accuracy/connection of the electronic tachometer. I am almost done with a build and I am strongly considering the dual gauge for my bike.

This whole thread was about me fitting these guages on my bike, now over 3 years and 5000km later (I haven't been riding much in the last 18 months) they are still going strong and look like the day they were put in.  They have been through quite a few heavy downpours and never had an issue with water ingress ;D

1979 CB650Z