Author Topic: Henry Abe all cleaned up  (Read 2766 times)

Offline RupertB

• Enthusiast
  • Roll on spring - the rain gets warmer then...
Henry Abe all cleaned up
« on: September 10, 2011, 09:45:41 am »
Finally got the wheels of the Foale frame stripped and blasted - I have an interested party but if he doesn't want them they might go on ebay. Watch this space....
Author of 'Prisoners Property and Prostitutes' by Tom Ratcliffe. Most readily available from Amazon as a paperback and electronic Kindle edition.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
Re: Henry Abe all cleaned up
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 11:05:02 am »
Disk or drum rear?
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline RupertB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 11:11:19 am »
Twin disc (or disk) front, drum rear.
Author of 'Prisoners Property and Prostitutes' by Tom Ratcliffe. Most readily available from Amazon as a paperback and electronic Kindle edition.

Offline Steve_K

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 03:28:06 pm »
They are looking good!  Did you bead blast the rims?

I have a similar pair (19 & 16) and I have been using a Dremel tool with a brass brush to get the heavier discoloration, followed with a wet scotch brite pad to even the texture.  I have been trying polish the outer rim part where it was machined.  I will be getting bearings next.

Are you painting, powder coating or leaving as it is?

I like them!
Steve
Steve_K

76 CB 550, 73CB750, 86 GSX-R750, 16 Slingshot
Old rides:305 Honda, CL350, 74 CB550
 05 SV1000S, 88 CBR600,92 VFR, 88 Hawk GT, 96 Ducati 900SS, 98 Kaw ZX6R, SV650

Offline RupertB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 03:36:51 pm »
These are 19 and 18 inch - I think the date stamp on them is 1977 (can't be bothered going out to the garage at this time of night to check!). I had them stripped and bead blasted by a local firm I have used before and trust. I will probably sell them on ebay (if the bids are good) and have a pair of hubs for lacing up with spokes as the Foale is going for the CR750-ish look. If they don't fetch enough at auction then I would possibly keep them, polish the 'star' flats and do the rest in gloss black. Again I would pass that to the same people who stripped them. Trouble with a blank canvas like the Foale is that you have to decide on everything rather than looking at a picture of a previous one and saying 'it will look like that'!

Offline RupertB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 03:38:55 pm »
Latest news - the interested party is (like most of us) a but short of readies so looks like ebay in the next few days....

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 03:43:24 pm »
I would keep those wheels...
I think they look great with teh foale frame

Offline RupertB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 12:26:56 pm »
Jaguar - you have a lot to answer for! After discussion with my better half I have decided to keep the wheels for now and get them polished and painted, working on the idea that if I don't like them when they are done then I can always sell them later. So, as ever, watch this space!! You can always buy my book though - that's far more enduring than a mere pair of wheels, and you can't get wheels on kindle. Hey ho!
Now I need some discs that look lighter weight and more modern than the Honda originals, and some calipers that look less like they have been kept in a swamp than mine do. Mainly because mine were kept in very wet conditions and are severely corroded. Any ideas?

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 01:02:45 pm »
what forks are you running?

Lots of guys run GL forks as they are 38?mm and surprisingly light

or 77-78 Cb750F forks with 1982 cb900F calipers.  they are twin piston and run a modern pad
I did a write up here on them

Offline RupertB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 01:53:48 pm »
Tony Foale suggested buying a modern front end such as an FZR600, but I live about 2 miles from Maxton's premises, so will either keep the lowers and have Maxton innards and tubes, or go for full Maxton forks which are as expensive as they are beautiful. That's today's plan, but anything can change as already proved! Much depends on how some very speculative shares behave over the next week....
But I do like the thin leg standard look - more in keeping with 70s stuff than modern USD forks to my mind.

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 03:01:13 pm »
well if Foale suggests that then i would take his word...lol
have you read his book?  its crazy...

well alot of the late 80s early 90s bikes ran conventional forks
Did Tony say why the FZRs?  just wanted to know why those over say cbr hurricane forks or something.

Offline RupertB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 03:45:13 pm »
Don't know why as such, but I think he said FZR or Kawasaki, a sort of generic modern USD fork. I am sure (REALLY sure) it is a good suggestion, but I still plan to go with something less radical looking, partly because I think the modern ones would look a bit out of keeping, but mainly because I am not a good enough rider to appreciate USD forks! We'll see though - after all, this thread shows how good I am at making my mind up!
I'll post pics at intervals anyway so you can see what does transpire.

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 04:24:26 pm »
like i said the early bikes are not USD