Author Topic: Rear Wheel Bearings for '75, CB750F  (Read 932 times)

Offline RSchaefer

• Hot Shot
Rear Wheel Bearings for '75, CB750F
« on: December 30, 2011, 09:58:47 am »
I'm confused about the installation of the rear wheel bearings for the "F" model.  I have HondaMan's book, but it addresses the "K" model rear hub (shoe brakes).  It seems that you are suppose to press in one bearing all the way to its stop (right side, including retainer) and then press in the other bearing to just hold the collar in place, is that correct?  You end up with the left bearing recessed down into the hub in order to secure the collar, rather then flush, is that correct?

Everything else I read seems to indicate to press the bearing in until its flush, but that would not capture the internal collar in the case of the "F."  What am I missing here?  I just did not want to drive the left bearing further into the hub to secure the collar if that's not what I am suppose to do.

Please help!!
'66 CB77, 305 Superhawk (Project Bike)
'72 CL 175, (Project Bike)
'75 CB750F (Project Bike, Complete)
'05 GL1800 ABS Black Cherry (Current Ride)
'87 GL1200 Wineberry Aspencade
'83 GL1100 Wineberry Aspencade
'76 GL1000 LTD
'75 GL1000 Turquoise
'69 Honda 750cc Gold
'67 Honda 305 Dream Black
'63 Honda S90 Black
'61 Honda 50 Red
GWRRA #000008
VJMC Member

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Re: Rear Wheel Bearings for '75, CB750F
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 02:55:20 pm »
I'm confused about the installation of the rear wheel bearings for the "F" model.  I have HondaMan's book, but it addresses the "K" model rear hub (shoe brakes).  It seems that you are suppose to press in one bearing all the way to its stop (right side, including retainer) and then press in the other bearing to just hold the collar in place, is that correct?  You end up with the left bearing recessed down into the hub in order to secure the collar, rather then flush, is that correct?

Everything else I read seems to indicate to press the bearing in until its flush, but that would not capture the internal collar in the case of the "F."  What am I missing here?  I just did not want to drive the left bearing further into the hub to secure the collar if that's not what I am suppose to do.

Please help!!

Are you working on a Comstar wheel? Those appeared in 1976.
Otherwise, you can install the collar into the hole, then set the first bearing in place by tapping its race flush to the hub or the inner stop, if it has one. Then flip over the wheel and install the other side, tapping it down until it just nabs the collar. Then set the cover, if yours has one, and peen an edge at the threads to hold it down.

Barring all this, maybe shoot a picture or two, and we can walk you through it?
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline RSchaefer

• Hot Shot
Re: Rear Wheel Bearings for '75, CB750F
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 05:14:02 pm »
Thanks for replying Mark.  I have the '75F w/spoke wheels.  The "K" rear hub is different for sure.  The retainer on mine is on the right side, verses the "K' on the left side.  The right bearing goes all the way in against a lip within the hub and then you screw in the retainer (no adjustment).  The left bearing presses into the hub (not flush) and captures the collar as you say.  Then a spacer and then the sprocket hub.  The outer bearing on the sprocket hub also has a retainer.

Note the retainers for both the right side of the hub and the left side of the sprocket hub have the four holes (F model), rather then the slots you show in your book for the "K" retainer.

I happened to have taken a picture of the wheel just before I disassembled it and happen to have taken the picture of the left side of the hub.  Hard to see in the picture, but the bearing IS recessed down into the hub.  So I guess I answered my own question with the picture.  Apparently you press the bearing into the left side until you "capture the bearing," not flush.

Anyway I think I got it thanks again for the reply!

Happy New Years!!!
'66 CB77, 305 Superhawk (Project Bike)
'72 CL 175, (Project Bike)
'75 CB750F (Project Bike, Complete)
'05 GL1800 ABS Black Cherry (Current Ride)
'87 GL1200 Wineberry Aspencade
'83 GL1100 Wineberry Aspencade
'76 GL1000 LTD
'75 GL1000 Turquoise
'69 Honda 750cc Gold
'67 Honda 305 Dream Black
'63 Honda S90 Black
'61 Honda 50 Red
GWRRA #000008
VJMC Member