Author Topic: removing alternator  (Read 1362 times)

Offline cobra

• Enthusiast
removing alternator
« on: September 19, 2011, 08:15:12 am »
I have now removed the alternator and used the bolt to seal the end of the shaft, what sort of oil  presure is there at the small starter ring hole? and what sort of tempreture does the crankshaft get up to at this point, the reason i ask is, while searching for something suitable to block off this hole i came across a hard plastic tube, which was a perfect fit, but would it melt? the tube i found was a sterident tablet container, but wont use it if crank gets to hot, i will have a collar turned down and use that, but to find something as simple as this was a bonus, what do you think, will it be safe or not.

Offline H2Eric

• Hot Shot
Re: removing alternator
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 03:47:21 am »
The melting point of plastics varies and I would imagine most would crack and give up the ghost in time with all the heat cycles resulting in a loss of oil pressure. As for the temperature of the crankshaft, who knows, but I guess you wouldn't want to put your hand on it when it's fully warmed up. If it was me, I'd go for the metal option every time.

Cheers
Eric
Honda CR750
Honda CB750K3
Kawasaki 750H2B
Suzuki GS750
Honda CB175
Honda CB350F
Yamaha R1

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,94588.0.html

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 11:08:00 am »
I have now removed the alternator and used the bolt to seal the end of the shaft, what sort of oil  presure is there at the small starter ring hole? and what sort of tempreture does the crankshaft get up to at this point, the reason i ask is, while searching for something suitable to block off this hole i came across a hard plastic tube, which was a perfect fit, but would it melt? the tube i found was a sterident tablet container, but wont use it if crank gets to hot, i will have a collar turned down and use that, but to find something as simple as this was a bonus, what do you think, will it be safe or not.
What are you doing for sparks then - total loss off a battery?
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline cobra

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 12:42:16 pm »
yes using boyer ign system, leaving kickstart in position.and using total loss system, the bike will only be used for parade laps and wont be raced, so battery should last for what i want,

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 07:00:45 pm »
I have run just a welded hole at one time, but I think a plastic or Aluminum hat (flanged) bushing, pressed on is even better. Use the flange portion of the bushing againt the case, to help out oil pressure.
 Yrick is to get it not to bind, could use shim stock between, then pull that out..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 09:59:12 pm »
Actually, there is a restriction orifice down inside the hole in the crank that feeds oil to the starter gear bushing. With the starter gear removed or not, the same amount of oil flows through the orifice. Granted, with the hole plugged, that small amount of oil will be diverted to the mains, but leaving it open will cause no loss of oil pressure compared to having the starter gear installed.   
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....