Author Topic: Wideband on a cb750?  (Read 9220 times)

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
  • Oh, so this is where you type the text...
Re: Wideband on a cb750?
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 12:50:05 pm »
I've got a supercharged, fuel injected CB750 and a turbocharged, fuel injected CB750. An O2 sensor is priceless. This is a little info I've gathered over the years that I try to tune for. Using an O2 sensor on one of these old air cooled Honda's and getting the ratio correct is a big grey area yet for me. Others may have better info.....I'm open to any and all suggestions.

10.5 - 11.4    Rich A/F

11.6 - 12.3    Ideal A/F

12.5 - 14.7    Lean A/F

14.0 - 18.0    Very lean A/F

These little engines seem to idle smoothest on the rich side (mine does anyway!)...say 10.0 - 11.5

For good all round power 12.8 - 13.2

12.5 is a good safe zone

11.4 - 11.8 if boosted

Never boost above 12.5

Good to know, Thanks for posting the numbers and your experience with it. ;)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:13:56 pm by Brian77cb750 »

Offline orkid1989

• Hot Shot
  • “Life is too important to be taken seriously.”
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 05:57:37 pm »
I've got a supercharged, fuel injected CB750 and a turbocharged, fuel injected CB750. An O2 sensor is priceless. This is a little info I've gathered over the years that I try to tune for. Using an O2 sensor on one of these old air cooled Honda's and getting the ratio correct is a big grey area yet for me. Others may have better info.....I'm open to any and all suggestions.

10.5 - 11.4    Rich A/F

11.6 - 12.3    Ideal A/F

12.5 - 14.7    Lean A/F

14.0 - 18.0    Very lean A/F

These little engines seem to idle smoothest on the rich side (mine does anyway!)...say 10.0 - 11.5

For good all round power 12.8 - 13.2

12.5 is a good safe zone

11.4 - 11.8 if boosted

Never boost above 12.5
thanks for the advice. i sure wish mine was turbocharged and fuel injected though lol
“Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.” Oscar Wilde

Offline JLeather

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 07:06:15 am »
I picked up a Daytona Sensors WEGO system for my turbo build (if I ever get back to it).  I think I got the WEGO II but they've got another one out now.  It has datalogging, which I may or may not ever use.  I just got it because it was the lowest power draw I could find, and I didn't want a big gauge like a tuner car.

http://www.daytona-sensors.com/WEGO3.html

Offline 23tbucket

• Enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 03:50:22 pm »
 I used Innovative wide band sensors from DIYautotune. They are very easy to wire and set up. Their service is excellent.
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/wideband-o2-systems-c-23.html?osCsid=d1ebf478aecd3fa44bd16ce2758912c8

The turbocharged bike uses just the LC1 wired into the Microsquirt ECM. I can grab (datalog) the AFR (air fuel ratio) through the same laptop used to program the Microsquirt through either the Microsquirt ECM or the LC1 itself. Cost was $200.00

The supercharged bike also uses a LC1 wideband with the addition of a digital AFR gauge. It is wired into the Microsquirt as well. The LC1 has extra wiring for the addition of a gauge....just got to do a bit of programming. Again, I can grab the AFR through the Microsquirt or directly to the LC1 using a laptop. Cost was $250.00

I really like having an external AFR gauge. I wish I had one on the turbocharged bike..... it's only got three gauges...oil pressure, fuel pressure, and boost pressure....no speedo or crank spin!!! But officer...it,it,it came that way!!!...lol

I seriously believe any heated O2 sensor and gauge would be a good tool even in a carbureted and natural aspirated application (far more accurate than "plug chops")....just got to make sure the charging system is up to snuff. I think they use 3 - 5 amp?

Remember too, if your engine is running rich, lean and hot, burning oil, or lots of cold quick starts... the life of the sensor is greatly diminished. I have replaced the turbocharged bike sensor once allready...three years on first one....not real bad I guess...but I was hoping they would last as long as some sensors have in a car or truck. My early failure could very well be of my making during the engines initial tuning and learning?

One more thing..an exhaust leak or a rich or lean engine missfire will not allow the sensor to give any accuracy....so if you got a popping, backfiring, missing engine, loose exhaust, etc....an O2 sensor ain't-a gonna help.

Offline orkid1989

• Hot Shot
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 08:51:51 pm »
I used Innovative wide band sensors from DIYautotune. They are very easy to wire and set up. Their service is excellent.
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/wideband-o2-systems-c-23.html?osCsid=d1ebf478aecd3fa44bd16ce2758912c8

The turbocharged bike uses just the LC1 wired into the Microsquirt ECM. I can grab (datalog) the AFR (air fuel ratio) through the same laptop used to program the Microsquirt through either the Microsquirt ECM or the LC1 itself. Cost was $200.00

The supercharged bike also uses a LC1 wideband with the addition of a digital AFR gauge. It is wired into the Microsquirt as well. The LC1 has extra wiring for the addition of a gauge....just got to do a bit of programming. Again, I can grab the AFR through the Microsquirt or directly to the LC1 using a laptop. Cost was $250.00

I really like having an external AFR gauge. I wish I had one on the turbocharged bike..... it's only got three gauges...oil pressure, fuel pressure, and boost pressure....no speedo or crank spin!!! But officer...it,it,it came that way!!!...lol

I seriously believe any heated O2 sensor and gauge would be a good tool even in a carbureted and natural aspirated application (far more accurate than "plug chops")....just got to make sure the charging system is up to snuff. I think they use 3 - 5 amp?

Remember too, if your engine is running rich, lean and hot, burning oil, or lots of cold quick starts... the life of the sensor is greatly diminished. I have replaced the turbocharged bike sensor once allready...three years on first one....not real bad I guess...but I was hoping they would last as long as some sensors have in a car or truck. My early failure could very well be of my making during the engines initial tuning and learning?

One more thing..an exhaust leak or a rich or lean engine missfire will not allow the sensor to give any accuracy....so if you got a popping, backfiring, missing engine, loose exhaust, etc....an O2 sensor ain't-a gonna help.
all that tuning is a bit advanced for me at the moment. first i want to ge the bike running right then ill get to the fine tuning. i just want to have the gage just to be sure im tuning it right. as far as the gauge the info page http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=12+volts+times+1.3+amps&pbx=1&oq=12+volts+times+1.3+amps&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=3125l9266l0l9438l23l18l0l5l5l0l235l2175l5.11.1l22l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=bc10a23150ae866b&biw=1440&bih=675&safe=activeon it says it takes 1.3amps im assuming at 12 volts so roughly 15.6watts. the other reason i picked it was because it draws the least watts compared to the other digital gauges like it. i need to add an oil pressure gauge but i dont want to dfraw too much power

Offline orkid1989

• Hot Shot
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 05:37:56 pm »
just got the AEM UEGO gauge and it looks pretty sweet. i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as far as data logging with it? i know Innovate motorsports makes some computers but not sure what to get. also how do i record the rpm?

Offline 23tbucket

• Enthusiast
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 07:07:08 pm »
I'm not familiar with your AEM.

The Innovative O2 sensors I bought both came with a CD to download the program into a computer. I just had to buy my own adapter. Different computers require different USB to serial port adapters.

What all did you get? Was it a kit? No instructions?

Offline orkid1989

• Hot Shot
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 07:22:52 pm »
I'm not familiar with your AEM.

The Innovative O2 sensors I bought both came with a CD to download the program into a computer. I just had to buy my own adapter. Different computers require different USB to serial port adapters.

What all did you get? Was it a kit? No instructions?
i got this
http://www.aemelectronics.com/wideband-o2-air-fuel-uego-gauge-kit-745
and it has instructions but needs a data logger. cant just be plugged into a computer i dont think. it does have a serial lead though

Offline 23tbucket

• Enthusiast
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 08:25:52 pm »
I'm not real sure, but they (AEM) should have an accessable down-loadable (hopefully free) data-logging program for most any newer laptops?  It doesn't seem right that you have to purchase a separate data logger, although it might be easier to store on yourself if riding and tuning? Any laptop can gather and store more info than any electronic device strictly designed for single data logging from one source. I would do some web searches and contact your supplier. I'm darn sure you can data-log directly into your laptop with the right program and cables?

My Innovative LC1 can datalog directly to a laptop. I would have to install the free "logworks" program...that's it!!

Offline orkid1989

• Hot Shot
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2011, 08:36:06 pm »
I'm not real sure, but they (AEM) should have an accessable down-loadable (hopefully free) data-logging program for most any newer laptops?  It doesn't seem right that you have to purchase a separate data logger, although it might be easier to store on yourself if riding and tuning? Any laptop can gather and store more info than any electronic device strictly designed for single data logging from one source. I would do some web searches and contact your supplier. I'm darn sure you can data-log directly into your laptop with the right program and cables?

My Innovative LC1 can datalog directly to a laptop. I would have to install the free "logworks" program...that's it!!
well thats the whole thing. the system that i bought doesnt have a plug. just wires. i can wire it to a serial cable but they said it will just show a ton of numbers o my laptop without a point of refference such as the rpm. it is essentially the same as the innovate guage and o2 sensor but no other cords. they have the same wires though

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
  • Oh, so this is where you type the text...
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2011, 09:35:00 pm »
This is the one I am going to order, it has the serial port/logger and software included.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/280750842055?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Orkid1989, I looked at the one that you bought back when you first posted the link at the beginning, and I'm not sure but I was thinking for some reason that kit was more of just a gauge more monitoring on a car, rather than for data logging into a pc.?

Offline orkid1989

• Hot Shot
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2011, 09:42:41 pm »
This is the one I am going to order, it has the serial port/logger and software included.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/280750842055?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Orkid1989, I looked at the one that you bought back when you first posted the link at the beginning, and I'm not sure but I was thinking for some reason that kit was more of just a gauge more monitoring on a car, rather than for data logging into a pc.?
Well it has all the same wires as the others. Just doesn't have the connectors.

Offline 23tbucket

• Enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2011, 06:01:05 am »
Brian77; Wow, that is a real good price for that LC1 and gauge. Good find.

Orkid; I think you are SOL as far as datalogging with what you have. I'm wondering if all your sensor does is feed information to a gauge or to an ECM (engine control module). Without having any special little cable or plug going or coming from your sensor module is the problem. I don't know how you could make this work?

Does your AEM O2 sensor have a support page?

Innovative support:
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support.php

Offline orkid1989

• Hot Shot
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2011, 04:08:36 pm »

installed the new gauge. now just waiting for my exhaust to be done.

Offline orkid1989

• Hot Shot
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2011, 06:45:13 am »
exhaust clamp broke while riding on the highway and muffler fell off along with the new wideband o2 sensor. that sure didnt last long. anyways i found a good deal on ebay for the same one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=150692090034. got me thinking what if i put 1 o2 sensor on each pipe like previously suggested and just incorperate some sort of a toggle switch to rotate between them and just use one gauge?

Offline orkid1989

• Hot Shot
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2011, 12:57:14 pm »
any ideas how to use a switch or knob to rotate between o2 sensors? that way i dont have to have a pile of gauges