Author Topic: 1979 Cb750 K build  (Read 1591 times)

Offline rodrigo_azure

1979 Cb750 K build
« on: March 15, 2012, 01:31:21 pm »
So... finally I got it all started!
Got myself a naked 1979 CB750 K frame and said why not?
Well, I have ZERO experience in building or restoring anything even remotely similar to motorbikes but what the hell you got to start somewhere, right? This forum has been a HUGE help so far, mainly because the amount of information is absolutely incredible.
For my second step, I found an experienced bike mechanic that had done a lot of transformations and restorations. Once I told him my plans he seemed more enthusiastic than me (maybe the €€€ were in his mind)...
Basically what I have right now is a frame from a 79 K with a 1993 CB750 swing arm (had to machine it to fit but it worked), original koni rear shocks, stock rear rim painted black and polished drum hub and... wait for it... a Yamaha R6 front (well, I’m still working on this one but it’s looking amazing so far!!) The front wheel will be an issue because it’s a 17 rather than a 19 so I’ll have to balance it all somehow, and the forks are 730mm in length rather than 760mm stock. I first got idea from here - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0
Pics will come next week, hopefully!!

Offline rodrigo_azure

Re: 1979 Cb750 K build
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 04:47:29 pm »
Ok... the R6 fork thing did not work out. Decided to play it safe and got a near perfect CBR600 front forks, brakes, rotors, rim and triples. So that solves the front end. Now the engine is the problem.
Can someone help me? SOHC engines are non-existant in Portugal. There are a few on the US but shipping costs + Tax makes it impossible. I know that with a little work I could use a DOHC one, but on a '78 frame what do you all think about a Kawa motor? An old 1000 maybe? Or a 750? What engine fits better on this frame? Please tell me what you think...