Author Topic: A sandcast restoration....on a budget ? Ridden for the first time since the 80s  (Read 16906 times)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: A sandcast restoration....on a budget ???
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2011, 06:11:27 am »
Some people have talked about local platers charging by the pound

I know a guy in Texas that will replate 20lbs of nuts and bolts for 80 bucks!

Where is he located?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline bjatwood

• I never claimed to be an
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB750-K3
    • Minbikers Proboards
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2011, 08:40:05 am »
He is close to Houston.
His email is ts@cttrailbikes.com and his cell is 281-865-7060
and his website is http://www.cttrailbikes.com
Brian

I believe that the Finest things are the most thoughtfully made, not the most expensive!
http://minibikers.proboards.com/

Offline gonzobrian

• Enthusiast
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2011, 10:24:34 am »
He is close to Houston.

Yep I just sent him and email and he says $75 plus shipping for up to 20lbs of nuts and bolts zinc plated.  So you were happy with the results?

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2011, 11:13:01 am »
He is close to Houston.

Yep I just sent him and email and he says $75 plus shipping for up to 20lbs of nuts and bolts zinc plated.  So you were happy with the results?

That seems like a great deal
im sure all of the hardware would fit in a $10 USmail flat rate box

Offline bjatwood

• Expert
  • 1973 CB750-K3
    • Minbikers Proboards
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2011, 05:32:01 am »
He is close to Houston.

Happy? Those nuts/bolts came back looking like I just pulled them out of the bin at the HONDA factory! Awesome price for the work I feel. I did 3 CT70's nuts and bolts for 75.00 bucks! And the bike I "restored" for a customer of mine with the "new" hardware won 1st Place at the Vintage Japenese MC Show at the Lancaster Center in Lincoln, Nebraska. Bonus  8)
Brian

I believe that the Finest things are the most thoughtfully made, not the most expensive!

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2012, 11:00:06 am »
Got some time over the holiday - got some more nickel and dime stuff done.

I tackled the rear portion of the bike.  I figured I start with the rear wheel and the swing arm.  I took off the rear wheel and took it apart.  I soak all the nuts, bolts and washers in kerosene (the cheapest best parts washer out there) and clean all the rust off them with a brass wire brush that is on my buffer.  Brass is softer than the metal or chrome so it won't scratch things up.   The correct 2-hole hub was in place.  Luckily, the bearings and the retainer were untouched and original.  The bearings seemed too stiff for me so I picked up some new bearings (not cheapo chinese-made bearings) and new shoes for the old girl. 

** You guys - if you pick up a bike that has been sitting for several years it is worth it to spend $35 bucks on new shoes.  Don't try and clean and re-use the originals.  They have a tendency to separate.  I had it happen to me once, and I thought it was just a fluke - after the second such instance, I never re-use anything brake related.     After I drilled the stake marks in the retainer and the hub, the retainers came out very easily.  I got the bearings out and cleaned everything as best I could with kerosene, followed by a water rinse and liberal amounts of WD-40.    I pressed the new bearings in and put the new shoes on as well.

Just like new.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:14:02 am by greenjeans »
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2012, 11:03:11 am »
I went ahead and cleaned all the brake linkages etc and removed the swingarm while I was in there.  Normally, I would change out the bushings in the swing arm, but this one was rock solid - no play or measurable wear...maybe the mileage on the clocks is accurate.  The swingarm bolt looked pristine except for the ends that were exposed to the weather.   Again, a thorough cleaning with kerosene, water and WD-40.

Check out how nice some of the "number 8" bolts are looking.

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2012, 11:10:19 am »
Got me a gift card for the local Honda dealership for x-mas.    Promptly emptied its contents on some fork seals, master cylinder rebuild kit, caliper seal, fork boots, handlebar grips and some plug caps - I'll go ahead and count that as money spent on the project.

I am really starting to like the way this thing is looking.    As I work my way around on the bike, I am thoroughly cleaning the frame with kerosene ( a wonderfully cheap and effective degreaser )   I am then treating the exposed rusty areas with a rust treatment (basically phosphoric acid) and dthen giving it another wipedown with WD-40)    It really cleans things up and leaves the charm and patina of a 40 year old cycle.   The chrome pieces, while still pitted are cleaning up nicely with steelwool and an elixer of chrome polish and WD-40. 

This weekend I plan on cleaning the internals of the forks and putting some new seals in them as well as the fork boots.   I'll clean the front hub and go ahead and pop some new bearings in there as well.

I've already cleaned the headset - all of the ball bearings were there (18 on the top, 19 on the bottom) and the races looked pristine when cleaned of the 40 year old grease.

I'll post more photos this evening.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:18:01 am by greenjeans »

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2012, 11:47:59 am »
Very nice work! Cliff.

Offline bjatwood

• Expert
  • 1973 CB750-K3
    • Minbikers Proboards
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2012, 12:13:35 pm »
Looking good Cliff!  ;)
Brian

Offline gonzobrian

• Enthusiast
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2012, 05:31:57 am »
Looking good.  This weekend I will be soda blasting my split cases getting them ready to paint.  Did you decided if you are going to replate or have replated all the zinc plated hardware?  Recently someone recommended a place in Denver I might try out.

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2012, 05:05:20 pm »
I finally had a big block of time to work on 'ol sandie this weekend.    I put my wiring harness back on.  I replaced the majority of the connectors and re-wrapped it in some new non-adhesive loom tape.   Tested every wire for continuity.  1 less thing to worry about.

I got out the battery charger and did the electrolysis treatment on my wrinkle tank.  looks great in there, but I have a pin hole in a very odd place.  Bummer, but it should be an easy fix...eventually.   Since I really wanted to get it running, I was kinda bummed out.    Then, the motorcycle gods shined on me.  A buddy of mine just happened to be over at the house and mentioned that her dad had a bunch of old cycles and loved to show them off.  He has all girls, so he's out numbered and never really gets to show them off.   So, wanting to clear my head, I gave him a call and headed over.   I didn't know what to expect, but I was blown away.   He had a couple early HD knuckheads, a sweet panhead, shovelhead.   He also had a CB450 that he had bought brand new.   A late 60's Ducati that was just beautiful,  4 or 5 old BMWs and at least 5 old Honda dirt bikes.

After hanging out with him for an hour or so, I was just about to leave when I spotted an ruby red CB750 tank up in the rafters in the corner.    I asked about it and he didn't even remember how he got it - said it had been up there for at least 20 years.    I climbed up and got it down and it looked pretty solid.  A few love taps here and there, but solid.

I asked what he would take for it, not sure if he would even sell it or not.  He is one of those guys that doesn't like to part with things.    He gave it to me for $50 bucks and the promise of a ride on the sandcast when it is running.

So I raced back home, clean the tank out and got things ready to go.

New points plate - set the points and timing.   Re-checked the valve tappets.  Re-checked the cam chain.
All the wiring - checked and back in it's place.     Took the tappets off and put some oil in the top end.  Put a few drops of oil in the cylinders and popped some new plugs in there to go with the new coils I had purchased.     Put the new HM300s on there.   I have t say that it was the easy set of pipes I've ever put on.  Couldn't belive it.  I had all 4 on in about 20 minutes - with no a single curse word  ;)
 I think I'm ready to fire this thing.

I put gas in the tank and then things started to go awry.  Gas was pissing out of everything.   I had re-used the original float needles and seats so I figured I could just change those out for the new ones I had but forgotten about.   When I took the bowls off, I noticed that all 4 of the over flow tubes in the bowls have micro tears in them...bummer !!!

I took the bowls off an extra set of carbs and swapped them in there.  Problem solved.

Went in and got the camera to document the first time this thing had fired since the late 80's

[IMG]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:19:31 am by greenjeans »

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2012, 05:17:51 pm »
Budget....   So far so good...kinda

My big buy was the pipes - $1036 to my door, no way around that one as my original pipes were just toast.
New points plate, coils, plugs, cap for the master cylinder, some new brake lines, seals, pads and shoes for the brakes.   Some connectors for the wiring harness, non-adhesive wire loom tape.   Bulbs for the turn signals and brake lamp.   New grips and a throttle tube.  Silicone brake fluid, oil, filter.   

Still need some tires to be really street worthy.

Most of  the big ticket items are accounted for.   I'm right around $2200 so far including the purchase part of the bike.    With any luck, I think I'll easily stay under $3500 after everything is blown apart and painted.

Found a plater for the nuts and bolts and a chromer in Fort Worth that is reasonably priced.

But for now, I love the patina of this thing.   I'm going to ride it for a while and get everything ironed out.

I love Hondas.   Believe it or not this thing fired 1st try with no choke (it was a beautiful 75 degrees today)

Those HM 300s sound incredible.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:36:05 pm by greenjeans »

Offline hoodellyhoo

• CB350F
  • Master
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2012, 05:21:00 pm »
Way to go!!!! Sounds great!
1972 CB350F (Back from the Dead!)- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20822.0
1965? S65 - Coming Eventually!
1972 CB750K2 (father-son project)
1976 CB750K6- (sold) http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=96859.0
1976 CB750K6 (sold)- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=62569.0

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
Re: A sandcast restoration....on a budget ??? SHE RUNS !!! 3/4
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2012, 05:29:00 pm »
Good work there Greenjeans!  Sounds great!

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2012, 05:30:22 pm »
Freaking awesome. I am hoping to do a first start on camera with my 550F. You have a GO Pro to record the first ride?
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2012, 05:37:11 pm »
Don't have a go pro.   I can probably borrow one from my buddy.   Normally, my wife just stands in the driveway and records things. ;)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2012, 05:45:01 pm »
Sounds great! 
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2012, 08:46:42 pm »
 DID your frame paint gloss up ? I used FLITZ on my sandcast(no longer mine) , it took the whitish haze off and looked liked new..really nice.
 Glad you got it running..nice score on the tank, were the sidecovers KO's ?
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2012, 04:51:15 am »
The gloss has "kinda" come back.   There is a significant amount of "character" on the frame and elsewhere...   At some point it was stored outside.
I'll give that stuff a shot.

Yep, the sidecovers are the early style - even have the badges and screens intact.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:20:28 am by greenjeans »

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2012, 04:56:24 am »
very glad that you are chipping away at this bike.  super cool.

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2012, 05:36:11 am »
Nice beard.  I almost didn't recognize you in the video.

You need to get it down to the hill country ride on the 6th 7th and 8th of next month!
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2012, 05:44:52 am »
Nice beard.  I almost didn't recognize you in the video.

You need to get it down to the hill country ride on the 6th 7th and 8th of next month!

You guys going ?     I hope to have everything sorted out by them -  might be able to make that happen.

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2012, 01:27:54 pm »
I am doing everything I can to get down there.  3 days of hill country riding and 2 nights of camping!!
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2012, 07:21:07 pm »
Here she is.... running for the first time since 1985.   The photos make things look better than they really are,
but, I'm a sucker for patina.     Got my tires in yesterday, mounted them this morning and hit the road soon after.   This is the first 69/70 that I have ridden.  It is a beast.   The HM300 exhaust is just so much more frightening that the 345s.    Still have to dial the carbs in a bit more and change out the oil again (third time)
and she should be good to ride around a bit before I start the "shiney" portion of the build.