Author Topic: A sandcast restoration....on a budget ? Ridden for the first time since the 80s  (Read 16925 times)

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: A sandcast restoration....on a budget ???
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2011, 01:51:21 pm »
Replating all those rusty, corroded nuts and bolts is the way to go.
Even if you laboriously clean every one they will just rust again later.
Imho, ANY original part you replace will lessen the eventual value of the bike.

If you're really serious about it it's right way to go.
You can do it yourself relatively cheaply.
http://www.medial.com/suzuki/zinc-plated/

I agree.

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2011, 09:37:30 am »
So whats the good word on the bike?

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2011, 10:06:29 am »
Been sitting for a few weeks - got busy at work.   working on getting a used set of HM300s so I can fire it up.

I did score a bottom half for my air box and a really nice set of fork ears.   Such a shame though....  the guy I got the parts from has a sandcast with a stuck motor that has been sitting outside - under a carport - but still outside.   The tops are off the carbs - I could go on...such a shame.   Rusting away. 

Cleaned prettty much all my wiring connections.  Oil pan and oil tank cleaned.  Fresh oil for the first time in 25 years.   Cleaned the timing advance as well as the timing chain tensioner.    Valves are set as are the points/timing. 

Got some new wheel bearings waiting.   I hope to have a set of pipes by the end of next weekend.   I'm pretty confident this beast is going to fire right up.

Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2011, 10:08:41 am »
Such a shame though....  the guy I got the parts from has a sandcast with a stuck motor that has been sitting outside - under a carport - but still outside.   The tops are off the carbs - I could go on...such a shame.   Rusting away. 

Haven't you seen MarkB's sandcast thread?  Anything can be saved if it's worth the dough ;)

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2011, 12:14:17 pm »
there is a set of 300s listed here

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2011, 12:32:52 pm »
Such a shame though....  the guy I got the parts from has a sandcast with a stuck motor that has been sitting outside - under a carport - but still outside.   The tops are off the carbs - I could go on...such a shame.   Rusting away. 

I'm trying to talk him out of it.   He knows what it is worth.  Have a feeling he's going to sit on it for a while.

Haven't you seen MarkB's sandcast thread?  Anything can be saved if it's worth the dough ;)

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2011, 12:49:22 pm »
Been sitting for a few weeks - got busy at work.   working on getting a used set of HM300s so I can fire it up.

I did score a bottom half for my air box and a really nice set of fork ears.   Such a shame though....  the guy I got the parts from has a sandcast with a stuck motor that has been sitting outside - under a carport - but still outside.   The tops are off the carbs - I could go on...such a shame.   Rusting away. 

Cleaned prettty much all my wiring connections.  Oil pan and oil tank cleaned.  Fresh oil for the first time in 25 years.   Cleaned the timing advance as well as the timing chain tensioner.    Valves are set as are the points/timing. 

Got some new wheel bearings waiting.   I hope to have a set of pipes by the end of next weekend.   I'm pretty confident this beast is going to fire right up.

How did you clean your wires up? I know sounds like a dumb question.. I need to clean mine up. Full of gunk and grease looking #$%*.
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2011, 11:03:31 am »
I get some remarkable results with plain ol simple green.   I usually just take a rag that is soaked in it and wipe them down.
Then, 1 by 1, I spray a bit in the ends with the connectors and hit them with the high-pressure air nozzle.   Then I usually spray a bit of electrical contact cleaner on them and hit them with the air nozzle again.

works surprisingly well.

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2011, 12:59:04 pm »
I get some remarkable results with plain ol simple green.   I usually just take a rag that is soaked in it and wipe them down.
Then, 1 by 1, I spray a bit in the ends with the connectors and hit them with the high-pressure air nozzle.   Then I usually spray a bit of electrical contact cleaner on them and hit them with the air nozzle again.

works surprisingly well.

Thanks, Now i have to figure out how to bookmark your response. I will try it tonight and post pics on my build thread.
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2011, 01:16:05 pm »
Simple Green and Q-Tips worked well for me on the female connectors, cleaned the plastic covering up nice too.
If you can stand the smell Brake Cleaner worked too. Use it outside. Gives me a headache.
Cliff.

Offline Prospect

• Expert
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2011, 03:31:05 pm »
What ratio of water/simple green are you guys using when cleaning carbs and dunking them?
Current Bikes

1969 CB750  Sandcast #256
1971 CB750K1
1972 CB750K1
1975 CB400F
1975 GL1000 Goldwing
1954 Harley Davidson Panhead
1957 Harley Davidson Panhead

Toronto Canada

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2011, 02:19:27 pm »
The last set I did - maybe 5 parts water, 1 part simple green.   Be careful with simple green - if you leave them over night in straight simple green, it will dis-color the carb bodies.

I've rebuilt about 10 sets of carbs during my addiction to the CB.    I have it down now after many different methods.    Boiling them speeds things up immensely.    I have 4 big coffee cans that I use for my carb cleanings.   I have an old coleman propane stove and an old enameled pot that I use to boil the carb bodies (1 at a time) in.

The homemade soda blaster really works.   Really.    The carb bodies look brand new.  Really takes no time.   While I'm boiling one carb, I'm blasting the one that just came out of the pot.

You still have to remove all the jets and needles and make sure, really sure, that all the passages are clean.  I use a combo of compressed air, carb cleaner and a fine guitar string.

Believe it or not, I clean them until I think they are spotless.  Then, I do it again.   When I go to start things up, I can eliminate any problems with fuel.
Carbs just can't be clean enough.

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2011, 04:27:36 pm »
Yeah the home soda blasting is great.
I was thinking about getting a cheap ultrasonic cleaner but the soda works so well i decided to wait

Offline Prospect

• Expert
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2011, 05:32:56 pm »
The last set I did - maybe 5 parts water, 1 part simple green.   Be careful with simple green - if you leave them over night in straight simple green, it will dis-color the carb bodies.

I've rebuilt about 10 sets of carbs during my addiction to the CB.    I have it down now after many different methods.    Boiling them speeds things up immensely.    I have 4 big coffee cans that I use for my carb cleanings.   I have an old coleman propane stove and an old enameled pot that I use to boil the carb bodies (1 at a time) in.

The homemade soda blaster really works.   Really.    The carb bodies look brand new.  Really takes no time.   While I'm boiling one carb, I'm blasting the one that just came out of the pot.

You still have to remove all the jets and needles and make sure, really sure, that all the passages are clean.  I use a combo of compressed air, carb cleaner and a fine guitar string.

Believe it or not, I clean them until I think they are spotless.  Then, I do it again.   When I go to start things up, I can eliminate any problems with fuel.
Carbs just can't be clean enough.

Haven't tried boiling it but sounds promising.  I've used an ultrasonic cleaner with a heat function that gets the water/simple green solution hot but not boiling.  It works pretty good.  I'm gonna try the boiling next time on my bbq hot plate. 

You're not kidding about not leaving the carbs overnight.  I did that once with a carb of a  cb350f and it looks like crap now. 
Current Bikes

1971 CB750K1
1972 CB750K1
1975 CB400F
1975 GL1000 Goldwing

Toronto Canada

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2011, 08:19:25 am »
As much as it hurt, I dropped a grand on some new HM300's.  Yes I know that I need "no-stamp" pipes, but I've been looking, calling and digging for 2 months now.  They just don't come up.

Don't really want to drop $2500 for pipes out of Japan.    You only see the EPA paragraph if you're looking for it and I want to ride this thing for a bit
before selling it.

So......hopefully the pipes will arrive by Thursday.  That means this beast could be running (after 28 years) this weekend.   Provided there isn't a grenade hidden in the engine etc.    I'm feeling good that it will start.    Never had a new set of HM300's before - looking forward to hearing the difference when compared to HM315's

So far....money spent:

Time:    Free
$5        Simple green
$18      Carb cleaner & brake parts cleaner
$1036  Pipes & baffles.  HM300's

If I get it running well, the plan is to blow it apart and paint everything.   

Paint kit for tanks and tins:  $149  (vintagehondapaint.com)
Stripe kit $34 (vintagehondapaint.com)
Black for frame etc   $145  (with primer, reducer, cleaner etc)
Engine paint:  $20

Things are starting to add up. 

The main thing I need to figure out now is how I'm going to re-plate the screws, nuts and bolts so I can put it back together.

Then I can get another game plan / punch list for things that remain. 

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 08:27:00 am by greenjeans »

Offline markb

• When I finish my current project I might be a
  • Master
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2011, 09:12:12 am »
I wouldn't worry about running the HM300's.  Until (if) you get everything else correct they will be fine for now.  They will look good and sound good.  I've seen some pretty decent used pipes come up and it got me thinking that I should get a set for running and save wear and tear on the no numbers.
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2011, 09:54:48 am »
That's kinda the plan.  I have 1 really nice (8/10) lotus root - pipe #4 and another decent one (7/10) pipe #1.   
The inners I have are toast.  I have a lead on a couple here locally, and Vic World has 1 that I'll probably pick up as well - I think it's a # 3 or 2 so that helps.
So, I'm actually pretty close. 

The baffles for the Lotus Roots would still need to be sourced.   Does anyone sell those besides Yamiya ?   Haven't tried Honda yet.

I'll probably end up keeping the HM300s when the sandie goes up for sale.   Hopefully by then, I'll have pieced together a decent set of no-numbers for the
sandie.   

Trying to talk myself into buying one of those zinc plating systems from Caswell.    I love shiney clean bolts.

Offline bjatwood

• I never claimed to be an
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB750-K3
    • Minbikers Proboards
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2011, 12:14:12 pm »
Trying to talk myself into buying one of those zinc plating systems from Caswell.    I love shiney clean bolts.

That kit is "Da Bomb"!!
Brian

I believe that the Finest things are the most thoughtfully made, not the most expensive!
http://minibikers.proboards.com/

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2011, 01:55:02 pm »
Maybe it might be worth it to corner the market so to speak...
Why not get good at it and then do some for other people to off set the cost of this bike?

Ive been soda blasting rebuilding and polishing carbs for local people like that for a while

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2011, 02:20:01 pm »
Been thinking about it...   I know it's gotta be easy if you can read the directions.   Might be a good x-mas present.
I got the pipes ordered on Nov. 30 so that doesn't count  ;)

You guys are going to talk me into it.   Maybe that will be my next service offered.  Everybody likes shiney clean bolts, don't they ?

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2011, 02:52:46 pm »
Some people have talked about local platers charging by the pound

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2011, 05:15:49 pm »
Wow, over a grand for the pipes! And this is a budget build?

Get the plater and over the service, you'll have more than a few takers.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Prospect

• Expert
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2011, 05:05:46 am »
Nickle plating kit???  I'll have to look into that for myself.  I could see using that for many years to come just like the ultrasonic cleaner.  I agree, you'd have a number of people asking for plating service is shipping is reasonable. BTW where did you buy the HM300's for $1036?
Current Bikes

1971 CB750K1
1972 CB750K1
1975 CB400F
1975 GL1000 Goldwing

Toronto Canada

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2011, 05:07:20 am »
Yeah - budget is relative.   I still think I'll be able to stay under my $3000 budget -  might take a few months to scrounge up the rest of the money, but the major purchase (pipes) is done.   I'll nickel and dime it over the next couple of months.    The major pieces are there, it's just a matter of re-finishing and buying a few more tune-up/safety items - tires, chain, brake pads/shoes, master cylinder rebuild kit, fork seals & oil.  I actually think I'll be closer to the $2500 mark.    Thankfully, my elbow grease is free.

I don't have a single plater in my town.   The closest is Dallas or FortWorth (45 minutes away - not too bad)  but I have yet to find anyone that actually "wants" to touch them.   Everyone that I have contacted wants large commercial type orders.   The kit is $200 bucks.   I guess I could easily make that back by offering plating services.   We will see how that goes.

After sleeping on it, I think I'm going to order the kit.    Hope to have it to practice on extra nuts and bolts over the x-mas break.   I'll give a report on how it works etc.    Sounds like it is an easy process and the solutions are easily stored.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 05:17:36 am by greenjeans »

Offline bjatwood

• I never claimed to be an
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB750-K3
    • Minbikers Proboards
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2011, 05:36:40 am »
Some people have talked about local platers charging by the pound

I know a guy in Texas that will replate 20lbs of nuts and bolts for 80 bucks!
Brian

I believe that the Finest things are the most thoughtfully made, not the most expensive!
http://minibikers.proboards.com/