Author Topic: everyones favorite topic.....(sigh)  (Read 1302 times)

Offline beks82

• Enthusiast
everyones favorite topic.....(sigh)
« on: June 25, 2011, 06:17:15 pm »
Well here goes another LED turn signal thread.  Okay so I bought an integrated tail light for my CB750F1 which has turn signals and brake switches. 
Front are LED signals as well. 
Flasher was changed to an electronic flasher and wired correctly, as the front would flash before installing the integrated rear. 
Now the tail lamp works as it should when the brakes are applied, the problem is the signal lights.  When the the switch is moved to either side, both front and rear are lighting...but not flashing...as if the relay is the older type.  I'm almost confident that everything is wired as it should be as signal lights for whichever side does come on.  grounds for the tail lamp and signals are all grounded back to the main harness at a 4point bullet connection.  and since the tail lamp is working I'm assuming ground is fine. 
So thats problem one.....
Second problem....the turn signals won't activate when the left hand control switch is fully pressed to either side, it only works like halfway, then when fully activated, just stays lit.  So in short I've been manually turning my signal lamps on and off and on to change lanes or signal a turn....not too bad but irritating nonetheless. 
So any comments regarding either issue would be much appreciated, I'm honestly at the point where I dont even know where to start, so I figure any comments might get my brain rolling.....

Offline beks82

• Enthusiast
Re: everyones favorite topic.....(sigh)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 12:25:44 pm »
bump....checked all grounds and still nothing....

Offline beks82

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 12:50:41 pm »
oh and forgot to mention that the front turn signals stay lit...although the running light wire is disconnected......

Offline Jon

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 01:10:51 pm »
My guess is you have crossed wiring in the tail light;

You said;
"Flasher was changed to an electronic flasher and wired correctly, as the front would flash before installing the integrated rear."
&
"the front turn signals stay lit...although the running light wire is disconnected......"

Disconnect the rear tail light.
With front turn signals flashing connect wires for that side rear turn only.
Only when that works do the same to the other side, then tail then brake lights.

Cheers
jon
Honda CB550f
Honda VFR400
Ducati 900 S2
Moto Guzzi LeMans III
BMW R90S

Offline beks82

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 05:53:45 pm »
hey thanks for the reply jon, tried what you suggested but now with the rear disconnected the front blinkers wont blink.  also i failed to mention that when the signals are initiated they make a constant buzzing noise from the relay.  but all the lights are in working condition so i don't know why it is buzzing....

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 01:55:27 pm »
When I first got my 550 the blinkers wouldn't blink. I picked up a new flasher unit from the auto parts store, problem solved. Modern electronic flashers are more tolerant of buld style, although LED's may still require a resistor.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline beks82

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 03:58:32 pm »
solved....checked all grounds, connections and doublechecked my wiring to make sure everything was wired properly....still failed.  apparently the electric flasher I bought 2 days ago already crapped out, so I bought another one and problem solved. 
NAPA flashers suck, triton flashers much better.....

Offline Davidov

• Hot Shot
  • 1978 CB750 F3
    • My CB750F project log
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 08:55:21 am »
Do you have a picture of the setup?
-David

Offline CB500_k2

• Hot Shot
  • Wrenching makes a good retirement.
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 09:07:33 am »
If your bike has a single indicator light for the blinkers, I think the K1 does, then you will have to change the indicator light circuit or blinkers on both sides will go on. Try disconnecting the indicator bulb.
Too many bikes -- too little time
1973 CB500
1974 CB350 - sold
1975 CB400F SuperSport
2000 Ducati Monster Dark