Author Topic: The rebirth of Beatris the F3  (Read 21719 times)

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
The rebirth of Beatris the F3
« on: October 02, 2011, 09:29:34 am »
Well, I've always wanted to get into one of these engines and now I've got my chance. I've never rebuilt an engine, so all advise will be greatly appreciated. I'm rebuilding this engine because I was riding along one day when the bike started loosing power and died. I pulled off the road and saw that it was spitting oil out of the pipe. I did a compression check when I got the bike home and found #1 30, #2 0, #3 30, #4 90. The number two plug also had no gap, so I'm guessing the piston hit it. I've gotten the motor pulled out of the frame now and into my music room. I have no shop, but my wife is being really nice and letting me work on the motor in the house! Anyway, I haven't gotten far yet, but here's some pics.

I think one of the hardest things about this build will be when I finish it I have to decide which bike to sell. The wife says I can only have one, so it's either this one or my 1975 r75/6.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 02:12:26 pm by Radam »

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
Re: The rebirth of Esmeralda the F3
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 11:45:48 am »
Glad you're making a thread for this one.  That bike was beautiful when you got her.  Do her justice  ;)

And, maybe try to explain to the wife that having two bikes isn't a bad thing.  Some guys on this forum have dozens...And here's the kicker - if you only have one bike, when something breaks (like a safety item), you won't have to rush to fix it hastily (and maybe get hurt) because you were so anxious to get back on the road...it could work  ::)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 11:51:28 am by Greggo »

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 11:51:53 am »
How about a pic of that Beemer?

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 12:05:01 pm »
I'm glad I made the thread too. I hope I do her justice. I don't plan on repainting much if anything, but I don't know what I'll get myself into yet. Maybe I'll talk the wife into letting me keep both and put a solo seat with a cowl on?

Beemer pics

I need to take some better pics of the beemer.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 12:07:17 pm »
Jeez, I'm a sucker for a Beemer with Lesters...Beautiful bikes.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 11:08:47 am by Greggo »

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 02:05:09 pm »
Well, I got to put a little more time in on the motor today. This is what I've found. (not good)

I haven't measured the cylinders, but I'm guessing I'm going to need new pistons, cylinder, valves... Anyone have any suggestions?

Offline wixil

• gas passing
  • Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 03:38:40 pm »
Donor motor or a 900 kit.  Since you have a reliable bike to ride otherwise, I'd be tempted to build a beast.  That's not going to be cheap though. 

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 04:30:01 pm »
Wixil, you and I think too much alike. I also found this. http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/2556989499.html Looks like I could probably get everything I need from him. I haven't contacted him about prices yet to see how good of a deal it is. The 900 kit sounds like a winner if I can talk myself/wife into spending the money.

Offline captain awesome

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 08:34:16 am »
What's your budget to get this thing running? There's a running cb750 in Joplin for $500 without a title you could rob the engine out of. If you have to sell it, you will be hard pressed to get your money back out of a rebuild.

Offline wixil

• gas passing
  • Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 08:40:20 am »
If the move to Australia is coming any time soon, this would be a good opportunity to start boxing up the bike to take with you to the land down under...

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 11:44:59 am »
What's your budget to get this thing running? There's a running cb750 in Joplin for $500 without a title you could rob the engine out of. If you have to sell it, you will be hard pressed to get your money back out of a rebuild.

I'll look into that. I know I would loose money if I sell it after I rebuild it. I still have to figure out if I should just keep it and sell the beemer. I'd love to find a running engine for a decent price.

Offline captain awesome

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 01:10:35 pm »
Can't decide which one you like more yet?

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 02:21:59 pm »
Somebody put some money in the engine. I see aftermarket retainers, heavy duty studs, heavy duty cam chain, pistons etc
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 02:55:28 pm »
Somebody put some money in the engine. I see aftermarket retainers, heavy duty studs, heavy duty cam chain, pistons etc

I was wondering about those bronze looking retainers.

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 04:32:41 pm »
Dibs on the bmw...... Ha ha ha. .....

Seriously.

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 06:39:54 pm »
The engine had been rebuilt before, and it was done with mainly racing parts. I'm made posts somewhere on here that say what all is in it, but I can't think of it off hand. I just got back from picking up a bike to pull the engine out of for it. I'll decide if I want to part out this engine or rebuild it after that. Tomorrow I'll post pics of the other bike. It's hideous!

Offline captain awesome

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 06:57:00 pm »
The engine had been rebuilt before, and it was done with mainly racing parts. I'm made posts somewhere on here that say what all is in it, but I can't think of it off hand. I just got back from picking up a bike to pull the engine out of for it. I'll decide if I want to part out this engine or rebuild it after that. Tomorrow I'll post pics of the other bike. It's hideous!

Was it local, or did you snatch up the Joplin one?

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 08:43:12 pm »
I got the one in Joplin. Some weirdo tweaker redneck guys showed up with it. The guy said he ran it out of gas then put gas in it and said it still wouldn't run. It was totally out of gas when I got it. I brought it home, put some gas in it, and after a bit of kicking it started. Ha ha! Just wait for the pics tomorrow. This bike is straight out of sohc4 hell! I'm gonna cruise it around a little for fun.

Offline captain awesome

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 08:47:40 pm »
I got the one in Joplin. Some weirdo tweaker redneck guys showed up with it. The guy said he ran it out of gas then put gas in it and said it still wouldn't run. It was totally out of gas when I got it. I brought it home, put some gas in it, and after a bit of kicking it started. Ha ha! Just wait for the pics tomorrow. This bike is straight out of sohc4 hell! I'm gonna cruise it around a little for fun.

If it's even remotely as amazing in person as it shows in the little pics, this one should be great.

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 09:01:58 pm »
You should come see it tomorrow.

Offline wixil

• gas passing
  • Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 06:00:11 am »
Brad, you are totally a hoarder

Offline wixil

• gas passing
  • Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 06:56:32 am »
Is this the green flamed beast that you picked up?

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 07:22:38 am »
This is the green flamed beast I picked up.

And this is a random wheel the guy gave me with it. I don't know what it goes on.

If you see anything other than the engine, carbs, airbox that you want let me know.
Oh yeah, the pics make that bike look a lot nicer than it is.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 07:24:55 am by Radam »

Offline captain awesome

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 08:46:11 am »
You should come see it tomorrow.

I'll be swinging through Fayetteville tonight, so I'll give you a holla on my cellular phone gadget. Gotta stop by Sam's for a minute and then pick up a cb350 project bike as well.

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 09:08:37 am »
Cool. I can only get it to run for about a minute or so at a time. I'm going to borrow a battery charger from Johnny so I can charge it up to see if that's part of the problem, but I'm guessing the carbs just need cleaned. I didn't know that the carbs on the older models just have clips instead of screws on the bowls. Nice!