Author Topic: The rebirth of Beatris the F3  (Read 21712 times)

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
Re: The rebirth of Beatris the F3
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2011, 07:35:40 am »
I do plan on doing the whole lay the bike over on the engine then pick it up trick. I'd still like to have an extra set of hands so I don't have to make Abby help if I need it.

Offline captain awesome

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2011, 07:43:14 am »
I do plan on doing the whole lay the bike over on the engine then pick it up trick. I'd still like to have an extra set of hands so I don't have to make Abby help if I need it.

Yeah, even with that method it is best to have a couple people to insert bolts/nuts and help guide the frame on without scratching.

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2011, 09:41:58 am »
I dont know what they weigh but I picked one up about three years ago and set it on a worktop. Its still there and I dont think I am man enough to move it.

Setting the frame on the motor is not that bad. remove the exhaust spiggots, the top thing on the valve cover (I think), oil filter housing, and of course all the motor mount plates. You will HAVE TO HAVE a impact driver to get those studs out on the exhaust, I am sure Derrick has one ?? If not, I do.

I think I would just pull the wheels, seat etc, easy stuff. the front end is going to require quite a bit to get off. with two guys it should be manageable with the forks on it. try not to damage the points cover. Good luck and watch your fingers.

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2011, 11:34:27 am »
Well, I pulled the carbs from the donor bike, and I'm cleaning them. Brad, the slow jets are crazy clogged! Good thing I've got guitar string. I just finished cleaning the first one. Now I'm having lunch, then on to the other three. Johnny may be coming over to help swap the engines later, but if not I'll get it done another day. I may be going out of town this weekend, so I'd like to do it before then. If I can only get help on the weekend, I'll be staying in town. The quarts crystal festival in Mt. Ida isn't that cool. 

Offline captain awesome

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2011, 11:42:19 am »
Weeknights are tough for me to get out that way. I'll see what's going on this weekend and get back to you.

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2011, 03:16:48 pm »
I cleaned the carbs and decided to throw them back on Dragula since I wasn't going to be pulling the engine today. It's running a lot better now that the slow jets are clear! I almost took the old hellbilly on a ride, but didn't want to put everything on "proper" enough to keep the airbox from falling off on the ride. I'm ready for the swap!

Offline wixil

• gas passing
  • Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2011, 04:02:19 pm »
So is this motor going to get a black spray bomb treatment and all the finned doo-dads?

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2011, 05:51:23 pm »
Nope. I'm going all natural with it.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2011, 10:33:31 am »
Nope. I'm going all natural with it.

Ah, a SOHC4 in the nude ;)

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
Re: The rebirth of Beatris the F3 (She Lives Again!)
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2011, 03:10:24 pm »
Beatris lives!!! I got the engine in yesterday with the help of a couple friends, then got it all hooked up and took it for a shake down ride today. It's running great! Here's a few pics.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 03:13:13 pm by Radam »

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2011, 03:15:41 pm »
I like it. Get Abby to ride it and then you can keep it.

Offline wixil

• gas passing
  • Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2011, 04:21:24 pm »
Nicely done, Adam. 

Offline captain awesome

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2011, 07:55:56 pm »
Looks better with the silver motor in there to boot!

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: The rebirth of Esmeralda the F3
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2011, 01:28:04 pm »
Cool. I can only get it to run for about a minute or so at a time. I'm going to borrow a battery charger from Johnny so I can charge it up to see if that's part of the problem, but I'm guessing the carbs just need cleaned. I didn't know that the carbs on the older models just have clips instead of screws on the bowls. Nice!

Yes the clips were VERY convenient.
But some idiot probably did not put the float bowl or clip on correctly, and then SUED Honda motor company for damages and now we have to have 4 tiny screws which you have to remove the carbs from the bike to work on them.

I worked for years on those bikes and never heard of a problem with the clip syle float bowl retainer. Cars also used that same system.

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2011, 02:15:51 pm »
Cool. I can only get it to run for about a minute or so at a time. I'm going to borrow a battery charger from Johnny so I can charge it up to see if that's part of the problem, but I'm guessing the carbs just need cleaned. I didn't know that the carbs on the older models just have clips instead of screws on the bowls. Nice!

Yes clips instead of screws.
It was much better and simpler back then. Never heard of one coming off either.
If one did come off it was probably because it was not secured properly.
Lucky, Is your CRS acting up?

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2011, 05:32:40 pm »
I think Beatris is done now. I just need to clean her up, and ride it some more. You know, just to make sure it works well before I try to sell it.

Offline AbbyRider

• Hot Shot
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2011, 05:57:43 pm »
I just can't believe your wife let you work on the engine INSIDE. I get in crap when the GARAGE smells like gas.
'98 VTR1000 Superhawk
'78 CB750F
'77 CB750F (in the works)
'81 KZ650 sitting in pieces in my basement

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2011, 07:29:34 am »
That's why she's my wife.  ;D

Offline wixil

• gas passing
  • Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2011, 07:47:00 am »
Yesterday was a hoot.  Beatris gets two thumbs up from me. She's a sweet ride.

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2011, 09:49:01 am »

Offline Bgbrnbby

• That one guy...
  • Living the dream...a lil' bit at a time...
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2011, 03:36:43 pm »
Radam you're casting shadows of doubt as to whether I should buy the 78'f I've been looking at here with 8,500 miles on it. Valve guide issues and all. Non yet on this bike though. Sad day indeed...
You only live once...

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2011, 03:46:35 pm »
I think I should have kept a closer eye on things and everything would have been fine. It would have been nice to meet the guy who built my bike back when I got it. It would have been nice to know if everything had been broken in right. Oh well. It's still a fun bike now.

Offline MikeKato

• Enthusiast
  • Milwaukee WI
    • TCB true life stories
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2011, 09:21:19 am »
The saddest post ever http://fayar.craigslist.org/mcy/2701862302.html  :'(

Very nice job from start to finish!
Just curious as to why you didn't use the pipes that came with the parts bike? Would have looked nice if you had extended them a couple more feet skyward and painted them purple.

I bet you are getting a nice amount of inquiries, looks like your selling price is very fair for that bike.

Congrats!
Mike

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2011, 09:38:38 am »
Thanks. I actually haven't had a single non spam reply about the bike. I just re-posted it today in the local cl. I'm thinking about putting it on ebay, but I've never sold a vehicle on there. I'm not sure what all red tape is involved with that. I still have the pipes if you want them. ;)

Offline captain awesome

• Old Timer
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2011, 09:51:22 am »
Thanks. I actually haven't had a single non spam reply about the bike. I just re-posted it today in the local cl. I'm thinking about putting it on ebay, but I've never sold a vehicle on there. I'm not sure what all red tape is involved with that. I still have the pipes if you want them. ;)

As long as you are prepared to pay their fees, and put that into your equation you should be okay.

Do the pipes not go with the leftover roller? Brad's gonna eat your ass on that one.