Author Topic: How much is a "sandcast" engine worth? !!!UPDATE!!! dog-pile begins on pg 12.  (Read 51948 times)

Offline anotherCB

• Hot Shot
Re: How much is a "sandcast" engine worth?
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2011, 01:47:01 pm »
This discussion reminds me of "Wheeler Dealers". For those who don't know it, there are two British blokes that buy old cars, fix them up and ALWAYS sell them for a profit, however not paying themselves anything for the labor they put in. So I would say it is pretty easy ALWAYS selling for a profit, if your hourly rate for the labor is valued low enough.
1978 CB750K, 2016 R1200 GS/LC, 1973 R75/5

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2011, 03:53:23 pm »
Pics or it didn't happen!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2011, 04:02:08 pm »
Well, KingCustomCycles, if you feel like my wife, then feel free to apply for a divorce.
Cliff.

Offline burnoutking1971

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2011, 04:13:18 pm »
@Gordon

Thanks, your post is kinda what I wants to say exactly.

@KingCustomCycle

Not everything in life should be so black and white, I'm happy you were able to capitalize from the sale of bikes well done. As for me and others well it's a hobby therefore; we don't care about profit margins or, return on investment. Everything in life cost money, fishing, travel, books, games, woodworking etc. People just do what they want to make themselves happy. I'm not sure what you mean by people getting in over their heads? Like I said before to each his own. If you own a cycle shop you should embrace potential customers on line rather than fire veiled insults at them or make a reference to about peoples wives.
:)

Offline bender01

• Master
  • "Follow the leader.He's on a Honda"
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2011, 05:25:32 pm »
I dont think hes seeing them or picking them up for a few days/weekend! This threads going to get loooooong.
75 550 K1
74 750 K4
1968 450 K1 Super Sport
74 750k 836 project
http://www.bikepics.com/members/bender01/
So, the strategy is to lie to people you are asking for help?

I think I'll be busy going for a ride.

Good luck!
Two Tired Quote !

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2011, 05:54:34 pm »
I dont think hes seeing them or picking them up for a few days/weekend! This threads going to get loooooong.

Too long already! Would you be patiently waiting if you had a chance to buy 'em?! I think not...
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2011, 06:10:19 pm »
This thread has veered far off and could get ugly and heated but might be a topic for a new thread. I know several flippers in my area,they do pretty well by and large but I kind of feel sad for some of the buyers and what they paid when I see the stuff beforehand.They are curious as to why I like to "accumulate" and not sell. As mentioned good stuff for a "Flipper" thread.
  Now back to this 5 engine Sandcast deal and frame. I will say that I am very skeptical. There is just to much easy info and pricing out there nowadays and people are not stupid who collect that much stuff. I will be happy to eat my words when I see the proof with some dated pics. I have a friend with a ton of Sandcast stuff,I teased once but fessed up quick on a thread about his wall of wrinkle tanks with pics. with a play question. Time will tell and good luck to the poster if its real and you aquire,it would be a GREAT score.

Offline burnoutking1971

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2011, 06:17:12 pm »
ekpent

I agree, I just want to see the photographs of the swag.
:)

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2011, 06:24:35 pm »
Good call Eric! Cliff.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2011, 07:52:11 pm »
excerpt, assume the motors are not sand-cast, until you see serial numbers that prove otherwise. Are 5 motors worth $800? Maybe, maybe not: it all depends on condition. As far as the aluminum frame, did he say it was for an SOHC4, or was it from a more modern bike that he was going to try to modify to fit?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 07:55:37 pm by scottly »
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2011, 08:02:19 pm »
I sure am seeing alot of rationalizations for getting in over your heads, I feel like your wives.  ;-)

You saying someone is "in over their head" just because they put more money into a bike than they would be able to sell it for?  Remember, most of us are in this because we enjoy these bikes, not to make a profit.  If you don't put money into something expecting to get more money out of it, then you're not losing a profit, you're just spending money doing something you enjoy.  You're placing your values on others' actions, and then judging them on your terms.  It doesn't work that way. 

Offline BAchvytrk

• Enthusiast
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2011, 08:07:36 pm »
well said Gordon
71 FLH
74 Ironhead
1965 305
1971 SL350
1974 750k
1975 550F
1977 550K
1980 KZ440
1980 CB900F

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2011, 08:23:46 pm »
I sure am seeing alot of rationalizations for getting in over your heads, I feel like your wives.  ;-)

You saying someone is "in over their head" just because they put more money into a bike than they would be able to sell it for?  Remember, most of us are in this because we enjoy these bikes, not to make a profit.  If you don't put money into something expecting to get more money out of it, then you're not losing a profit, you're just spending money doing something you enjoy.  You're placing your values on others' actions, and then judging them on your terms.  It doesn't work that way.

Exactly.   I will have over 10 grand in my K2, it is exactly what i have always wanted to do, i couldn't care less if the whole bike when finished isn't worth what i have put into it because its MINE, and its not for sale....  Maybe king feels like our wifes because he's showing his #$%*y feminine side... ;D
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2011, 08:34:06 pm »

Too long already! Would you be patiently waiting if you had a chance to buy 'em?! I think not...
+1

1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline bender01

• Master
  • "Follow the leader.He's on a Honda"
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2011, 09:06:32 pm »

I'm not lying. He works a lot and is rarely home, but that's what he told me, and that's the deal he made me.
As soon as he gets some time off and goes home, I'm driving there with a friend and picking it all up.

Hows he to purchase supposed items if seller isnt home? Has O/P had a habit of Tall tales on this forum?
  Not yet ::)
75 550 K1
74 750 K4
1968 450 K1 Super Sport
74 750k 836 project
http://www.bikepics.com/members/bender01/
So, the strategy is to lie to people you are asking for help?

I think I'll be busy going for a ride.

Good luck!
Two Tired Quote !

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2011, 09:34:13 pm »
Holey thread-jack, Batman! :o :o :o
Can we at least wait for the OP's feedback after checking the parts out before jumping to conclusions and getting totally off topic?
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline phil71

• Master
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2011, 09:40:40 pm »
we're never gonna see pics of those sandcast blocks... because.... well, you know how come.
  I don't own a single thing that isn't depreciating as I type. That includes my IRA.

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2011, 09:52:31 pm »
After this all blows over I'll tell ya about the old guy I know who has 5 Vincent Black Shadows in the barn for cheap. ;D

Offline esquire

« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2011, 10:53:12 pm »
I don't own a single thing that isn't depreciating as I type. That includes my IRA.

Hear hear.
1973 CB350F

Offline excerpt

• Enthusiast
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2011, 06:29:52 am »
excerpt, assume the motors are not sand-cast, until you see serial numbers that prove otherwise. Are 5 motors worth $800? Maybe, maybe not: it all depends on condition. As far as the aluminum frame, did he say it was for an SOHC4, or was it from a more modern bike that he was going to try to modify to fit?

I would be surprised if the motors weren't sandcast.
He drove a few hundred miles per to acquire these things. I never said sandcast, he did. He said they were all 68'-69' engines.
He said the aluminum frame cost him over 3k when he bought it.

That's what he told me. What can I say?

His job was supposed to be 3 weeks on, 1 week off, but they've been working him more lately. I'll call him every Thursday from here to eternity trying to find out when he's going home for a few days.
The guy isn't a liar, and he's not a delusional old man.

I know it sounds strange, but it is what it is.

Offline Raef

• Expert
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2011, 06:54:58 am »
I own nothing that I can't sell for more than I paid.  Nothing, nada.  I will say the food in my fridge costs me more than I can recover on resale.  Even that I consider a "foolish" purchase and grow many of my own vegetables.  Each to his own.  The opinion you have of entertainment, or enjoyment, having to cost you is silly.  Like I said, I love guys with money to throw away.  I am right here, throw it my way when you are ready.  I will add that I have made 100K in the last 7 years selling motorcycles.  Each one selling for more than I paid.  That buys a garage full of vintage bikes if I was so inclined to "enjoy" myself.

nothing...the car you drive, the TV you watch, the fridge that food is in. bragging about never loosing money on any deal is questionable at best. The best used car salesman will take a beating once in a while and most have no idea what integrity is. I have sold my labor for many years (about 25).  I bid for the worst and hope for the best, sometimes I get the tiger and sometimes I get mulled, its just the way it is.

You will never convince me, if you put a labor rate, say $30.00 per hour, on every hour you put in to a bike you sell there would be a profit margin. That would have to include from pick up to delivery and storage. And a gardener calling someone foolish for have a hobby, considering every hour spent planting, weeding, picking charged out is it really cheaper?

do love my fresh tomatoes, they are the only one's I eat.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 07:04:30 am by Raef »

Offline Raef

• Expert
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2011, 07:12:05 am »
my problem, too honest, what thread 8) ;D

no pics, it didn't happen

Offline 78whiteorbs

• Expert
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2011, 07:26:39 am »
How much is something worth? All the time people ask this though it is most ambiguous. Relatively speaking I'd have to agree with the guy who said ,"whatever someone will pay"

People who buy and sell for profit get railed all time by "hobbyists" and seriously , it can be a bit of a gamble on both sides for the buyer or the seller-    We  all have the liberty to make a responsible well informed purchase.  Given that , much like King, all my stuff is for sale and I am a buy for pennies and sell for the highest retail I can possible.  It takes alotta work to scout out sound investment purchases much like the engines in question and you have to be fast and strike while the iron is hot. I hear about people like King and it makes me smile, Good for you man , using your brain and not just tossing coinage - anybody can do that , well anyone with the coinage....   

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2011, 08:58:33 am »
Question your integrity ?   ?   ?

You remind me of a guy who told someone with a aupposed race history 500 four that it was worth 12 -15K...
 And the guy that told another member that his un-numbered KO carbs sould be worth 700 bux...

Whar possible reasons could anyone  have  for doing that.??
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2011, 09:14:33 am »
Simmer down King, I don't think anyone here is questioning your integrity, you come one here and help people out all the time and don't charge them for it.

Start bringing up the almighty and that's when my BS meter starts spiking and I will start to question, just so you know.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F