Author Topic: Metal in oil pan?? (Pics Updated)  (Read 2243 times)

Offline cb750rat

Metal in oil pan?? (Pics Updated)
« on: November 25, 2011, 10:50:23 am »
Hey guys, Newbie to the forum here.  I've got a '77 750f that I am somewhat restoring over the winter.  It's got about 13k miles on it and I bought it about 4 months ago.  I found what appears to be a little trouble when I was taking out the motor and opened up the oil pan.  I found a decent amount of aluminum metal shavings (no steel).  One piece I found in the oil pan was about an 1/8" round piece of aluminum, the rest just shavings though.  I also found a few little pieces of what seem to be clear rtv silicone or gasket maker material.  Before I started taking apart the bike about two weeks ago it was running strong, no noise from the cylinders, no clutch problems or slipping.  At first I thought it could be a piston skirt possibly, but was told by one mechanic if that was the case I would be getting some noise from the motor.  I was just wondering if anyone here had any thoughts or insight on this.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks guys! 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 01:51:20 pm by cb750rat »

Offline Toxic

• Expert
Re: Metal in oil pan??
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 10:54:23 am »
Post up some pics of what you found.

I have finding RTV chunks in any engine.  No excuse for that kind of sloppy work.

Welcome

Offline cb750rat

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 11:20:24 am »
pics.

Offline cb750rat

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 11:21:17 am »
pics.

Offline cb750rat

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 11:22:38 am »
pics

Offline cb750rat

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 11:23:29 am »
pics

Offline cb750rat

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 11:24:40 am »
pics

Offline cb750rat

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 11:27:21 am »
@ Toxic, tell me about it!  The guy I bought the bike from had some pretty shotty work on this thing.  Still wouldn't mind finding out where he was using the rtv. 

Offline wrenchmuch

• Hot Shot
Re: Metal in oil pan?? (Pics Updated)
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 03:06:16 pm »
If its aluminum it could be from the cam chain tunnel . The chain can whip around and carve bits of aluminum off . Sometimes the cam chain adjuster gets stuck and going through the adjustment procedure by the book won't adjust it properly . You can put a small screwdriver in the back of the adjuster and push in with the adjusters lock bolt loosened . It should spring in and out . If it doesn't it could be seized or the chain is badly worn . You will usually hear a fair bit of noise if its loose though . RTV was the reason I needed to replace many cam related components . Bits of it blocked the oil jets in the head . It had been used to seal the sleeves when somebody installed a 900 cc kit in the 70's (P.O gave me the receipt when I bought the bike ) .
Hope this helps .
CB750K1
CB750K4

Offline bjatwood

• I never claimed to be an
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB750-K3
    • Minbikers Proboards
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 05:56:51 pm »
WOW, open heart surgery for that engine for sure!
Good Luck and keep us posted.
Brian

I believe that the Finest things are the most thoughtfully made, not the most expensive!
http://minibikers.proboards.com/

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 08:39:06 pm »
I like the one picture of the bolt inside your oil pan,if that was in there when you removed than I say you might have a problem.

Offline Rigid

• She likes a
  • Expert
  • Speak from personal experience, or don't
    • KingCustomCycles
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 03:41:00 am »
All may not be lost.  I am leaning toward a loose cam chain that was left loose long enough to grind out some metal and then retightened to quiet it down.  If the engine runs well, has good compression, and shifts through all the gears smoothly, I would flush it out and leave it alone.  Watch it carefully for developing problems and try to find the cover that has the rtv on it and clean it off with a new gasket install.  Most of that debris in the pan looks like rtv, small pieces of cam chain tensioners, carbon, and sludge.  Of course if you are the curious type, or can't bring yourself to ride more than walking distance from your house because of this, tear her down. 
36 years of this stuff, here to help.

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 04:37:36 am »
The blob of what looks like silicon sealant worries me most, that stuff coming loose can clog the cam oiling orifices and kill the top end.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 07:08:22 am »
Here are a couple pics of a cam that had a little oiling issue on one side from a spare engine. Have not taken the head off yet but am sure the oil hole is probably plugged. Anybody wanna buy a cheap camshaft  :D Pic one is the good side - Pic 2 & 3 the baaad

Offline cb750rat

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 09:14:31 am »
Thanks guys for all the input!  The bike was running great before I took the motor out.  I think I'm gonna take Rigid's advice and flush it, out and see what happens when I get the bike back together in the spring,  Hopefully the damn thing will start!  Thanks guys

Offline Xnavylfr

• Expert
  • Beers, Babes and bikes since 1965
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 10:12:09 am »
In your second PIC all the black pieces look like to me they came from  your cam chain adjuster or wheel/roller!!
Check to see how far the cam chain adjuster is in. if it is REAL deep in the adjuster then you don't have much wheel left (NOT GOOD) It is Almost IMPOSSIBLE to see the chain roller/wheel without a teardown (HEAD REMVAL)

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)