Author Topic: CB750K6 the miraculous running Buffaloe  (Read 5548 times)

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: CB750K6 the headless Buffaloe
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 03:05:31 pm »
Well, my fiance named her (him?, whatever) Buffaloe while we were trying to think of names. So being the gentleman, she knows best  ;D

Anyway, according to the PO, this is a bike that just needed "the carbs cleaned". Right.
My list of what I've done so far, which you may have seen a little of in other forums.

New exhaust, as he had a very "harley" sounding exhaust on it, and it really did rumble like a chopper. More on that later.
With this new exhaust came removal of the old spigots, and replacing them with the studs and fins. Thanks to hapakev for the headers!
Ordered a CycleX muffler, the "quiet" supersport. It's pretty restrictive, but I'm not looking to deafen people, and combined with the 4-1 headers, should make for no need to replace jets.
After adjusting valves, I noticed 1-4 didn't seem to spark. Ie none at all. So I ordered some points, got them on today, and VOILA it doesn't sound like a harley anymore, it's amazing how different it is now!!!!  ::) Whoops...
I delved into the electrics, installed a new left hand switch, and I'm going to deal with lots of shoddy connections at some point. Needed a new flasher, and I'm probably just gonna find a bunch of new bullet connectors.
In the process of all this, cross threaded a spark plug, so I've ordered a thread chaser, hopefully to rescue it. It still runs now though, with no loss of compression so I'll just go easy on it until then.

And now, I'm about to adjust the timing and then the carbs, and take it for a spin tomorrow!

BTW, she made lots of awesome popping and gurgling as all that gas from running on 2 cylinders got thrown out of 1 & 4. Guess I have no choice but to get new plugs now, they're almost definitely shot after the abuse they're getting.

Before you adjust the timing, or adjust valves, the cam chain slack must be taken up.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: CB750K6 Buffaloe
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 03:09:42 pm »
Well, project has come to a grinding halt. Crossthreaded plug number 2, and tried to fix it. Just totally messed it up instead.

Always start spark plugs by hand just turn the socket with extension NO RACHET so you can feel if it is going in correctly. No it will need a time cert installed.

Offline K5owner

• Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 03:21:31 pm »
+1 on Lucky's suggestion to thread em by hand. I also use an anti-sieze compound on the threads (just a little, slighty above the first threads).
-Ray
-----------------------------------------------------
Remembering the past...   Livn' the dream

1975 Honda CB750 K5, Restored Aug/2011
1971 Honda CB175 K5, next project
1977 Honda CT70, swap meet scooter
2004 Honda NRX1800 (Rune), Cruiser
1977 Honda GL1000, daily driver

Offline bjbuchanan

• Master
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 09:43:59 pm »
Autozone has free tool rental, just go in and ask for a valve spring compressor to rent. Depending on your local store they may have 2 styles to choose from. You pay up front the total cost of the tool and you got 60 days to return it in one piece. When you do you will be refunded the full cost. Don't worry about losing the receipt either because they can just look it up because it will be warrantied.

I wear those horrid red shirts daily ;)
The dirty girl-1976 cb750k, Ebay 836, Tracy bodykit
Round top carbs w/ 38 pilots, middle needle position, airscrew 7/8ths out, 122 main jet
Stock airbox w/ drop in K&N, Hooker 4-1

Don't trust me alone with a claw hammer and some pliers

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 04:10:13 am »
+1 on Lucky's suggestion to thread em by hand. I also use an anti-sieze compound on the threads (just a little, slighty above the first threads).

I use a piece of hose to thread them in.  Works wonders on 2 and 3.

Offline buffaloejon

• Enthusiast
Re: CB750K6 the headless (and now valve-less) Buffaloe
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2011, 02:20:24 pm »
Well not really valve-less, but less-one-valve. I'm a dummy, and while trying to change valve guide seals, lost a set of the keepers. And by lost I mean launched across a local lawnmower repair shop. After driving around town for almost an hour trying to find the clamp style valve spring compressor, as I couldn't make the puller style work with the double springs, I ended up at a lawnmower repair place, using one that was *just* a hair too small for the valves. So, I found a little piece tubing to use as a spacer, and the little clamp jumped off the valve cause I wasn't being careful and PEW, they were gone. Heard them clank across the shop, long gone. Little buggers. And I still only changed 3 of the seals... Good thing though, the old ones are all original and hard as rock.

In fewer words, I'm a dweezle and boogered it up.
Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.

76 CB750K

http://photobucket.com/buffaloejon

Offline K5owner

• Enthusiast
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 03:05:40 pm by K5owner »
-Ray
-----------------------------------------------------
Remembering the past...   Livn' the dream

1975 Honda CB750 K5, Restored Aug/2011
1971 Honda CB175 K5, next project
1977 Honda CT70, swap meet scooter
2004 Honda NRX1800 (Rune), Cruiser
1977 Honda GL1000, daily driver

Offline valt

• Enthusiast
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2011, 12:20:11 am »
Whoop whoop got the head helicoiled! I was at least expecting to leave it at the shop for a couple days, but nope, we got it done right then and there for 25 bucks! But now, what am I supposed to do for the next few months!?

Looking over the engine a little closer, it appears there was a massive oil leak at some point between the head and cylinders in the front. Pretty thick mess of sand and oil turned into concrete oil-goop. Hopefully once I get the new gaskets put in it won't do that.

So two questions, gasket-sealer or no? And what the heck are the (8) little green pieces in my gasket set? They appear to have springs wrapped around them and another metal ring about halfway...

That motor definitely has a bad head gasket leak. If I were you, I would get new/better studs as they tend to stretch and let the head gasket leak. They aren't that expensive or hard to install. For not a lot of money it can definitely save you a ton of headaches.

Offline buffaloejon

• Enthusiast
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2011, 07:13:05 am »
valt, the reason the head gasket was leaking is because the PO took it apart to replace the original head gasket, and ONLY replaced the head gasket. Every other piece of rubber was original. And when he replaced the gasket, he didn't bother to clean the gasket surfaces whatsoever.

I'm thinking that since I'm stalled (again) anyway, I may ring it, hone it, and deck the gasket surfaces. And new studs, if that's suggested. Found a good machine shop when doing the helicoil, and I'm sure they'd do all of it without much hassle.
Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.

76 CB750K

Offline buffaloejon

• Enthusiast
Re: CB750K6 the miraculous running Buffaloe
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2012, 04:36:19 pm »
Alright, well it's put back together, motor in the frame, and everything done but vacuum synced carbs, finely timed ignition timing, and electrical gremlins found.

Runs quite well, idles at about 1900, revs well about that. 1 is rich, 4 is lean(maybe, maybe not), couldn't be bothered to pull 2 and 3 with a hot exhaust (which speaking of, all 4 are hot, after a short time, all enough to sizzle a wet rag, so they're all firing!!).

So carbs desperately need tuning now, gotta figure out why 1 is rich and 4 looks decent... will look at 2 and 3 shortly.

But, the clutch seems really short, and the friction zone is at the very end of the clutch release... rideable, but obnoxious.

List of things done, mostly for my own good:
New chain
Valves timed, cam tensioned
New valve stem seals
new head, head cover, points cover, starter cover, breather cover gaskets
new 4 orings under cam towers, new pucks
Carbs cleaned
(insert more here, I'm sure some was forgotten)

And of course, gotta have a picture!

Will add some more when I have them, hopefully I'll test drive it tomorrow, didn't feel that ambitious today, terrible day.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 04:43:42 pm by buffaloejon »

76 CB750K

Offline thrutheframe

• Expert
  • did you bleed when you built that?
CB750K6 the miraculous running Buffaloe
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2012, 05:14:56 pm »
Well not really valve-less, but less-one-valve. I'm a dummy, and while trying to change valve guide seals, lost a set of the keepers. And by lost I mean launched across a local lawnmower repair shop. After driving around town for almost an hour trying to find the clamp style valve spring compressor, as I couldn't make the puller style work with the double springs, I ended up at a lawnmower repair place, using one that was *just* a hair too small for the valves. So, I found a little piece tubing to use as a spacer, and the little clamp jumped off the valve cause I wasn't being careful and PEW, they were gone. Heard them clank across the shop, long gone. Little buggers. And I still only changed 3 of the seals... Good thing though, the old ones are all original and hard as rock.

In fewer words, I'm a dweezle and boogered it up.

Don't fret little mistakes.  I rebuilt the oil pump on my 79CB 650 and spent the last three days obsessing over and chasing the cause of a flashing oil pressure light.  It turns out a mis-routed it AND my neutral switch wire. My indicator lights looked like a drag race rolling down the road.  Also, take your time and watch about setting "riding by this date" goals, it will help keep mistakes to a minimum.
'74 cb 750 K4
'79 CB 650 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=83981.0
'75 CB 360T
'90 RC31 Hawk GT

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: CB750K6 Buffaloe
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2012, 07:25:13 am »
Yea that's exactly it, I DID tighten by hand. I get the feeling a PO had already repaired the threads once, because it was WAY to easy to get that thing crossthreaded.

But I'm definitely not abandoning the project, I've wanted a bike for so long its not even funny, and even if this is a big problem, its not big enough to scare me away.

What all does taking the cylinder head off entail? A new head gasket, what else?

Yes ...sounds like it was not your fault. You will need to take the engine out to fix it properly. No way around that .

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2012, 07:31:44 am »
DO NOT use screw drivers in the engine mounts again!!!
You were lucky this time, but it would be easy to bust the engine mount right off of the case.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2012, 07:39:26 am »
This is too scary a thread to read.
You need to get a impact driver and a #2 and a #3 phillips bit.
The screws in the valve cover are #3 phillips.

Before you use those "green things with springs" you need to have the valve guides and valves checked. Othewise a valve job.

You need to get some advice and help from a machine shop. Let them hot tank those cylinders. Get the cylinder walls measured and you will have to have new rings and new pistons if the cylinder walls are crooked.

You get big credit for being brave though.