Author Topic: RC Engineering CB750 engine  (Read 6835 times)

Offline yozuri54

• Honda Shop tech 1974-1982 (Chicago area)
RC Engineering CB750 engine
« on: October 09, 2011, 11:41:01 am »
I aquired an old CB750 engine for parts and discovered it was built using a lot of older RC Engineering stuff. So far, it has a 1000cc bore kit,copper head gasket, hotter cam, HD valve springs - I have not looked at the bottom end yet. The cylinder block and head have RC Engineering stamp and the serial number on engine puts it it in the 1969-70 era (slightly post sand cast).
Anybody have an idea what this thing may be worth? All things looks in very good low mileage condition......

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
Re: RC Engineering CB750 engine
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 11:43:01 am »
I'm no expert, but it's certainly worth more than a stock 750 motor in comparable condition.  IDK, maybe worth twice as much...What kind of shape is it in?  Mileage? Pics? Does it have the magneto?

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 03:04:46 pm »
Lucky you, end of the cam will tell you which grind. Connecting rods can affect the value, ie Golenrods or Carrillos.
 I assume it is a stock cylinder taken to 1000cc?
 Ity is a used engine so that will affect value
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Hinomaru

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 04:54:45 pm »
Oldie but goodie from 1976 ... Big Bike magazine article about building the RC 1000cc engine:

Cover: http://www.hondahog.com/RCeng.htm

Article: http://www.hondahog.com/RCeng_01.htm

The RC Cobra 1000cc engine cost $2,000.00 to build in 1976. Using the inflation calculator that would be equivalent to $7,898.34 in 2011.  :o

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 05:01:25 pm »
 I would give you 2 ..78F motors and a 75 F for that...
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 06:16:15 pm »
I get a kick out of reading that article. Looking at the Loctite on the big ends, hand chamfering the sleeves etc, etc. Christ.....I  love the pic of the vice grip tightening a stud in pic #35....that's the way to get it in. ::) I wish I knew...I would have given them 2, 10mm nuts! And how about a slotted cam sprocket....they were out there. Yoshimura had been doing it for years. That is some funny, hack stuff. My old 915 made at least 10% more power AND had an electric start (that worked every time). Thank God time has marched on. ::) ;) ;D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 06:29:29 pm by MRieck »
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 06:18:53 pm »
Lucky you, end of the cam will tell you which grind. Connecting rods can affect the value, ie Golenrods or Carrillos.
 I assume it is a stock cylinder taken to 1000cc?
 Ity is a used engine so that will affect value
I never saw Carrillo's in an RC engine Frank (at least the ones that they built).

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 06:33:13 pm »
"I raise you with a set of carbs and front spokes!" :) "I would give you 2 ..78F motors and a 75 F for that"...   I have my 915 engine sitting here....does that offer stand?? ;D

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 06:41:02 pm »
I get a kick out of reading that article. Looking at the Loctite on the big ends, hand chamfering the sleeves etc, etc. Christ.....I  love the pic of the vice grip tightening a stud in pic #35....that's the way to get it in. ::) I wish I knew...I would have given them 2, 10mm nuts! And how about a slotted cam sprocket....they were out there. Yoshimura had been doing it for years. That is some funny, hack stuff. My old 915 made at least 10% more power AND had an electric start (that worked every time). Thank God time has marched on. ::) ;) ;D
What about the main bearing clearance at .003"? ::) Also, an early alternator rotor weighs less than 6 pounds, not more than 8.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 07:03:13 pm »
What about the main bearing clearance at .003"? ::) Also, an early alternator rotor weighs less than 6 pounds, not more than 8.
You got a problem with that?? ;D ;D ;D ;D  Yeah...WTF?? :o ::)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 09:41:17 pm »
 Mike I am so tired of looking at them F's, but shipping would kill that deal..
 Dont know where the OP is at, maybe close?

I got enough stuff to build a 970, just  not enough coin to finish it right now..
  I am not sure which article you are referring to but ey may have been  messing around for the camera, they certainly had no trouble setting records.. Things were different back then.. its not like today..
 Also there was a time that Goldenrods were not out yet, or buyer could have specified rod choice.. good chance it has modded stockers in it..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 09:45:30 pm »
Mike I am so tired of looking at them F's, but shipping would kill that deal..
 Dont know where the OP is at, maybe close?

I got enough stuff to build a 970, just  not enough coin to finish it right now..
  I am not sure which article you are referring to but ey may have been  messing around for the camera, they certainly had no trouble setting records.. Things were different back then.. its not like today..
 Also there was a time that Goldenrods were not out yet, or buyer could have specified rod choice.. good chance it has modded stockers in it..

RC made more than golden rods Frank, i have a 70's catalogue and there are steel rods in there as well, not stockers modified.
Actually i may have a set in my RC engine, its been that long since i saw the inside of that motor i am not too sure if they are the golden rods or the steel ones.....  Terry has the RC catalogue at the moment....
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline BeenJamin72

• The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!
  • I need an ok fairing, tank with knee cutouts...
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 04:45:04 pm »
Check out ebay item number 120846636243

I hate to do this in a way, but I'm dirt poor. Hope someone on here can buy this. I can't find any info on the frame, but the engine is an RC Engineering 750.... I don't think the seller knows what he has. Good luck guys.

Ben
78' CB750F in pieces... Interested in any and all cafe parts! This is going to be a 'year or two' project.'
77' CB750F - Just bought complete bike (with title) for $500... Want to build an RC style racer like these:
http://www.motorsportretro.com/2011/03/dick-mann-honda-cb750/

Offline venicechoppers

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 06:53:38 pm »
Please, Ben, enlighten me.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 09:43:21 pm »
I think he knows what he has, just watch the reserve. What's a RC full drag race engine with complete loss ignition and Webers worth?!?! Then, a bunch. Now, whatever the market will bring. After you buy it you can see what kind of shape it actually is in. That's a potentially expensive crap shoot. I can tell you from experience that you can put in over $7000 in today dollars in a "750" engine with more modern stuff and without Webers and keeping the charging system. Looks like inflation is on track. AND, this is irrespective of the Sandcast cases since they have been "rebadged"by the RC stamp. That's both good and bad. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 09:47:48 pm by Jerry Rxman Griffin »
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline BeenJamin72

• The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!
  • I need an ok fairing, tank with knee cutouts...
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 07:23:27 am »
Very true, anything sight-unseen is a crapshoot! And there's not much to enlighten, it just hit me funny that the description was so vague. I almost fell off the couch when I first saw the listing, however reality struck and I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't own this setup by any means short of a miracle... So I figured  I'd get a post out there to try and share something that has/had the potential of being a goldmine. Maybe the seller knew exactly what he had and 'spoke' vaguely for a reason? Anyway, just trying to keep an eye out for fellow 750 owners/builders. Take care all!

Ben
78' CB750F in pieces... Interested in any and all cafe parts! This is going to be a 'year or two' project.'
77' CB750F - Just bought complete bike (with title) for $500... Want to build an RC style racer like these:
http://www.motorsportretro.com/2011/03/dick-mann-honda-cb750/