Author Topic: 1/8" drill bit carb sync ? Rookie question.  (Read 2484 times)

Offline quidger

• Enthusiast
1/8" drill bit carb sync ? Rookie question.
« on: August 13, 2009, 08:05:10 pm »
Newbie question. When you bench sync which side of the throttle slide is the 1/8" drill bit go into to measure the gaps?

Offline 1timduke

• Hot Shot
  • '75 CB550
Re: 1/8" drill bit carb sync ? Rookie question.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 09:13:49 pm »
The drill bit goes into the intake side of the carbs, there should be just the tiniest sliver of light visible on the engine side.

Oh yeah, use the round end of the bit, not the fluted side (yeah, I did that :P)

-Tim
The only thing I miss about the South is Waffle House!

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 02:43:23 am »
Dissagree, use the drill on the flat bottomed side of the slide otherwise you will get varying openings depending on where on the curve the drill is.

wind the idle screw in untill the drill shank(parallel part) just slides under the lowest carb the adjust the others down to it so you can then unadjust the idle screw to get a tickover
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 05:27:36 am »
Or use the flashlight method.  With a light source in the inlet side of the carb, adjust until the light just barely disappears on the engine side.  If you have a reference carb (usually #2) set that one first using the idle adjust thumb screw.
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.