Author Topic: Instrument gauge light color  (Read 3007 times)

Offline rbmgf7

• 2>4
  • Expert
Instrument gauge light color
« on: August 20, 2011, 05:02:02 pm »
I'm rebuilding my gauges since the faces are shot and the needles and housing could use a repainting.

I just ordered new K2 faces from cb750faces.com and I'm having the housings powdercoated (both the black and chrome housing. The chrome is nearly gone)

If you didn't know, the color your gauges produce when lit is just the color of the paint reflected from insides of the inner housing. Essentially, you can color these any color you want and the light will reflect and produce that color (as long as you run a white bulb. I went ahead and replaced my bulbs with LEDs).

Well, I just wanted to keep it the original turquoise color. Aerosol in that color is hard to find so I went to Hobby Lobby. Picked up colors which match or come real close. Between the Patio Paint and Yard and Garden acrylic variety I got:

Pumpkin - the orange for the needle tip
Blue Bahama - the turquoise for the inner housing
Garden Gate White - for the needle body

Just scuffed the parts with 400 grit sandpaper and painted away. I'm not done yet so I'll post the results assembled and lit

Offline CJK

• Enthusiast
Re: Instrument gauge light color
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 03:47:51 pm »
That sounds quite promising, of course my only concern would be with the durability of the acrylic paint due to the UV rays, but time will tell and worse comes to worse you repaint it every year or so. It's still more feasible than doing nothing. How soon until you will have them reassembled?

Offline rbmgf7

• 2>4
  • Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 11:38:23 am »
The new faces came in last week and i'm waiting for the housings to come back from the powdercoater sometime this or next week. I still need to do one or two more coats with a clearcoat. Hope to have them together by the end of the month.

The paint says it's meant for outdoor use so we'll see how long it holds up.

Offline CB750faces.com (Lecram)

• Enthusiast
  • CB750faces.com
    • Buy High Quality Honda gauge parts online!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 07:18:52 am »
Are you already finished with your gauges? I am very curious for the result.