Author Topic: 1975 CB550 Throttle Adjustment Frustration - NEW PICTURES ADDED  (Read 19958 times)

Offline quidger

• Enthusiast
Re: 1975 CB550 Throttle Adjustment Frustration - NEW PICTURES ADDED
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 05:28:32 am »
As I suggested earlier - disconnect the the lower cable, does it work nice now? I have had the same problem once, I it was due to poor adjustment on the cables, too tight.
I think that you are suggesting that the push cable is almost irrelevant and that the pull cable should function properly without the push cable even being hooked up. I've tried that. And same thing. No difference in the snap back. At this point I am going to take the cables off and lube them per Two Tired suggestion and then re-install and see if this might make a difference. Don't know any other course of action.

Thanks again to all who have opined. I'll report back no matter what the outcome this weekend.

Offline Lars

• Hot Shot
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 06:12:52 am »
OK, if that is tested as well, and the unit the push cable is attached to moves freely without the cables mounted, is must be the cables. As long as the handle grip moves freely, too. Good luck, keep us updated!
...if you got the ability to act...

Offline quidger

• Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 06:23:08 pm »
Okay, wait til you hear what the problem was. I put new handlebars on the bike that were a bit lower in stance than the OEM's that I took off. They did not have the elongated hole drilled in the bars for the throttle control wiring so I had a friend with a big drill press handle the job for me.

The hole was drilled about 1/2" further in from the end of the bars than the original. So the switch housing and the  plastic  throttle slide sets 1/2" beyond the OEM position of the end of the handlebars. Therefore, the rubber hand grip was dragging on the end of the handlebar causing the drag on the cables. In other words, it was really the grip that was dragging and causing the throttle to not snap back properly.To complete the solution to the problem I will need to elongate the hole toward the end of the handlebar or trim about 1/2" off of the end of the bar. Project for next spring. Trying to winterize all the bikes and get them put away for winter now. Current, short-term solution is to pull the grip off of the end of the handlebar a bit and all works fine.

Thanks to all who gave me their input. Glad it was such a simple fix but sorry I had to get so many folks involved for a minor problem. 

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011, 09:17:21 pm »
#$%*,,cut the end of the grip off or use open ended ones and use a bar end plug for safety.

Offline quidger

• Enthusiast
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2011, 06:18:16 am »
#$%*,,cut the end of the grip off or use open ended ones and use a bar end plug for safety.

First time I've seen something like this. I might check into it. Thanks for the suggestion.