Author Topic: Red Wing Shocks  (Read 14569 times)

Offline Frostyboy

• Retired: Never was an
  • Expert
  • Circa 1951
Red Wing Shocks
« on: November 29, 2009, 02:59:22 am »
I have no connection with this ebay seller, but seeing that I already have a brand new set of rears for my 550, I thought maybe someone else may not have seen these yet. According to his spiel, these are a performance line offered in the 70's. These are 13".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-CB750-CB550-CB400F-NOS-PERFORMANCE-SHOCKS_W0QQitemZ220515475338QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3357bf1f8a

If I hadn't already paid for my others I think I would've got these, they look pretty cool.
I hope I haven't just created spam by posting this, just tryin' to help out ok?
Last year I joined a support group for procrastinators.
We haven't met yet.
[CB550F1]

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: Red Wing Shocks
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 04:20:10 am »
Red wing shocks were rubbish back in the day Frosty, and they certainly haven't improved with age. That's $169.00 worth of disappointment. For the same money you can buy a good set of Hagons, that actually are a performance shock. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Frostyboy

• Retired: Never was an
  • Expert
  • Circa 1951
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 04:24:30 am »
Can't argue with the voice of experience Terry, maybe that's why they're still in the box?  ::)
Cheers.
Last year I joined a support group for procrastinators.
We haven't met yet.
[CB550F1]

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 04:31:10 am »
Probably mate, there were plenty of good shocks around back in the day, Koni, Boge, Betor, Marzocchi, Hagon, S&W, etc etc. The only benefit of fitting "Red Wing" shocks would be to stop the tyre from hitting the fender. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 05:01:35 am »
Red wing shocks were rubbish back in the day Frosty, and they certainly haven't improved with age. That's $169.00 worth of disappointment. For the same money you can buy a good set of Hagons, that actually are a performance shock. Cheers, Terry. ;D

+ a big fat 1.

Rob
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 05:56:06 am »
I got a good deal on mine but no I dont like them.
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 08:04:27 am »
For the same money you can buy a good set of Hagons, that actually are a performance shock. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Where can I find Hagons for a similar price? (Yes, I know this thread is old. I used the search function like a good boy!)
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

mrjack55

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 09:05:05 am »
Terry is once again right on the money! 
I bought a set from this guy, and they were total poop!  Check out the link below to my build thread, and you'll see that they couldn't even hold the weight of the bike.  Once I sat on it, the rear fender dropped directly onto the rear tire.

To the sellers credit, he was a stand up guy and refunded my money upon return of said craptacular Redwing shocks.

+++1 for the Hagons!

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 09:11:51 am »

+++1 for the Hagons!

Again, best source for Hagons?
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

mrjack55

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 09:16:22 am »

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 04:48:00 pm »
I see Hagons getting great reviews and recommendations on this site. For those in the know how do they compare in performance compared to Progressive Brand shocks?

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 05:29:29 pm »
I bought a set from this guy, and they were total poop!

your supposed to throw the shocks away and use the cardboard box they came in.

mrjack55

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 06:13:09 pm »
I bought a set from this guy, and they were total poop!

your supposed to throw the shocks away and use the cardboard box they came in.

If I only had that information then, could have saved me so much hassle.  ;D ;)

Offline wookie

• Enthusiast
  • I would get up if i knew i fell
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 08:27:44 pm »
LOL i bought a set too a couple years back.  Springs were mis-shaped or warped,  either way i was glad to ditch em.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 08:54:17 pm »
I see Hagons getting great reviews and recommendations on this site. For those in the know how do they compare in performance compared to Progressive Brand shocks?

Progressives. I'm not a fan, I paid 600 bucks plus shipping for a pair of their 440's for my Triumph Rocket III, and I don't think they're much better than the stockers, and certainly nowhere as good as Ikons. (which I should have bought) Based on my (limited) experience with their high end shocks, I doubt that their cheaper shocks would compare favourably to Hagon's. I do like their forks springs though. Cheers, Terry. ;D 

Offline fang

• Hot Shot
    • Food Renegade
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 11:02:41 pm »
I've actually been really happy with my New, recently manufactured 'hammer head' Red Wing shocks on my '74 RD350...  of course that is a much smaller and lighter bike.  Still, they seem to perform great on that machine.

cheers,
-Fang
Download Nervous Norvus' "The Fang"  HERE.
Tired of eating CRAP!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 12:34:54 am »
I've actually been really happy with my New, recently manufactured 'hammer head' Red Wing shocks on my '74 RD350...  of course that is a much smaller and lighter bike.  Still, they seem to perform great on that machine.

cheers,
-Fang

Yep, I reckon you could put just about anything on an RD350 and it'd still handle mate, they're a great little bike, and I wish I had another one. Super light, excellent accelleration, and (in their day) racebike like handling. It's a pity the EPA are such wankers, or there'd still be lots of cool strokers out there frightening our heavy, wobbly old Dinosaurs! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 06:23:08 am »
Are KYB Hammerhead and Redwing both one in the same back in the day. Never found out much on these,think they are old motocross shocks. Actually mounted them up to a 750 back in the early 80's for awhile to get a little 'Kewl' factor.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 10:15:50 am »
I put a pair of Red Wings on my 500 a few days ago.  A co-worker gave them to me to try out.  They'd been sitting in his garage for fifteen years, never mounted them on his 400f before selling it.  They felt okay for street driving around town.  But I took her into the hills yesterday and it was all squishy and squirmy back there...didn't like it. 

Emailed Dave Quinn for a quote, and hopefully it's not too bad.  Are Hagons a good choice for under $300?  I'm not racing, but I want good shocks.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 03:45:17 pm »
Are KYB Hammerhead and Redwing both one in the same back in the day. Never found out much on these,think they are old motocross shocks. Actually mounted them up to a 750 back in the early 80's for awhile to get a little 'Kewl' factor.

G'Day Eric, I don't know Redwing's history, but KYB (Kyaba) are good quality Japanese shocks, I had a set of Kyb's in a Ford car I had, and they were very good indeed. I don't know what your "Hammerheads" are like, are they gas? Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline 70cbk0

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 05:32:38 pm »
I finally bit the bullit and bought Hagons. They don't have a supply on hand in England so, they built them. took about 6 weeks for me to get them through British Cycle Supply in Nova Scotia. They look really nice, haven't installed them yet. Look to me like the top shroud is slightly shorter than the Honda's, but my original ones were so shot, I thought I might kill myself riding the bike! I think with exchange and shipping it worked out to about $360.00, but they are a much better shock than the originals. (so I hear)
1970 CB 750K0
1969 CB 750K0
1966 CB77 Superhawk
1982 Honda XR200R