Author Topic: The Runcible Racer - maduncle's CB450 project  (Read 57948 times)

maduncle

Re: The Runcible Racer - maduncle's CB450 project
« Reply #150 on: September 01, 2012, 03:00:44 am »
First day of spring here and I got loads done.

Seat pan fixed to the frame using nutserts. Test bolts only, I will be using shorter ones!

Electrics tray fabricated, it bolts up on the frame rails and the seat pan nutserts, nice and neat

Frame, couple of triples, swing arm, side stand and ignition holder all in the kitchen keeping dry until I drop them off at the powder coaters on Wednesday.

I am getting two triples prepped - one is for a CL450 triple tree set up, and the other is for a CB450K1 with steering tensioner triple tree set up. Not sure which I will use yet...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 03:04:40 am by maduncle »

maduncle

« Reply #151 on: September 14, 2012, 05:01:46 am »

Progress.

1. Frame back from the powder coaters.

2. Same frame hours later.

To be honest - I only keep this thread alive 'cos I started it. I get a much better response on the HondaTwins forum and on the Netrider forum in Australia.

If I am boring the SOHC folk with a non SOHC build, I can pull the thread and call it quits here.

Offline onepieceatatime

• Hot Shot
« Reply #152 on: September 14, 2012, 05:12:11 am »
I have enjoyed following the thread. I just do not really have anything to add to it.
1965 CA77
1972 CB750K Ol' Sarge
1974 CB450K7
1977 CB750K7
1977 CB750K7
1980 CB650C
1982 CM450A
1997 GL1500SE

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #153 on: September 14, 2012, 05:23:30 am »
 nope. Still watching. Its looking good.

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
« Reply #154 on: September 14, 2012, 06:19:35 am »

I am embarrassed to say that I just NOW found this and just finished reading through the entire project, up to now. I am a 450 DOHC Fan and found your Project VERY Interesting and will be keeping up with whatever you post on it, from this point on. Your attention to detail and well thought out plan, for This 450, Is VERY Cool (in MY book). Keep up the good work. You are an inspiration, buddy.  ;)
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #155 on: September 14, 2012, 10:51:23 am »
Bored to tears.  ;D

Seriously, keep it up. just because we dont post doesnt mean were not watching and learning. Keep an eye on your post count that will tell you how many people are following your build.

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=e8jrst4r936vmsff9ci3u0eae6&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #156 on: September 14, 2012, 11:23:21 am »
hey ..are on now..have just faund this thread.. have just got a brown seat bomber..500 t..nice to see inside the engine..hope not to se inside  of mine :o
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #157 on: September 14, 2012, 02:41:09 pm »
There there Cliff, don't forget that this is a SOHC4 forum, so the vast majority of folks here will have nothing but a passing interest in your build. It doesn't mean we don't think you're doing a great job (which you are) it's just that it's not the bike that we all come here to see.

I like your bomber, but you've already qestioned my taste in bikes, so maybe that explains why I keep coming back to check on your build? Anyway, keep going, and if you feel another hissy-fit coming on, call me, and I'll bring over a big box of tissues............. ;D   
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #158 on: September 14, 2012, 03:04:08 pm »
There there Cliff, don't forget that this is a SOHC4 forum, so the vast majority of folks here will have nothing but a passing interest in your build. It doesn't mean we don't think you're doing a great job (which you are) it's just that it's not the bike that we all come here to see.

I like your bomber, but you've already qestioned my taste in bikes, so maybe that explains why I keep coming back to check on your build? Anyway, keep going, and if you feel another hissy-fit coming on, call me, and I'll bring over a big box of tissues............. ;D

Don't forget the teaspoon of cement Terry.... ;D ;D

Looking good Cliff... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

maduncle

« Reply #159 on: September 15, 2012, 02:25:14 am »

Gee thanks uncle Terry, I feel a bit better now.

And I think you have great taste in bikes...

... not counting that overgrown over chromed cappuccino machine Triumph.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #160 on: September 15, 2012, 02:37:26 am »

Gee thanks uncle Terry, I feel a bit better now.

And I think you have great taste in bikes...

... not counting that overgrown over chromed cappuccino machine Triumph.

Ha ha, now don't be jealous of my beautiful Triumph Cliff, yes it's true that your clapped out old VFR has had more hits than Elvis and is only one step away from the recyclers, but if it's all you've got, then be happy mate. ;D 
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

maduncle

« Reply #161 on: September 15, 2012, 04:08:01 am »

Yes Terry - the old VFR is a bit clapped out, but it is fun thrashing it around town ;D

Today I got the wheels on the CB450, and had a go at getting the rear brake linked up to the rear set brake lever.

I had to shorten and bend the rear brake rod into a Z shape to fit to the rear set, seems a bit 'flimsy' to me - but then this is the original rear brake method. Not sure about it yet - I did sit on the bike and roll it, then apply the rear brake. Pulled it up pretty well.

Tomorrow I will fit the front brake stay and maybe the brake cable. The other challenge is working out how to hold the speedo drive in place on the front, as it won't be used and therefore won't be held in place. Might need to fabricate a little plate off the fork bottom nuts to hold it still.

I would show you all photos - but for some reason Photobucket won't upload for me.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #162 on: September 15, 2012, 04:22:04 am »
No worries Cliff, get some pics posted mate, Z shaped brake rods don't sound good at all. I spent all day mowing and whipper-snipping, but now I've finally got my Triumph seat back from Peter, I want to go for a decent blat tomorrow and see if it was worth 450 bucks. Cheers, Terry. ;D

maduncle

« Reply #163 on: September 15, 2012, 04:45:37 am »
No worries Cliff, get some pics posted mate, Z shaped brake rods don't sound good at all. I spent all day mowing and whipper-snipping, but now I've finally got my Triumph seat back from Peter, I want to go for a decent blat tomorrow and see if it was worth 450 bucks. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Feel free to call by and critique the brake assembly - your ideas would be appreciated.

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #164 on: September 15, 2012, 08:20:21 am »
I put a very slight bend into a bmw linkage like that. Anytime you pull hard the rod tries to go straight.

maduncle

« Reply #165 on: September 16, 2012, 04:04:56 am »
Righto - Photobucket is behaving for me now, so...

This much is together now, with the tank and seat mounted just to see how it all looks.

I am going to have to design and make a MK2 version of the electrics tray and get it higher up under the seat, sitting on the bike brings the rear wheel to within 1 inch of the tray, maybe I can adjust the sag in the Hagon's a bit too.

Today I fabricated a rear brake rod from scratch, using 1/4" galvanised steel rod from the hardware store. I threaded the rod to 6mm where required and bent it to shape. It is much stronger than the stock rod (which was around 2/3 the diameter).

Rather than paint the brake rod, I thought I would try sleeving it with black plastic electrical 'heat shrink' tube and then heating it lightly so the heat shrink grips the rod. Sort of a plastic coating process.

And I also picked up another CB450K1 tank off eBay, and a NOS CB450K0 front brake stay.

Next weekend - I tackle installing the pistons and jugs.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 04:07:22 am by maduncle »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #166 on: September 16, 2012, 05:05:48 am »
Looking good Cliff, good job on the brake rod. Are those rear shocks too short? It looks a bit low at the back? Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #167 on: September 16, 2012, 07:51:05 am »

Whoa, Now This 450 is REALLY taking shape! I'll Definitely be keeping up with this, as I am a 450 DOHC fan anyway.
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Offline Killer Canary

• Master
  • Typical Bran Muffin
« Reply #168 on: September 16, 2012, 12:18:15 pm »
You're the country gentleman of twins Bill! ;D
If it's worth doing at all it's worth over-doing.
Honda MT250, CB400F, CB450K, CB550, GL500, CBR929
Kawi GPz900, H1

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #169 on: September 16, 2012, 01:53:39 pm »
You're the country gentleman of twins Bill! ;D

Well Thanks KC, for the kind words.  ;) Good to hear from you buddy.  :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 01:56:10 pm by bill440cars »
Member # 1969

maduncle

« Reply #170 on: September 16, 2012, 02:33:38 pm »
Looking good Cliff, good job on the brake rod. Are those rear shocks too short? It looks a bit low at the back? Cheers, Terry. ;D

They are the Hagon's specified for a CB450, and they are the same length as the original ones - so I am thinking they are the right shocks.

Time will tell once all the weight is in the frame I guess!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #171 on: September 17, 2012, 12:39:57 am »
No worries mate, it just looks a bit odd with that front up, bum down look, kinda looks a bit like a chopper? Anyway, like you say, once the engine's in, it might drop down a bit in the front. Cheers, Terry. ;D   

maduncle

« Reply #172 on: September 18, 2012, 04:07:59 am »
It's kinda nice when you get a couple of hours in the shed to tinker on your bike build after work during the week.

Tonight I started by installing the front brake cable, these twin leading shoe brakes sure do work well.

I then installed the replacement steering tensioner I bought to replace the broken knob version I previously received in the post. But - this one had 10mm of thread missing off the end! So I had to give the star washer a slight 'tap' to flatten it ever so slightly to then give me enough thread purchase to start the tensioner into place. All on now and good and tight, doesn't really seem to do all that much in the way of actual tensioning - but it looks good!

And those are the Motolana headlamp mounts I bought, they work okay and will allow me to mount the little headlamp with single gauge.

Finally - since I was on a roll, I decided to install the pistons and fit the sleeves. So new rings onto the pistons, pistons installed (with a double check to make sure that they were facing the right way) then a careful slide down of the sleeves into position. A bit tricky to do, but with some careful ring squeezing I got there. And I only lost the cam chain in the sump once.

Finally, I retired for the evening to begin reading the second large box of old motorcycle magazines I have inherited.

The Aussies amongst us may recognise this gem - mint condition and I have most of year one as well as edition one.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 04:11:25 am by maduncle »

maduncle

« Reply #173 on: September 23, 2012, 03:02:28 am »

You meet the nicest people on eBay.

Yesterday I met Eric from Point Cook. I went down to Eric's place to pick up a CB450K1 tank (in near mint original condition complete with all parts) and three boxes of engine and assorted parts for a CB450. Eric is a nice guy, with a big back shed full of bikes.

Triumphs, BSAs, Nortons, Bultacos, Hondas, JAP engine flat trackers, etc, etc.

So now I have a full set of engine spares and three tanks - I think I need a bigger shed.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #174 on: September 23, 2012, 03:51:54 am »
Well done Cliff, when you're building an engine it's great to have a spare of every component in case something breaks, or something was missing, or you've forgotten how an assembly goes together etc. That's a nice looking tank too! Cheers, Terry. ;D