Author Topic: What have I done? (bs scrambler)  (Read 2261 times)

Offline faux fiddy

• Just becaus I'm the second post on the pissed off thread doesn't mean I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • bike in a box
What have I done? (bs scrambler)
« on: April 12, 2011, 08:39:36 pm »
There were no bids, so I put one in. Now I gotta figure out how to pay and pick up...

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 01:51:22 am by tree fiddy of industry »
^^^^^^^/l^^^^^^^^^^^^^^/l^^^
. . ______/ l_________________/  l
<'  '  '   '  o .  . . . . . . .................(
 ' VVVVV'   ')))))____>-''''''''''''''''''\  l
' . vvvv_   -              -                 \/

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
Re: What have I done?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:16:23 pm »
Cool little project TFI..... ;)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 04:24:09 pm by Retro Rocket »
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline faux fiddy

• Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 12:26:12 am »
Thanks, RR. I thought for $150 american I shouldn't let it get away. My late dad and I went to Kerville to pick up one of my  junk 350f's that had become a three wheeler trz reincarnation.

I am figuring I will try to go by train on the Heartland flyer and then the Texas Eagle to Austin. I talked with a friend there who says she can fit it in her toyota sienna, then perhaps disassemble and make more trips or box and send.

More trips can be a good thing. Not sure what the train lets you bring on, but I'm thinking about talking to a real person  asking if they can bring a roller onboard for the price of a person.

Oh yeah, help me picture in my mind expansion chambers that com off a 1oo or so that are cheap on e-bay and can be cut /cobbed to run out the back like Ducati.

OOOOhHHHHHMMMMMMmmmmmm
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 12:28:51 am by tree fiddy of industry »

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 12:29:11 am »
That looks like the early Yamaha street scramblers we used to call "nutcrackers" because of the tank set up...it's OK you'll find out first bump you hit. ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline faux fiddy

• Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 12:39:25 am »
That looks like the early Yamaha street scramblers we used to call "nutcrackers" because of the tank set up...it's OK you'll find out first bump you hit. ;D

Thanks for the warning. Not sure what is going on with it other than actually getting it in / under my roof. Gotta figure out what I actually got.

From there it might get forks from a honda. It's not actually sight unseen but I  comprehend it might need pistons. If it is a 200 they are 50 mm with a 45 mm stroke. Anyone with common knowlege of yam'kaw'da'zuki that is 50 mm let me know what is available in 50. I'm not too proud to substitute sumpin' else if the stack heighth and wrists are similar.

By the way, Hush, Steinlager is on sale everywhere in the middle of US. In the bars and the Liquor stores you might find it cheaper than more local fav's. (1$/bottle as a six pack). How does it compete in the local market with the shipping cost  BS for NZ?

Maybe the distributor would  return the shipping containers with a palate of cheap stuff for the MC guys in NZ?

Offline faux fiddy

• Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 02:07:22 am »
Bump.

Had a nice trip to austin, didn't really do much as I should have. Made it to Lukenback at 9 am for a beer. We were too close for my friend not to experience it. The bike is in the shop pissing me off now.

One of the selling features [that scared bidders off] was the statement that the bike had no pistons. Well the pistons are very much there, it is a 200 scrambler from about 1970.

The heads came off or were loose, so no problem with that except a single stuck stud. Had a nice homemade head gasket that looked to be a beer coaster from a bar.

Got one of the jugs loose, the other is being a cantankerous b!@+ch prolly the crank is stuck , and it is at the bottom of the stroke so any penetrating solution just runs out the ports. It does  go in and out of gear, not sure where or when the project is going at this point other than soaking and smacking things loose if I can.

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 05:15:38 am »

Did you ever figure out what it was? Because it has the carbs on the side of the crankcase, meaning it has rotary valves. I'm saying it's a Kawasaki twin. I can be wrong, but I do know that they made some 250 and 350cc models like that and the shape of the gas tank says it's a Kawasaki as well. Pretty cool and I am waiting to see what You do with this one too. ;)
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 05:43:37 am »
Looks to me like a little Bridgestone,parts may be a little hard to come by. Would love to find a good running Bridgestone 350 twin.Kaw did use that same kind of induction for a little bit. Here is a starter link,maybe something like it here.   http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/classic_bikes/bridgestone-classic-motorcycles.php
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:48:05 am by ekpent »

Offline faux fiddy

• Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 10:27:13 am »
It's a 1970 according to the numbers-Bridgestone 200 MK II SS.  The 'SS' desiginates scrambler. I think it has chromed piston sleves at one time, not sure how to fix those other than buy new.

And yeah, the 350gt is a desireable model, there is a forum for Bridgestone , not as active as SOHC4 but good to peruse..

There are actually a few NOS parts houses out there.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 01:09:05 am by tree fiddy of industry »

Offline faux fiddy

• Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 01:02:42 am »
It's comming apart bit by bit with a little bit of strong arming, penetrating fluid, propane torch and a puller.

Port side piston came loose pretty easy. Starbord is another story. For now the strategy after hammer and banging on the piston was to tap out two holes and  bolt a puller to it. Still not much budge but some creaking with torque. Let it sit for a bit with torque to do it's own work.

Getting all covers loosened and or off, cute little slide carbs in there, neither of them are froze up like everything else seems to be.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 01:09:47 am by tree fiddy of industry »

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 01:22:30 am »
You could have used that puller in reverse, a pusher.... ;D No, seriously and just put a piece of wood or plate on the piston top wound some pressure on , and leave sit with some marvel oil or something similar....
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 10:08:56 pm »
There were no bids, so I put one in. Now I gotta figure out how to pay and pick up...

Very cool a port timed two stroke!! 40% more power right off the top!!

Offline faux fiddy

• Old Timer
  • bike in a box
Re: What have I done? (BS Scrambler)
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 01:19:04 am »
Yeah. Looking at it, Mc Mentor is sayin' a 'little' porting, could help, but no telling until it's apart.   Once he is done with his  [very meticulous ] rebuild of  his rotary valve can-am he will have a bit more experience to pick apart anything I ever think I can do. That's a good thing.  Plus the can am is to be his surrogate race bike, so it's  special the way he will do that one.

Looking at the BS archives this and similar ones seem to get good gas mileage, probably using optimum conditions, flat ground, etc.   Bit if there is any chance to tune it for 90 mpg I would drive/rap it like a moped. avoid flogging it,  and put a bazzilion miles on it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 01:50:05 am by tree fiddy of industry »

Offline faux fiddy

• Old Timer
  • bike in a box
Re: What have I done? (bs scrambler)
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 09:48:19 pm »
Burn Ban Lifted- (Not sure if the torch in this location would have been legal a month ago).

The jug finally came off.  Torch, puller, and enough smacking on the top of the puller to mushrom the head a bit.  it finally came out.   Oh yeah,  Aero-Kroil   added , might have made the difference.

Anyone got any suggestions on re-chroming or nicasil  the bore?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 05:00:25 am by fiddy of industry »

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 06:53:58 pm »
The engineers for Tohatsu moved with the sale of the motorcycle division to Bridgestone and then again to Kawazaki............I don't know if he is on the BS site but you may be able to get parts and advice from Kevin at www.scramblercycle.com
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline faux fiddy

• Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 07:51:23 pm »
WHat is it that makes tearing apart an old bridgestone so compelling?  It was a good day for disassembly.

This stuff was stuck as heck. I had been shown a neat trick with a socket/tube/washers/bolt and nut that you can use to pull a stuck wrist pin and get a piston off.  I guess I submit it to tricks and tips now that it's proven effective , and the first was so damn stuck, too!

The jugs didn't clear the frame  and the studs needed to be shortened: for that to happen  cut off with a hacksaw.  Motor side is crusty, transmission looks clean so far. (The one gear I thought looked crusty  is a rusty colored bakelite gear).

The pistons are junk/grooved/hammered on the top. The jugs are hashed and the walls are way thin, but we're talking about cutting sleeves for it as cheaper than NOS or fleabay.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:27:45 am by fiddy of industry »