Author Topic: My First Bike  (Read 2334 times)

Offline YoungRider71

My First Bike
« on: November 07, 2011, 08:14:09 am »
  So I have recently picked up a 1974 CB750 and I am starting the rebuild.

First a little history. I decided on Monday October 25th that I wanted to re/build a bike of my own. So Tuesday morning I went on CL and searched for motorcycles under $1000. The second listing was for a 74 CB750 @ $600. I have been riding my fathers K4 for a few years and I knew this was the bike I wanted.  I called the owner and told him I wanted to pick the bike up asap. The PO had told me he had put the bike away 14 years ago and hadn't gotten it running since.  Got the bike home that night and with new oil and a little tweaking she started right up.

So now it was time for the demolition.  First I pulled the carbs off and cleaned and soaked and cleaned and soaked until I got as much of the 14 year old fuel out. the next step I went to was to pull motor out of the frame. It took a little bit of convincing but I got it free. Time to give you all my first mistake I found. I thought I would be able to remove the engine and carry it to the work bench no problem, WRONG! I do not know how much that motor weighs in at but my back guessed about 225 lbs.  With some help, I got the motor onto the bench and started to take a look at the internals. Got the valve cover off and only had to drill out 2 screws that the PO had butchered up pretty well. Removal of the rocker arms and the cam was cake. Got down to the jugs and it looked like I had an ovalized cylinder... nope just the way the gasket was sitting.  I do not know what is the normal for the cylinder walls but I could see what i believe to be the OE hone marks. Pulled the jugs and inspected the pistons and they look almost new.  So this project is starting too look better and better every night I work on it.  I know I am going to have lots more questions as this progresses and I may be jumping a head of myself but; I was told by my Uncle (building and repairing his own bikes 45yrs) and Buddy ( Triumph Duccati mechanic) that its not worth it to split the cases unless something is broken. I would like to agree with them but I also would like to see the motor powder coated and think that the cases need to be off for that. Any feedback would be awesome.   

Thanks for reading!
74 CB750

mrjack55

Re: My First Bike
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 09:55:43 am »
Welcome to the forum, and the wonderfully heart breaking yet satisfying wold of old motorcycles.  There is plenty of good people and info here.  I think you'll like it.

I just split my cases, and let me tell you first hand, your friends are right.  ;)  I'm not sure I'll ever get this thing back together.  :-[

Have fun and post some pics when you have a chance.  We'd all love to see what you got for $600.

Offline YoungRider71

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 10:16:15 am »
the pic thing is funny, I  only remember the camera after I pull everything apart. i have some on the cell I will try and upload.
74 CB750

Offline immortal

• Enthusiast
    • 1976 CB750F "Pegasus bike"
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 10:51:17 am »
Awesome!. It took me about a year to complete my project in my spare time. I stripped it down to every nut and bolt. It was my first build and quite a challenge. With that said this forum will get you all the way through start to finish. Every problem you can imagine these guys have already been through numerous times over.

My bike for me was the most enjoyable and satisfying projects I have ever undertaken and without this forum I'm not sure I could of finished it on my own.

Take your time, plenty of patience and enjoy!..best of luck to you!
Sometimes...the hard thing and the right thing are the same thing!

1976 CB750F "Pegasus Bike"

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80492.0

Offline YoungRider71

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 04:45:41 am »
So, yesterday was my 24 hour weekly vacation which I had planned to spend working on the bike. Ended up fixing a friends car. But got some time in the evening to tinker around a bit.  I was able to remove the valves and really start cleaning. Went to the supermarket and got some rubbing alcohol and some scouring pads and away I went. A few hours later I had made some serious progress. I am thinking that now would be a good time to order a gasket set. I have read a bunch of different post about the best ones to get and think I'm gonna order the ..... I have no idea which ones to order... So as long as work isn't too busy today will be spent researching gasket sets.

A little off topic I think I am gonna wait until the build develops more to take pictures. We all know what a bike that hasn't run in 15 years looks like. So I will just say, a few dents in the gastank and a broken left side cover are about the only defects I found. Other then the god awful seat and sissy bar the bike looked good
74 CB750

Offline YoungRider71

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 09:33:08 am »
So, I am really lost on where to pick up a "complet" gasket set. I have been reading through the other posts on here and it seems that CycleX or Z1 will be my best choices. But I haven't seen an article that is less then a year old and don't know if their brands or service are the same as they used to.  Any help would be greatly apperciated
74 CB750

Offline hapakev

• Your Standard
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 12:59:20 pm »
When i first bought a gasket set from cycle x, it was an Emgo gasket set.  i would not be suprised if they have them make them and put them in "Cycle X" packaging.  I believe Emgo has been around for quite a while. 

Also, Pics are what keep folks coming back.  Would you read playboy with no pictures?  Just sayin'
Smoking Jack
1978 CB750F(ish)

"Keep moving forward, until you can no longer move" KP

Offline Ouch

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 01:12:10 pm »
Also, Pics are what keep folks coming back.  Would you read playboy with no pictures?  Just sayin'

;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline YoungRider71

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 01:52:45 pm »
So it looks like tonights plan it gonna be order some gaskets and pull out the camera.
74 CB750

mrjack55

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 06:24:12 pm »
So it looks like tonights plan it gonna be order some gaskets and pull out the camera.

Offline YoungRider71

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 06:15:26 am »
So I took some pictures of the motor and have no idea how to post them. I keep getting an error that my entry is too large (allllll right, gigity)  but I would like to share the photos and have no idea what to do to make this work. HELP
74 CB750

Offline knowsnothing

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 06:23:07 am »
Easiest way to post pics is open a free photobucket account.  Upload everything to it, then use the urls it provides.  I think there is a how to somewhere on here.  Do a quick search and i bet you will find it. 
1978 CB750k Green - 811 engine
1978 CB750k Blue - for sale
1974 CB375F Faded Black - had to have that 6th gear
1976 CB400F Red - in many pieces
1973 CB350F TBD - in many pieces

Offline YoungRider71

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 06:24:28 am »
Cool I will give that a try
74 CB750

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 06:24:41 am »
Open the pics in Photo Manager under Microsoft Office.

Resize to:  Web - Large (640 x 480 px) and save under a different file name.

Then try again.
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline YoungRider71

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 06:35:18 am »
I like the PhotoBucket idea. Here is a link

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g376/YoungRider71/
74 CB750

Offline Coyote13

• Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 07:18:57 am »
YOWZA! You really just jumped in there huh? (that's what she said)

Dig your style man, keep us updated
'78 CB750K.  Throttle ripper.
'71 CB100.  Grocery getter.
'01 XL883.  Panty dropper. Gone but not forgotten.

Offline knowsnothing

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 01:45:07 pm »
Nice work.  Once you have your account with the pics, all you have to do is copy the "IMG code"and post it and you will an image like so.

Tada
1978 CB750k Green - 811 engine
1978 CB750k Blue - for sale
1974 CB375F Faded Black - had to have that 6th gear
1976 CB400F Red - in many pieces
1973 CB350F TBD - in many pieces

Offline YoungRider71

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 02:44:00 pm »
thanks for the help and complemnts. Gonna do some more gasket removal this weekend hope to break out the power washer next week
74 CB750

mrjack55

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 02:58:29 pm »
Yeah, you really dove right in didn't you?  :o

Nice job cleaning things up.  What did the rest of it look like?

Offline YoungRider71

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 03:25:54 pm »
funny thing about the progress off the bike is that I gave self a time line of 18 months but I am moving pretty quick and it seems the motor will be the hardest part and it's moving along nicely. So maybe she will be ridable this winter.  The bike looks pretty good otherwise. Pics to come
74 CB750