Author Topic: Anti-Pod mod?  (Read 15399 times)

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
Re: Anti-Pod mod?
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2011, 07:53:08 am »
Wouldn't that make it unbalanced? Also decrease the overall torque and horsepower? Sounds cool in theory though
Yes, they're a bit unbalanced, but there are imbalances already due to the differences in temperature (inboard cyls will generally be hotter).

It would decrease peak torque (and therefore hp), but it would broaden/flatten the torque curve, which is desirable for some applications.
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline orkid1989

• Hot Shot
  • “Life is too important to be taken seriously.”
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2011, 08:05:28 am »
Wouldn't that make it unbalanced? Also decrease the overall torque and horsepower? Sounds cool in theory though
Yes, they're a bit unbalanced, but there are imbalances already due to the differences in temperature (inboard cyls will generally be hotter).

It would decrease peak torque (and therefore hp), but it would broaden/flatten the torque curve, which is desirable for some applications.
sounds cool.
“Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2011, 08:15:03 am »
Factory Pro sells this 35/70 mixed stack kit for use with the stock airbox on an SV650:

FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2011, 07:46:16 pm »
A lot of the CanAm cars ran slightly different length stacks (~15mm?) on the 427 Chevy engines.  The SV650 setup looks interesting Syscrush, however I wonder about its effectiveness.  From the picture it looks like one stack is shorter because of a height restriction caused by the stock air box.  Also there would appear to be about 30mm+ difference in length.  To me this would lead to a 'push me / pull me' situation between the 2 cylinders over the rpm range.

I would point out though, that the stock stacks used on the 550/4 are slightly different in length.  Both 1 & 4 are longer than 2 & 3, but only by about 5mm.  This would appear to have been done so that 1 & 4 could bend slightly inwards.  Thus keeping the stock plenum a bit narrower, and also providing clearence around the frame rails on each side.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2011, 03:12:30 pm »
A lot of the CanAm cars ran slightly different length stacks (~15mm?) on the 427 Chevy engines.  The SV650 setup looks interesting Syscrush, however I wonder about its effectiveness.  From the picture it looks like one stack is shorter because of a height restriction caused by the stock air box.  Also there would appear to be about 30mm+ difference in length.  To me this would lead to a 'push me / pull me' situation between the 2 cylinders over the rpm range.
They're 35mm different, and seem to do just what one would expect.  Here's a dyno for the mixed setup:

EDIT: Thanks to fang for pointing out that I had posted the same chart twice.  Here's the correct one...
And for the high-rev setup with 2 short stacks:

Anyhow, I'm not advocating for stacks this different, but looking at those 2 dynos it does seem to support the theory.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 04:25:58 am by Syscrush »

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2011, 09:20:25 pm »
Here are my stacks for the CR29 carbs

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2011, 07:15:37 pm »
Subscribed, thanks Mick! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2011, 07:28:54 pm »
No problemo..... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline orkid1989

• Hot Shot
  • “Life is too important to be taken seriously.”
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2011, 07:40:28 pm »
Thanks for the pictures and o apologize for so few updates. At the moment I am still waiting to hear back from my machinist
“Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2015, 03:01:04 pm »
Trying to revive an old thread.....................Regarding the stacks for RS34s............I found suitable stacks could be adapted from a Suzuki GSX750F Katanna  2000-2005 into the stock F2 airbox and believe they would fit the anti-pod filter.......... but you may need to trim the outer stacks for length.  I had to enlarge the holes in the airbox and mostly removed the inner filter plate to get air to the outer carbs...............

So did the mounting plate and filters become a reality?  I could be interested to try a set on my C.B.R. at Bonneville...........in 2016 ;)
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan