Author Topic: Cam chains  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Dave K

• Hot Shot
Cam chains
« on: November 17, 2011, 05:44:06 pm »
I often wondered what the high performance engines are using for more reliable cam chains. I know the one mechanic that was on the winning Daytona, Honda 750 team (Bob Jameson) and he related how they were just holding their breath for the race to finish as all the 750's were shedding their cam chains and cam sprockets. What is done now, to make them reliable for the long haul? It appears as if this cam problem didn't really exist on the stock engines unless they were quickly upgraded as my K3 has about 50,000 miles on it and has had no problems with the cam chain system.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:52:46 pm by Dave K »

Offline fang

• Hot Shot
    • Food Renegade
Re: Cam chains
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 07:13:12 pm »
As far as I know, the winning SOHC CB750 cam chain combo is:
(and you can buy most if not all of this stuff from APE, the sponsor of this performance forum LINK)

1) Tsubaki HD endless cam chain

2) M3 Racing cam chain tensioner/slider (replaces lower rollers) ( LINK)

3) modifying the tensioner or replacing with a manually adjustable one

4) possibly adding an adjustable top cam gear.

A well built CB750 motor should not have any cam chain problems at all.  Buying all these items new should cost around $285 with shipping

Cheers,
Fang
Download Nervous Norvus' "The Fang"  HERE.
Tired of eating CRAP!

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 05:06:26 am »
Dave, all the parts mentioned by Fang are more than up to the task.
The cam and associated problems that the factory CR750 suffered from was down to wild cams that were needed to make the power at high rpms.
I'm on my second motor fitted with the above equipment and both motors make more power at the crank than the factory bikes did.
The thing that I have going for me is my motors don't make their power as high up the rev band as the Factory CRs did. It was the wild cam timing that caused all the problems on the Daytona bikes.

Sam. ;)

C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Dave K

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 05:48:15 am »
Good, now I know. I just often wondered.

Offline kmb69

• Master
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 09:45:26 am »
The cam and associated problems that the factory CR750 suffered from was down to wild cams that were needed to make the power at high rpms.
I'm on my second motor fitted with the above equipment and both motors make more power at the crank than the factory bikes did.
The thing that I have going for me is my motors don't make their power as high up the rev band as the Factory CRs did. It was the wild cam timing that caused all the problems on the Daytona bikes.

Sam. ;)

More specifically, it is my understanding that the cam lift was too high causing the valve springs to coil bind. Keith

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 11:26:20 am »

Sam. ;)

More specifically, it is my understanding that the cam lift was too high causing the valve springs to coil bind. Keith
Gotta check stuff like that Keith. ;)
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline fang

• Hot Shot
    • Food Renegade
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 01:02:48 pm »
Download Nervous Norvus' "The Fang"  HERE.
Tired of eating CRAP!

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 12:38:13 pm »
M3 Racing has the chains, tensioners and all other parts to keep your new engine combo happy.

Mark @ M3
220...221, whatever it takes.