Author Topic: Zinc Plating - question and opinions sought  (Read 1974 times)

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
Zinc Plating - question and opinions sought
« on: December 06, 2011, 08:47:10 am »
Looking to get one of these so I can start plating my own nuts and bolts.    Seems like a good deal.

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/zinc.htm

I can't get the pdf to download so I can read the directions - so, I have a few questions for those smarter than me....

Is there anything else that you think I'd need for this to work ?    Stripper for the old zinc/cad finishes ?

There are photos of carb bodies....  dare I put one of my carb bodies in there ?
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
Re: Zinc Plating - question and opinions sought
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 09:04:36 am »
If you're doing small things like hardware, they work great!  I dunno about carb bodies, etc, but the nuts and bolts will look awesome when you're done.  Do yourself a favor though and pick up one of the eastwood or Harbor Freight tumblers to clean the hardware up.  Blasting tiny bits is terrible.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vibrator-tumbler-67617.html

http://www.eastwood.com/5-lb-vibratory-tumbler-kit-inc-2-bowls-and-media.html

To me personally, they look like the exact same unit, but HF's is cheaper!  They are a good prep for the plater.

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 09:34:12 am »
Saw your question re: the carb bodies. Poked around and found this, aluminum can be, which I think is basically what the carb bodies are, but...

Q: Can you give me a good procedure for plating zinc on aluminum? X. F.

A: Aluminum is an easy material to plate if you properly prepare the substrate. It is most important to remember that aluminum cannot be handled in the same manner as steel substrates. Aluminum can be zinc plated by first using a zincate process followed by either a cyanide or acid zinc plating solution. You cannot plate directly on aluminum-based materials. You can find additional information regarding plating on aluminum by doing a search on www.pfonline.com.

Is the PDF you are having trouble downloading the one on cleaning/buff?

We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 10:57:03 am »
I think the pdf contains the entire instruction booklet.   I want to get an idea of what else I would need.

I was under the impression that any old zinc coating would have to be removed first - either by blasting or some sort of acid dip/wash.

I like the idea of those tumblers - kinda been wanting one of those for a while now.   I'd definitely use it - actually starting to get some

much needed side work out of this hobby/addiction.  ;)
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline gonzobrian

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 04:12:28 pm »
I used a kit from Eastwood and was not super happy with the results.  The parts came out kinks chalky looking.  From what I learned you want the parts as clear as possible.   I used a parts tumbler then muric acid right before plating.  After plating I used another parts tumbler with walnut shells and autosol to polish.

Offline Ernest T

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 06:10:03 pm »
I think you're supposed to polish after you plate.