Author Topic: CB750 Prices this time of year  (Read 8307 times)

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
CB750 Prices this time of year
« on: December 17, 2011, 07:31:57 pm »
I am not to familiar with CB750 prices from the past, but one thing I thought would happen is the price dropping due to the winter season. Are the prices increasing now even in this economy? Or are they where they have been in past years? Could the steady prices of these bikes show us the appreciation value will continue to raise or will it rise, drop, then  stay steady?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 07:38:40 pm by Tews19 »
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline sandcastcb750

• Hot Shot
Re: CB750 Prices this time of year
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 08:57:22 pm »
The prices of cb750 (K0-8) are not affected by seasonal changes because they have achieved a collector status. Everybody more or less knows what they are worth.

The economy and demographics are more of an issue. The 40+ age of more affluent have decided to buy these bikes to go back in time, so they are desirable. The economy of 2000-2008 pushed the prices up. I am talking clean examples and not garbage.

Currently, the economy is questionable, There has been dumping of collectibles recently. Also, as the ages of people who are getting older and dying, the interest is dying too. How many people want a model T Ford anymore?

There were literally millions of cb750 built from 1969 to 1978. 7414 were sandcast. I had 4 in my garage at one time. So, even sandcast are not that rare as people would have you think.

Ultimately, the prices will go down except for exceptional original cb750s. Very few absolutely original cb750s exist. Buy if you want one, but realize the investment time was during the 1995 to 2006 era.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 09:00:31 pm »
Three words Nick-Condition-Condition Condition

Very nice good clean original machines will normally sell for very good money anytime. The mid and low end market is what gets hit the hardest as the hardcore collectors do not show the interest in those machines as much unless there are speculators and they will base their overall expenditure on what it may cost to be presentable and sellable.
  That being said though I think we can all see some very impressive money being paid for Cafe and other custom style machines right now,its a good fad to take advantage of right now while the market and bikes are available and strong.

EDIT- Have to say those Sandcast bikes don't pop up to often anymore-Glad you had 4,got some friends with them also but they and everybody else now knows what they may be worth unless you get very lucky like Greenjeans-down there in Texas----
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 09:06:13 pm by ekpent »

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 06:01:58 am »
Well lets see, last year i bought two complete HM300 sets including all hardware from DS in Britain for 1200 each. Today they are 2000 on their web site. Hard to believe the exchange has that much to do with it. Anyway my impression is that  sought after rare parts (those from older bikes that are essential for a rebuild) are priced way out of control. Bikes themselves however seem stable. I'd say be patient and a good deal will pop up. The time of year doesn't seem to affect the price, just the quantity. IOW no black Friday 750s.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 06:16:22 am »
The problem in Texas is you just don't see them for sale often, and when you do they are priced high and sell quick. I sold a K4 recently in 3 days, only because I saw a 550 I wanted.
The last 3 CB's I purchased were from the Midwest. There are deals out there but you have to buy "outside the box".
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 08:48:08 am »
The prices of cb750 (K0-8) are not affected by seasonal changes because they have achieved a collector status. Everybody more or less knows what they are worth.

The economy and demographics are more of an issue. The 40+ age of more affluent have decided to buy these bikes to go back in time, so they are desirable. The economy of 2000-2008 pushed the prices up. I am talking clean examples and not garbage.

Currently, the economy is questionable, There has been dumping of collectibles recently. Also, as the ages of people who are getting older and dying, the interest is dying too. How many people want a model T Ford anymore?

There were literally millions of cb750 built from 1969 to 1978. 7414 were sandcast. I had 4 in my garage at one time. So, even sandcast are not that rare as people would have you think.

Ultimately, the prices will go down except for exceptional original cb750s. Very few absolutely original cb750s exist. Buy if you want one, but realize the investment time was during the 1995 to 2006 era.

Your Model T reference is spot on. I am 30 and have no interest in a vehicle like that. They bore me even while watching Mecum Auctions on TV. I take it during the mid 90's one could still find plenty of 750's for cheap in relatively good condition? Or do you mean their demand was at the highest and the price was the most?

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 08:56:39 am »
In the nineties there was little interest in these bikes and could be had for a song.
We wanted new bikes with mag wheels and electronic ignition.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 09:43:38 am »
 The model T comparison is skewed but significant..in that it shows how age group eventually dies off.

The CB 750 can ride around the World.. so can a modeT, just takes 4 times as long.

Yes there was quite a long time thes bikes were worthless.. that is a dangerous time as folks tend to start scrapping stuff they have already hung on to a long time..  i can remember taking my K3 pipes to the dump, and thinking.. probably have to wait 15 years for them to be worth anything.. the 15 years is long over..

I had a 76 cop 750 with the single speedo headlight bucket, it ran, had stock pipes, rode it tgo sturgis and back..it was a slow slug.. had a hard time getting 400 for it, maybe got a bit less..  think the speedo is worth 200+ now..

Alot of things become nearly worthless, before they start climbing..it is a natural progression. My brothers unrusted 67 Firebird convertible with a 326 sat unsold for 800 bux for a long time.... try finding a core now..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 09:47:01 am »
Awesome points 754. Now that being said, I will continue my hunt for an early 750 and keep my 100% 78 550K in an unmolested form. Yep, thats right. I said 100%. I was able to get another set of chrome ears for it and will decide which ones to use once I clean up both pairs.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 10:06:59 am »
Tews, pack up a truck and go get this! It's a 650 but probably be had for $400...

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=99791.msg1099343;topicseen#new

There are still deals out there.

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 10:26:24 am »
Well if it's cyclical, I wonder if they will be worth much in ten years or so

Offline sandcastcb750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 10:38:43 am »
Tew, the nineties was the golden years of collecting 1960s and 1970s Hondas which I do not believe is coming back.

I bought alot of cb750s for less than $1000; K5s in really nice condition. K1s for $200 that just needed pipes.

In the 90s you could buy sandcasts for as little as $250. The problem was they needed $2000-6000 of NOS or excellent used parts to fix. People would canniblize 1970 diecast cb750s to get the parts and throw the rest away figuratively speaking. At $6000 you had a minimal risk since the guy in LA had set an unspoken value on running, decent sandcasts as $6000 in 1995.

The Cycle World article cause this excitement that wasn't there earlier. It also caused people to buy all the NOS parts Honda had. Parts were cheap too. I bet there are 10-20 times more restored CB750 K0s now then there were in 1990. I did frame ups myself. My sandcasts were original frame, engine and a few other parts. Hardly anybody found perfect complete bikes. Most are really put-togethers. I admit it.

You can't afford to restore a sandcast anymore. $50 tachometers are $1000 now. Any old Honda can not be restored either. Cosmetic parts are prohibitive to buy if you can find them.

If you are informed, you can tell a BS restored cb750. These are not going to be worth much. I remember a guy who stamped Honda Dream 150 frames and sold them as CB92s using NOS parts. I know there are at least 8 bogus CB92s out there that guys paid $8000 during the nineties. So if you must buy, buy good stuff.

People that have more money in these bikes than they can sell them for, are reluctant to sell now. They hope they will climb in price. When prices drop, the supply can drop too. Until all hope is lost about ever getting their money back.

My prediction is this; only perfect bikes will hold value, how much not sure. Museum quality stuff. CBXs 1979 with less than 5000 miles and ALL ORIGINAL for example. CB750 sandcast #1000999 and less VIN#s in perfect condition (#1000031 is in Frederick ,MD ).

I know this is outside what the forum usually talks about, but watch the developement of the debt crisis in Europe and USA. Money available will dicate prices. I have gotten great deals on Ebay recently. I asked aseller who sold me more stuff by email "Why are you selling you nice stuff from your collection?" He answered that he needed the cash. And, he sold me the stuff for LESS than he paid for it!

Always buy what you like, then it doesn't matter where the price goes, as long as you can afford it. It's enjoyment.

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 11:03:09 am »
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 11:28:25 am »
Tew, the nineties was the golden years of collecting 1960s and 1970s Hondas which I do not believe is coming back.

I bought alot of cb750s for less than $1000; K5s in really nice condition. K1s for $200 that just needed pipes.

In the 90s you could buy sandcasts for as little as $250. The problem was they needed $2000-6000 of NOS or excellent used parts to fix. People would canniblize 1970 diecast cb750s to get the parts and throw the rest away figuratively speaking. At $6000 you had a minimal risk since the guy in LA had set an unspoken value on running, decent sandcasts as $6000 in 1995.

The Cycle World article cause this excitement that wasn't there earlier. It also caused people to buy all the NOS parts Honda had. Parts were cheap too. I bet there are 10-20 times more restored CB750 K0s now then there were in 1990. I did frame ups myself. My sandcasts were original frame, engine and a few other parts. Hardly anybody found perfect complete bikes. Most are really put-togethers. I admit it.

You can't afford to restore a sandcast anymore. $50 tachometers are $1000 now. Any old Honda can not be restored either. Cosmetic parts are prohibitive to buy if you can find them.

If you are informed, you can tell a BS restored cb750. These are not going to be worth much. I remember a guy who stamped Honda Dream 150 frames and sold them as CB92s using NOS parts. I know there are at least 8 bogus CB92s out there that guys paid $8000 during the nineties. So if you must buy, buy good stuff.

People that have more money in these bikes than they can sell them for, are reluctant to sell now. They hope they will climb in price. When prices drop, the supply can drop too. Until all hope is lost about ever getting their money back.

My prediction is this; only perfect bikes will hold value, how much not sure. Museum quality stuff. CBXs 1979 with less than 5000 miles and ALL ORIGINAL for example. CB750 sandcast #1000999 and less VIN#s in perfect condition (#1000031 is in Frederick ,MD ).

I know this is outside what the forum usually talks about, but watch the developement of the debt crisis in Europe and USA. Money available will dicate prices. I have gotten great deals on Ebay recently. I asked aseller who sold me more stuff by email "Why are you selling you nice stuff from your collection?" He answered that he needed the cash. And, he sold me the stuff for LESS than he paid for it!

Always buy what you like, then it doesn't matter where the price goes, as long as you can afford it. It's enjoyment.

Thanks Sandcast. That is a perfect write up and just what I wanted answered. I have never bought a bike for the resale value, always what i liked or wanted. I was looking for some knowledgeable insight during different time period and thats what I got. I really appreciate it.

the more history I learn about these machines, the more I appreciate them.

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 11:28:55 am »
You're right. Doesn't matter what it's worth if you're not going to sell it - like your house. Just ride it and enjoy it - and upgrade from time to time.
I put my bikes together over the past 3-4 years so was likely on the peak of expense - oh well. I wouldn't attempt another one now after what the last restore cost.

There does still seem to be huge demand for these in Japan, Australia and the Netherlands.

Offline Rigid

• She likes a
  • Expert
  • Speak from personal experience, or don't
    • KingCustomCycles
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 11:46:32 am »
Has anyone priced a Model "T" here lately?  Just askin' the rat and hot rodders have them out of sight.  A CB750 is worth what someone will pay for it at any given time.  Buy locally, and sell on a worlwide market.  I have done well with that, by the grace of the Lord.
36 years of this stuff, here to help.

Offline sandcastcb750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 12:26:45 pm »
I just looked at stock restored Model Ts on Ebay; $8000-10000 tops. Probably cost somebody twice that to restore. Not too good for a 80-90 year old vehicle.

Oh yea, always buy a restored vehicle from somebody else, and let them take the beating on the investment.

Only reason that I didn't get screwed is that I got in early.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 12:44:03 pm »

I disagree with that idea.
Many young men are buying Honda CB750's because they CAN afford them and they cannot go buy a $7,000 dollar motorcycle.
The wealthy will always buy what they want ,new or vintage.
"The 40+ age of more affluent" Many people that are 40+ are not affluent. They usually do have credit and a job at that age though.
And many 40+ have served in the military and have a job or can get credit.

Most all of the young men now have not served in the military because they did NOT HAVE TOO.
So many of them may not have worked or earned any money .

If you have served in the military you have some work experience to build on.

All of the older motorcycles are getting more attention now because the parts were simple , a lot of parts still exist and are a reasonable price. No $600 black boxes or plastic panels.
$700-1500 dollar garbage can mufflers and $700 dollar foot rests.
The new bikes are extremely expensive to own and repair. Also the new bikes do not have steel frames that are rebuildable. They have cheap throw away aluminum frames that cannot be repaired easily and will not last as long. The aluminum frames make them easy to ship and easy  to recycle but lousy for lasting a long time or rebuilding 30 years later.

I think many people are waking up to the fact that the older motorcycles were a great value for the money and were built to last with good materials and were simple to repair for the guy at home.

We are in a depression and things of VALUE are taking center stage. IF it is well made ,simple to repair, easy to get more parts etc.,.

California really messed up years ago when it made the California Inventory TAX Law and many motorcycle and car parts were thrown away or the owners of the yards would get charged tax on all of the perts they had in stock.

Now many car and other parts are stored in warehouses in NEVADA then shipped into California as needed.

Of course that cost a lot of fuel and pollution. A stupid California law that should be changed.
Many people were just sick when all of those vintage car pars were thrown away.

Not that many people restore vintage cars and motorcycles. But it is a important industry.
It provides jobs, and brings in revenue.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 12:49:25 pm »
I just looked at stock restored Model Ts on Ebay; $8000-10000 tops. Probably cost somebody twice that to restore. Not too good for a 80-90 year old vehicle.

Oh yea, always buy a restored vehicle from somebody else, and let them take the beating on the investment.

Only reason that I didn't get screwed is that I got in early.

"Oh yea, always buy a restored vehicle from somebody else, and let them take the beating on the investment."

If you buy a $400.00 junked out bike and completely restore it, would you sell it for less than the price of all the new parts?

You might eat the labor and write it off as recreational time if you sell it, but not the cost of the parts.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 01:04:11 pm »
 Model T is to ratroders..like CB 160 is to Vintage racers..
 A created demand, that will drive pricing up..

I think a lot of the Ts may not have 10K into them but WOULD HAVE at todays prices..if you did one up today..
 Like cafe or chopper guys cutting up a K0 ..or K1, so it goes with the rodders.....
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 01:10:25 pm »
The thing is rat rods and vintage bikes provide a hobby and riding enjoyment and you can build it a little at a time as your budget allows.

It is also and investment and you will get some money back on it.
You do not lose ALL the money.

Also if you are a Dad your son can learn something about how to fix things, How to properly paint small items etc.,. Learn safety in a shop and how to use tools.
Many benefits. Keeps kids away from "grand theft auto"

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 01:28:12 pm »
Funny this thread is going on, as I have been thinking lately about selling my K1.

I'm very satisfied with it, I paid about 1.200 euro seven years ago, and have spent not much, having just replaced rotten rubber parts. The thing is that I bought a Seven Fifty -the european equivalent to your Nighthawk- for 2.500 euro couple years ago.

In theory, the Seven Fifty is worth double. But the Four can go for 8.000 euro now. That thing makes me nervous when I take it out for a spin, with the feeling that if I drop it, it is going to cost me high. I don't enjoy with it as I used to do, and I enjoy much more with the Seven Fifty, which has better brakes, more power..... and is not appreciated as much as the Four in case I drop it.

I know there is a term for this but I can't recall it now; it is like when you have kept a bottle of wine for years, and suddenly that year becomes appreciated and your bottle is worth big money. Then you are stuck because it is too costly to drink it yourself - you wouldn't buy one for that money if you didn't have it in first place- but you don't sell it thinking it will appreciate with time.

So I think the same with my CB750, maybe it is time to let somebody else have it now that it has become too appreciated. Then I think about what could I do with the 9.000 euro and come to think of a new bike, a Sportster, a Bonneville, or something like that, but then I think: what's the point? anybody can have a new sportster or bonneville. Not everybody can have a pristine K1. I do. So selling it for that price is just like swapping it for a new bike....

In the other hand, I think I got it for 1.200 euro, and that's what is worth to me, regardless of how much somebody else is paying. So I also think about keeping it and riding the hell out of it...

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2011, 01:44:44 pm »
 RIDE it like you only got 1200 into it, and its paid for

Ride the helloutait, and fix however you can if you drop it..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline sandcastcb750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2011, 02:10:48 pm »
The value of the parts are more than the whole bike.

Lucky is correct. I would not sell the bike for less than the parts. Two options;

1) Never sell it. Wait until I die and let my relatives dump it for cheap money. They won't give two sh#ts for it.

2) Strip the bike down and sell all the parts separately.

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2011, 02:44:23 pm »
Tews,
I don't see how the market is that great here in the states especially on the east coast.  You can reguallyr find nice bikes for cheap.  This one is for sale in Rochester NY.  Beautiful paint on tank w matching side cover for $1000.
The market for resale is just not here.  Maybe in New Zealand, Australia, and Japan here no so much.

1975 Honda CB750 - $1000 (Brighton)