Author Topic: the latest Brian (bear) news.  (Read 49031 times)

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Re: bad news people
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 05:54:49 pm »
It just seems the easier option RAF as lots of people use Paypal.

Sam. :-\
I don't use paypal, so it's difficult for me to transfer funds over-seas. 

David, good tip about the "gift" clause. The last time I looked into paypal, they charged a pound and a half of flesh for international transfers? Do you have a paypal account? If so, could I send you a check and have you transfer the funds?

Maybe someone can get in touch with Mrs. Bear, and see what would work best for them?

Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 06:06:54 pm »
Scottly, yeah I could do that for you... PM me or email me if you need my address.

David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 06:14:49 pm »
Thanks David!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 10:58:45 pm »
G'Day Guys, I've just returned from visiting Brian at the Austin hospital's spinal unit, Ward 3 North. As you could imagine, I was a little trepiditious as I had no idea what to expect, and never having met Brian before wasn't sure whether he'd be in any mood to be visited by a stranger, but all my fears were in vain, Brian welcomed me and I had a great time talking to him and his mate Peter, (another old bike racer) and Brian's lovely wife Evelyn.

As you can see in the pic, Brian is still in a pretty bad way, I displayed my stupidity/insensitivity by asking him if he was going to be able to walk again, and he told me that at the moment he doesn't know, he can't wiggle his toes but he can feel it if someone touches his toes, so that's a good sign. Peter told me that Brian had died and been revived twice , and no-one had really expected him to survive.

I was totally in awe of Brian, he spoke "matter of factually" and didn't avoid any questions that I probably shouldn't have asked him. Evelyn showed him the pictures of his crash for the first time while I was there, and I looked at his face while he was looking at them, and he didn't show any real emotion at all, apart from basically talking us all through what happened as we looked at the pics. From what I can understand he rode up a concrete verge on the edge of the track, the outfit became slightly airborne, then the nose dipped down and the whole thing somersaulted.

The series of pics were horrific to me, as the bike went over, Paul, the swinger, was thrown clear, but Brian pretty much stayed inside it as it landed on him, and there were a couple of pics of the outfit slamming into Brian as they were propelled forwards into a wall. Next time I visit Brian I'll ask Evelyn if she'll email them to me so I can post them here.

Anyway, Brian will be in hospital here for at least another month until they move him closer to his home near Leeton, but has access to email, so I'm sure he'd appreciate some emails from you all, (I don't have it at hand, but if you check his profile, it should be there) just don't expect quick replies, as he's only got limited use of his arms and hands, and he's a bit drowsy with all the drugs they're pumping into him. He said to say thanks to everyone here, and was surprised when I told him that that so many people from all around the world were so concerned about him.

My visit to the spinal unit really brought home the reality what can be the outcome of a serious bike crash, Brian's room had two or three other patients with similar injuries, and I have to say I was shocked when I saw these poor folks strapped into their specially made chairs, staring into space, and suffering quietly. I'm riding my Triumph 200 miles to visit my parents for Christmas tomorrow, and after my experience today I'm going to be extra careful. I hope everyone here will be just as careful over the holidays, we're all vaguely aware of the dangers of riding motorcycles, but today my focus on what could happen was seriously sharpened. Take it easy out there guys, Brian's a fighter and will get thru this, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Cheers, Terry. ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 11:11:16 pm »
Thanks for the update Terry, its good to see Brian is handling things well. A good state of mind will go a long way to his recovery....
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2011, 11:14:01 pm »
+1 on that Terry, thanks for taking the trip to visit Brian. Much appreciated.
Sure will drop him a mail. and yes this 'events' put one back to reality.

Cheers mate,

Rob
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2011, 12:46:26 am »
Thanks for doing that Terry.
It means a hell of a lot to many of us.
Reading what you wrote and seeing Brian has really driven the reality home hard.

Brian is a good man and he'll come through all this one way or another with the support that he is well deserving of.

And you're a bloody good bloke too Terry.  ;)
Thanks again mate.

If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2011, 04:05:25 am »
All the best to Brian for sure. It sounds like he has good people's support, can't beat that either.

It had to be tough on you to visit on our behalf Terry, thank you.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 05:15:25 am by bwaller »

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2011, 04:16:16 am »
If you designate the money as a gift and use you bank account or debit card there are no fees for sender or receiver.  If you use a credit card then paypal will want their pound of flesh from someone and they will give the sender the option to accept/pay the fee rather than it be passed to the receiver.

Hi David, I contacted Paypal. Seems I didn't quite get the jist of what you posted above.
Anyone sending money, use your debit card and mark it as a gift and there will be no monies deducted from your donation.
Only a few people have contacted me with regards to sending money, let's get the show on the road and show what Christmas is REALLY all about.

Warm wishes to all.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2011, 05:13:27 am »
Thanks for the report and picture Terry, you're a top bloke despite what people say about you. ;D ;D ;D ;D
While in a light hearted mood, the old bast**d in the photo looks healthier than me ;D ;D ;D ;D continue to improve Brian, we're all pulling for you. ;)

Sam. ;)

P.S. we have a few VERY BIG HEARTED members in here, Keep it up people.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline wardenerd

• Expert
  • '77 550F '81 650C
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2011, 05:23:23 am »
Sam, Kim Il  looks better than you.

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2011, 08:35:04 am »
Just to reiterate, anyone interested in helping Brian out with a donation. Sam has asked that if you do wish to donate, use "Gift" and convert to British pounds. Thanks to all in advance.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 02:09:43 am by SamCB750A »
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2011, 08:56:16 am »
Thanks Bob, only a few givers up to now but WOW :o what good hearted people. 8) 8) 8) you know who you are. ;) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2011, 09:04:48 am »
 Terry thanks for making the trip an posing an Accurate report.. usually  when this happens it gets blurred seperating truth from rumours

Bear is showing a good attitude and is in good sprits, essential components of getting thru an injury like this, it makes a huge difference in the healing process..
 Best Wishes going out to him and his family and friends in this tough time..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2011, 09:15:21 am »
Scottly, yeah I could do that for you... PM me or email me if you need my address.

David

CA95, a man after my own heart David. ;) Love those old Benlys. ;D ;D ;D ;D
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2011, 09:59:22 am »
Thanks for the update, Terry.

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2011, 01:08:59 pm »
Bad news and prognosis for the BEAR.........Its good that he is breathing on his own and mentally fit. Our prayers are sent...............thanks Sam and Terry for keeping us informed.

The Isle of Mann has walls and posts along the streets..............but a bumper along the edge of a race course?!!!   
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2011, 02:27:01 pm »
Thanks guys, I know that I tend to "waffle on" a bit, but the trip to visit Brian in the spinal unit really was a humbling experience for me, and something that I don't think I'll ever forget. I love SOHC4's, and I'm totally in awe of the guys here who have the courage, determination and ability to make them go faster, and the balls to then ride them at 10/10ths.

Just listening to Brian and his mate Peter talking about their racing experiences was fascinating for me, and there was no hint of Brian feeling sorry for himself, but rather, he's looking forward to getting himself out of the hospital so he can organise another rider for his outfit, which apparently survived the crash reasonably well. 

While I'm only a "wannabe", I know that racing is an unforgiving sport, and regardless of how well you prepare yourself, shiit happens, and the outcome of an "off" is totally in the hands of the gods. Things are a little bit different out on the road, while we can't be in control of our fellow road users, we can do our best to minimise the risk by wearing good riding gear and riding as safely and as courteously as we can, while still enjoying the ride.

Be safe out there guys, I know that Christmas is an expensive time for all of us, but if you can spare a few bucks to sling Brian's way please do so. I've no idea what his financial situation is, but I'm guessing that it's not real good at the moment, so every little bit will help, for sure. Cheers, Terry. ;D 
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2011, 04:01:30 pm »
Just got back from the pub as pissed as fart, I just wish Brian could be with me, well said Terry.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2011, 05:08:16 pm »
Well said Terry.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2011, 01:01:51 am »
I just got in at work and was totally blown away by your donations that had come in over night.
Donations have been coming in from people I have never heard of. I might know you by your forum user name but who ever you are, on behalf of Brian, a REALLY big thank you.

When the silly old fart pranged his sidecar, three times he tried to get up stairs but God wasn't ready for him. When your time comes, I'm sure he will welcome you with open arms. God bless you all. 8) 8) 8)

Sam. :)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2011, 01:59:00 am »
Yikes nasty crash and horrific injuries, they certianly make them Ockers out of tough stuff! ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2011, 02:00:21 am »
And a big THANKYOU has to go out to you as well Sam for initiating and coodinating this response.

This is a fine example set by everyone involved, and an example to be proud of, no matter how big or how small the involvement.

It once again proves that good, positive things can be achieved when everybody willingly works together as a team.
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline voodooracer

• Enthusiast
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2011, 03:46:19 am »
 Prayers and best wishes for Bear and family from South Carolina, USA.
 Keith LeBlanc

Offline Toxic

• Expert
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2011, 04:09:14 am »
Donation sent, you guys got to check out the link of Brian racing. Very impressive.

Warm wishes from Canada