Author Topic: 73' CB750 complete rebuild, DONE! just in time to be moving to KODIAK ALASKA!!!  (Read 34934 times)

Offline USCG_C130

• Enthusiast
Re: 73' CB750 complete rebuild (noobie)
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2012, 02:04:31 pm »
OKAY!!! well finally after a month or 2 of neglect im back on the project, this weekend i got the motor all cleaned and prepped, plus primed  (x2 coats) and a good solid top coat done, so here is a few pictures its just a quick mock up of the case and bits plus the top end separate, and in case anyone is wondering i used the POR-15 engine enamel kit, the cleaner (marine clean) that they send with the kit is amazing stuff really cuts through grease and oil much better than powerpurple or dawn, both of which i used. I am really happy with the results, the only few mistakes are my doing, spraying a bit to heavy on the topcoat but nothing major just a run or 2, in the pictures youll see what i left polished, and i still have some more work to do on most of the aluminum, and also i will be doing all the fins with a ground edge to make them silver, i think it needs something to break up all the black, i started a few pieces to see how it will look and i think it will really stand out. So once i get all the fins ground and the  few little holidays hit up with a brush and paint, i will be moving onto the top end rebuild!! so heres the pictures let me know what you guys think and if you have any suggestions!

Offline mgmt1234

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2012, 11:15:12 am »
that looks really good, it makes me want to go back and paint the lower half of my motor.
cb 550
Ducati monster 696

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2012, 01:58:19 pm »
does anyone have any input on the cylinder wall that has the  burnt or dissimilar spots on it i am not sure what the cause could be or what to do about it? does it need to be replaced?

Former jet engine mechanic on C-130's.

If you run your finger or nail up the cylinder wall and it is not smooth all the way to the top and you feel a step or ridge right near the top, then the cylinders need to be rebored and honed with new pistons and rings.
That ridge is caused by the momentary stopping of the piston at the top of its travel and then going back downward. If you just put in new piston ring they can hit that ridge and break.

Online grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2012, 04:19:31 pm »
I like how you ground the edges of the cylinder fins,it gives it a very clean detail High Performance look to me.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline USCG_C130

• Enthusiast
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2012, 05:33:44 pm »
thanks guys for the thoughts! im pretty happy so  far after getting damn near everything ground to my liking i couldn't resist  mocking up the whole engine just to see what it'll look like, and i love it the aluminum needs a little more polishing time, which im completely over doing but itll get done! so heres the engine set up a few paint touch up and on tot he rebuild!

Online grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2012, 09:19:32 pm »
Nice Work..I particularly like oil filter cover, I've never seen one look so Good  8).The ground edges against the Black engine gives the look of the engine assembly more depth & clear definition to make her Really stand out as a one of a kind creation all you're own.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline USCG_C130

• Enthusiast
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 02:05:52 pm »
alright this weekend i got a little bit of sand blasting and painting don't, i used the rattlecan POR blackcote for the triple tree and swing arm and a few other pieces, overall it came out well, again a few runs mostly due to my own fault, but they are all for the most part on the bottom of the swing arm out of sight so no biggie, the stuff cures super fast in the florida humidity so i got the wife her parking spot in the garage back that night! Today i got my "Allballs" steering bearings in and am excited to get the front end together, but my next  projects will be new bushings in the swing arm and getting the top end rebuild of the motor which i am a little nervous about so please any advice is welcome and any links to good threads on rebuilding the motor (top end) i have all the new o-rings and gaskets, oil seals, piston rings, and everything else including and engine hardware kit with all stainless hex head bolts, i know i wont be using it all but its better to have and not use then to not have when you need it! same motto goes for my guns! on and i also have a seat on order compliment of 78whiteorbs (fellow forum member) and here is his seat

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=104254.msg1165944#msg1165944

it should be here within the next week! and on another note i have decided to just keep the stock oil tank, for ease and cost of the build, but i already cut all the tabs off so i will be fabricating some new ons and getting to put my new Hobart 190 Mig to some use. heres some new pictures and again any advice on sing arm bushings and top end rebuild is more than welcome

Offline USCG_C130

• Enthusiast
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 04:26:27 pm »
so i got home today and after weeks of fiddling i finally got my MC apart that  snap ring was a B!&@% but some "aerokroil" and a propane torch got it loose but as i was trying to get it all out it seems the piston snapped in half and i had to pound it out from the other end and heres a few pictures, is this body still reusable with a whole new rebuild kit? would you guys use it or just pony up and buy a whole new one with i really don't want to do..  i know from the pictures its really hard to tell  so don't knock me to much on those

also i got all my pistons re-ringed and  back on their rods, another fun time with C clips, valves lapped and put back together except one, because the cyclex kit i bought was missing that tiny spring retainer for the top on my valve stem seals, so i called today and they were super night and said they would mail me one today, so once i get that i can get the last valve put back together and leak check it! which i am hoping holds up! also i decided to no be a cheap bastard and also put the extra money into all new cam rollers and guide and bronze swing arm bushings, i would really like to get the hondaman rebuild but that will have to wait till i actually get the bike ridable and save up a little more cash

Offline wshipley

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2012, 10:15:14 pm »
The project looks good.  I am glad to see a fellow Coastie here working on a CB, I am working on a 1976 CB550 myself.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=70945.0

Offline knowsnothing

• Hot Shot
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2012, 06:23:43 am »
The master should be reusable as long as it wasn't scored too badly when you pounded out the piston.  If it is scored, it will leak.  I am pretty sure they sell really small dingleberry hones for getting into that space. 

Also, you can get an new aftermarket master for a little more than what it costs to get a honda rebuild kit.  I guess it depends how close to original you want to stay.  I have rebuilt one in the past and will probably just buy a new for the bike i am currently working.  This is what i will probably go with http://slingshot-cycles.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53&products_id=91  (he is a member on here and makes quality brake lines)
1978 CB750k Green - 811 engine
1978 CB750k Blue - for sale
1974 CB375F Faded Black - had to have that 6th gear
1976 CB400F Red - in many pieces
1973 CB350F TBD - in many pieces

Offline USCG_C130

• Enthusiast
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2012, 06:41:54 am »
hey guys thanks for the input and  yea its nice to meet a fellow coastie on here , what rate are you? and i like the red on your motor, what kinda of paint did you use for it? and yea have noticed that for not much more money i could just buy brand-new and i guess its probably the easier way and better than buying a rebuild kit and realizing  that it still leaks and still having to buy a new one. so as im learning sometimes it just pays to spend the little extra money up front and do it right the first time. thanks for the input

Offline knowsnothing

• Hot Shot
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2012, 07:18:58 am »
Yeah, i would just be worried that something was damaged since it took so much force to get the piston out, but you never know.  Are you a gambling man?  ;D

1978 CB750k Green - 811 engine
1978 CB750k Blue - for sale
1974 CB375F Faded Black - had to have that 6th gear
1976 CB400F Red - in many pieces
1973 CB350F TBD - in many pieces

Offline wshipley

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2012, 08:25:09 am »
hey guys thanks for the input and  yea its nice to meet a fellow coastie on here , what rate are you? and i like the red on your motor

I was a QM then they called me a BM now I am an OS1 still waiting on chief.  I did like the red and black but the paint kept chipping too easily.  I was using the engine paint from Pep Boys.

Offline USCG_C130

• Enthusiast
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2012, 03:09:39 pm »
well i have been slacking pretty bad over the past few months but am ready to get back working and wanting to get the carbs rebuilt and i have new spoke ready to get laced up and the engine is all back together so wish me luck, the Coast guard has been keeping me busy, not to mention laying 1000 sq ft of hard woods in the house

Offline iron_worker

• Master
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2012, 09:43:57 am »
Just found this build. Really starting to come together nicely. I'm excited to start sending my parts for powder coat and such.

I had a question for you though ... on the little instrument light cluster ... how did you get that panel off? Is it glued in there or?

IW

Offline USCG_C130

• Enthusiast
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2012, 04:29:49 pm »
hey iron worker sorry its taken me a little bit to get back to you i just finished a 10 week school today and havent been on here in a while but yes it was just glued on and all the lights popped right out i  am hoping to put a few toggle switched in there but i will figure that out when i  get to the electrics but thanks for the words and i hope i can help.

Offline USCG_C130

• Enthusiast
Re: 73' CB750 complete rebuild (noobie) tail hoop finally on!
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2012, 01:19:59 pm »
okay well got the tail hoop welded on and the old seat hinges removed not to do a little final grinding and sanding and find a powder coater/ sand blaster for the frame

Offline Garystratos201

• I have never been a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2013, 06:18:48 am »
Nice work..........
Visit my build project;
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=111620.0

Current ride; Bass boat.... 2005 Ranger 521VX,250 hp Mercury Verado, super charged and direct fuel injected. Not a bass on the lake can out run me !!!

Offline USCG_C130

• Enthusiast
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2013, 03:25:24 pm »
well i have an update finally the frame is done and blasted and painted, although the paint id dry but not hardened which i am in the midst of working out with POR-15 so in the mean time i figured i would get the new tapered steering bearing put in which was easier than i expected compliments of all balls. so ass you can see i decided to go with a silver frame and  black accents as the swing arm and motor mounts and triple tree and oil tank. i think it will look good together. also the engine is back together and ready for the fame if i can figure out the deal with the frame, hoping i dont have to blast this paint off, which if i do i am just going to get it powder coated and fork up the money but as the paint drys, now for the 5th day!! i just wait!!!

Offline iron_worker

• Master
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2013, 01:45:18 pm »
Silver frame ... bling!

IW

Offline cheftuskey121

• Super Newbie
  • Expert
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2013, 04:56:55 pm »
Silver frame ... bling!

IW

agreed. hot stuff man, like the direction you're headed with color scheme! great work so far

Offline USCG_C130

• Enthusiast
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2013, 08:52:39 am »
thanks guys appreciate the good words, man if only that frame would dry rock solid i could make some progress and cheftuskey i have also been following your build recently and its looking awesome, that penny trick had me laughing

Offline USCG_C130

• Enthusiast
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2013, 02:41:04 pm »
finally some noticeable progress on the bike, im over the perfection state of mind i just want to get this baby on the road and riding!! we've got perfect weather down here right now too!

Offline Vinhead1957

• Expert
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2013, 03:02:13 pm »
You must be in Florida!  From what you say and the drawer label on your toolbox.   We still have months to wait here in New England

Offline USCG_C130

• Enthusiast
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2013, 03:05:30 pm »
vinhead you would be correct! every day is like 65-75 and mostly sunny here i still have one to ride at least, but i really want to get the CB rippin around.