Author Topic: GORDON'S FRAME KIT SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED!!!!! PICS  (Read 23930 times)

Offline hevykevy420

• Enthusiast
GORDON'S FRAME KIT SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED!!!!! PICS
« on: April 06, 2007, 04:30:56 pm »
Hi everyone, I just wanted to share pics of the frame kit I had installed that Gordon designed and helped fabricate with the help of  his good friend and machinist Charles.  I can't take any credit for the installation, all I did was follow Gordon's copious instructions, and cut the frame rails with a hacksaw (crooked too  :-[).  I had the kit installed/welded by a local fabricator here in Austin that works on building a lot of custom roll cages for cars that was recommended by my BMW mechanic.  This kit was top notch, and will allow me to remove the entire top end while leaving the bottom end in the frame.  No more #$%*ing from the Mrs., you know like, "Its sooo heavy...my back hurts...I hate getting grease on my dress...waaa waa waa!", none of that $hit any more!

Just want to give a big thanks to Gordon for helping me with this engine rebuild, sending me last minute parts, and making this sweet kit without charging more than cost!!  Thanks for all your help and advice Gordon.

All Ready to chop:

1978 CB750K - 836 Wiseco kit, 4-1 Kerker Exhaust, Web cam (63b grind), HD valve springs, polished stuff.  Comfortable.

1975 BMW R90/6 - tight

2002 RC51 - Jardine slip ons.  Uncomfortable.

Austin, TX

Offline hevykevy420

• Enthusiast
Re: GORDON'S FRAME KIT SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED!!!!! PICS
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 04:33:18 pm »
Post chop...rebuilding engine...using the HD studs this time, no shortcuts here...LOOK AT ALL THAT ROOM TO WORK IN THERE  ;D :D ;) :)

1978 CB750K - 836 Wiseco kit, 4-1 Kerker Exhaust, Web cam (63b grind), HD valve springs, polished stuff.  Comfortable.

1975 BMW R90/6 - tight

Austin, TX

Offline hevykevy420

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 04:34:04 pm »
Now she's all back together...

1975 BMW R90/6 - tight

Austin, TX

Offline hevykevy420

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 04:34:58 pm »

1975 BMW R90/6 - tight

Austin, TX

Offline hevykevy420

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 04:36:05 pm »
whoooeee, i likey this kit!!!!

1975 BMW R90/6 - tight

Austin, TX

Offline hevykevy420

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 04:38:08 pm »
THANKS GORDON!!!

SORRY FOR THE BAD PICS, I WILL NOT CONSIDER PHOTOGRAPHY AS POSSIBLE NEW CAREER!

1975 BMW R90/6 - tight

Austin, TX

Offline Jim F

• Need a bigger house for more toys
  • Master
  • go baby go
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 05:50:11 pm »
Is there anyway to modify the frame so that if you needed to pull off the valve cover

you dint need to chop it up again

or am I missing something in the pictures that I just cant see?

Jim
2002 RC51 1000 (SP2)
1983 GS1100EC Suzuki
2002 998 Dukati (Customers Bike)
1992 KTM500 2 stroke
1975 CB750/836 Honda
1978 GS750/840 Suzuki

Offline RRRToolSolutions

• Expert
  • I love old Japanese bikes!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 06:13:16 pm »
Kevin, I'm very, very pleased that you're pleased!! Yours is the first I've seen done other than mine (prototype) and man, he did us both proud with the welding and fitting. Really nice Kevin. Any top end work will be a few bolts away from now on.

Thanks for the kind words - now quit!! I've only lost about $300 so far - can't stand much more...

I've enjoyed the challenge and am looking forward to seeing some of these other kits installed. Mike, Jerry, Fred, Seaweb, Terry, Ted x 2 ?

Regards,
gordon

;D ;D ;D ;D

Kaws, Hondas, Yamahas, and Suzukis - especially Kaws

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 06:49:01 pm »
"or am I missing something in the pictures that I just cant see?"

Yes. You just undo the bolts and the lower frame section is removable and allows easy top end work. Hopefull with the bolts tight the kit is as strong and stiff as the unmodified frame!

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 08:07:27 pm »
The kit looks good.I don't know if I will put mine in my current bike or wait till I get another one to project but either way...it isn't going to happen right away. Just outa curiosity....what did that shop charge you to weld it all up Kevin? That would give me something to base it on when I get around to doing mine. My bike is running good now but I would sure like to pull the valve cover for a polish job.
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline hevykevy420

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 10:28:21 pm »
Thanks for the kind words - now quit!! I've only lost about $300 so far - can't stand much more...

I should rephrase...Thanks for providing these kits BELOW cost!!!!!  Somebody deserves a beer-o-gram!

Glad you like the finished product.  I plan to re-spray with gloss black the sections that the fabricator touched up.  That should finish it off.

1975 BMW R90/6 - tight

Austin, TX

Offline hevykevy420

• Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 10:41:59 pm »
The kit looks good.I don't know if I will put mine in my current bike or wait till I get another one to project but either way...it isn't going to happen right away. Just outa curiosity....what did that shop charge you to weld it all up Kevin? That would give me something to base it on when I get around to doing mine. My bike is running good now but I would sure like to pull the valve cover for a polish job.

It was $525 cash.  The fabricating/welding was $300.  That was the lion's share of the work.  The mechanic charged me 4 labor hours @ 50 per hour which was the remainder.  He had to remove the carbs/airbox/cables/tank/coil to provide access for the welding.  I wouldn't have needed to do this, but i drove the bike to his shop as I don't have a truck or a trailer (really need to get something to tow with).  He also did a bunch of prep work like grinding flush my crappy frame cuts, and fitting some of the pieces.  I know it was a high bill, but i'm glad I got the quality that I paid for!

If you have a trailer and a buddy who is a welder, I'm sure you could it for much cheaper.  Also, remove the parts yourself to avoid a labor charge.

1975 BMW R90/6 - tight

Austin, TX

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 11:15:10 pm »
Yes of course I will post some photos of my install. 
\
My concern is this, newest bike is an Import from the other side of the Country and is just a frame.  I have to figure out how to pass the reg/licence/test?  red tape to know when to do it. I would so prefer to do it while the frame is bare. I do realize I can do it with engine in, but I am doing so much polishing and painting on the motor that I don't want all the crap falling on the project.  :o

DereK

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 07:44:54 am »
"or am I missing something in the pictures that I just cant see?"

Yes. You just undo the bolts and the lower frame section is removable and allows easy top end work. Hopefull with the bolts tight the kit is as strong and stiff as the unmodified frame!
I haven't installed the kit but it is over engineered. It probably helps stiffen the frame. ;)
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Jim F

• Master
  • go baby go
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 09:57:51 am »
OK is this a kit that anyone can buy? If so then how can I get one

thanks
Jim
2002 RC51 1000 (SP2)
1983 GS1100EC Suzuki
1992 KTM500 2 stroke
1975 CB750/836 Honda
1978 GS750/840 Suzuki

Offline RRRToolSolutions

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2007, 11:54:34 am »
Jim, it's one of these--

Offline Jim F

• Master
  • go baby go
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 01:08:47 pm »
ok how much?

I want one

Jim
2002 RC51 1000 (SP2)
1983 GS1100EC Suzuki
1992 KTM500 2 stroke
1975 CB750/836 Honda
1978 GS750/840 Suzuki

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 01:32:04 pm »
Just picked up an early frame that has the side tubes missing. I figured it was junk but this might be just the thing I need to save it and use it. Are any still available?
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline RRRToolSolutions

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2007, 04:25:26 pm »
Guys, I've got bad, good, and then bad news.

1) I'm out of them at the moment

2) I have 5 more being made

3) The price is going up to $135 + shipping. I've been getting $135 including shipping, but that ain't been too bright.  :)

I've given some away, I've made several personal discounts, and I've eaten the shipping to Canada, Australlia, and all of the US ones I've sent using 3 day Priority so far to the tune of about $300. I'm happy with that because the objective in the beginning was to offer Charles a chance to make some side money and as promised here on this board - I'd make some for those who followed the project from it's beginning back in November. (Charles gets $120 for the metal and machining), (I get $15 for the grade 8 rod, cutting the rod, 6 nuts, 12 grade 8 bolts, assembly, packaging, driving to the machine shop, special ordering and picking up the pieces, going to the post-office, and the 3 day priority which at 4.5 lbs is $16 to California, and $12 anywhere else in the US. Canada is about the same, but they won't allow the 3 day up there) -- So I'm not covering shipping any more, but at the same time - I don't want a dime of personal profit. I'm pleased you guys are and my buddy Charles is happy that he's got small project work that he can do and make a little on when he's feeling up to doing it.

Regards,
Gordon

So....I want a big ole raise to cover shipping

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2007, 05:12:35 pm »
Guys, I've got bad, good, and then bad news.

1) I'm out of them at the moment

2) I have 5 more being made

3) The price is going up to $135 + shipping. I've been getting $135 including shipping, but that ain't been too bright.  :)

I've given some away, I've made several personal discounts, and I've eaten the shipping to Canada, Australlia, and all of the US ones I've sent using 3 day Priority so far to the tune of about $300. I'm happy with that because the objective in the beginning was to offer Charles a chance to make some side money and as promised here on this board - I'd make some for those who followed the project from it's beginning back in November. (Charles gets $120 for the metal and machining), (I get $15 for the grade 8 rod, cutting the rod, 6 nuts, 12 grade 8 bolts, assembly, packaging, driving to the machine shop, special ordering and picking up the pieces, going to the post-office, and the 3 day priority which at 4.5 lbs is $16 to California, and $12 anywhere else in the US. Canada is about the same, but they won't allow the 3 day up there) -- So I'm not covering shipping any more, but at the same time - I don't want a dime of personal profit. I'm pleased you guys are and my buddy Charles is happy that he's got small project work that he can do and make a little on when he's feeling up to doing it.

Regards,
Gordon

So....I want a big ole raise to cover shipping
Gordon
  It's a great kit...you don't need to justify the reasonable cost though it does does show your honesty and integrity. If people talk to you...as I have had the pleasure of... it comes through loud and clear. Nice to see a demand for the product.
  Mike
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Online Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2007, 10:30:32 pm »
All I have to say is - IT DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THESE LAST 2 GUYS whom I consider personal friends! Hope to meet you guys one day other than on the phone. Beers on me !!
Jerry
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline mcpuffett

• Master
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2007, 03:51:00 am »
Gordon, can you keep us posted when you have some more available , i would like to buy one to  :), cheers mick.
Honda CB750 KO 1970,   Honda VTX 1300 2006, Lancaster England.

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2007, 12:40:14 pm »
Being un-experienced on working on 750's(yet..) I was a bit lost for a minuite WHY on earth you would want drop rails in that area of the frame....
Until I read in other threads that to do top end work, you must pull the motor.
I don't see why this wasn't done stock at the factory!!

Those parts for your kit look EXCELENT!

Keep on it, It's great to see that you are making these.

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2007, 01:17:57 pm »

I don't see why this wasn't done stock at the factory!!

It's simple... Cost. :)

Rocking-M

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2007, 03:41:55 pm »
Put me on the list for a set towards the end of this riding season. About November around here.
I don't want it in the shop and tempting me to do it during riding season ;D