Author Topic: seat construction?  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Green550F

• Hot Shot
  • Nothing is as cool as that which you made.
seat construction?
« on: July 24, 2006, 07:00:17 pm »
any suggestions as what to use for padding?  I'm building up the seat for my cafe racer.

I've thought about sending it out, but i'd like to do it myself, even if it's not as nice... ::)
93 Kawasaki Voyager XII
70 Honda CL350 Cafe

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Re: seat construction?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 08:55:16 pm »
I went out and got a slightly-used newer seat from a used bike, tore off the cover, and carved the foam with a serrated bread knife to fit my butt (and my wife's...). Then I made a nice Naugahyde cover for it (those poor Naughas...), added 1/2" batting over everything and riveted the cover down onto a stock seat pan, so I could keep the keylock and such. That was 15 years ago, still looks and rides great! And, it fits just me (Aaahhh...)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
Re: seat construction?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 10:07:23 pm »
I just had my seat custom made at Corbin.I was there from 8am to 2pm and actually watched the guy form the padding.I thought it was pretty damn awsome!!! The thing about it that surprised me was that it took most of the time forming it.Once that was done (and to my satisfaction),it only took like 20 minutes to cover it.I didn't watch that part of the operation but was very pleased with the end result.They have an exellent resteraunt on the premises and give you a free meal pass while you're there waiting.I had no sooner finished my chili burger and fries and was told to come check out my seat.I had a $500 gift certificate and they told me it would probably come out to $550-$600 for a 2-up seat but that was with a handmade fiberglass pan. They determined that the pan they had in mind would'nt fit so they made it out of my stock pan.The price came out to just below $350 so I still have $150 credit with them! Anyone want to barter? (hint,hint...Terry..oil cooler?). I will try and get my POS camera to work and post some pics of it soon.
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......