Author Topic: Anyone rewire their front turn signals? - '74 CB550K  (Read 1405 times)

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
Anyone rewire their front turn signals? - '74 CB550K
« on: November 30, 2011, 09:22:28 pm »
My front turn signal stalks and ears aren't in the best of shape.
I picked up some CB350 units that were in better shape and presentable for a daily rider, I like the stock look, but they are single wire instead of dual wire.

So, in the process of discovering too late the difference I figured I could swap the guts from one to the other. Well, I was mistaken...the wires wouldn't come out of the stock CB550 stalks, in fact they broke.
The corrosion was pretty intense on the contacts in the housing so they had been leaking and moisture had done it's deed.  So, the stock ears for the headlight & turnsignal mount, a '74 CB550 feature, aren't great but they clean up OK for now. 
I picked up a wiring repair from the auto section "Help" parts at AutoZone today and figured I could replace the contacts and join to proper wires and maintain the bulb housing body and possibly the insulator that holds the contacts (I'll post some pictures as soon as I take them, tomorrow most likely.)
The bulb housing is in decent shape but the contacts I don't trust to clean up well enough.
It appears I can replace the bulb holder into the 350 housing (I did like the rubber mount system in the 350 lamps and they were in good shape...) but they will go for a stock mount that is hard mounted with just free air to cool the higher wattage bulb.

It's gonna be a bit of a cludge as I'm soldering the old bullet connectors from the stock wiring to a run of new wire that connects to the wire and terminals from the Help kit... not an ideal electrical path but some decent soldering and shrinkwrap should make it passable and weathertite.

I do plan to add a ground connection wire if I can fit a 3rd wire or I'll just put a ground wire on the retaining bolt to make sure I've got a solid ground for the turn signals as the turn signal stalks/ears are rubber isolated from the forks and all. Having a solid common ground up front would be a good thing I think. Figured I'd also run the ground into the headlight bucket and make sure it is well grounded...

The turn signal housings back are just slightly a different shape but, only a well-trained eye or someone who knows of the change will recognize it I think.

I'm doing a fork conversion next year I think and so the bike will have another iteration where I clean up and replace with better stuff.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow or Friday. So you can better understand my descriptions.

Please post if you've gone through this experience and can offer any suggestions or tips...

Thanks!

David

David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Xnavylfr

• Expert
  • Beers, Babes and bikes since 1965
Re: Anyone rewire their front turn signals? - '74 CB550K
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 03:51:39 pm »
All Hondas in the mid 70s had the same color codes for the wiring
http://www.satanicmechanic.org/wiringcodes.shtml

After you rewire the lights use a 12volt battery charger to test to make sure you have wired them correctly by hooking the - to the ground and then clip the + to 1 of the other wires. The brighter light is the turn signal, dimmer light is running light. I would check the junction where the lights plug in for power also before plugging in the lights. This can be done with a volt/ohm meter.
 This can drive you CRAZY if you have good power and wiringon the lights thenplug to the bike and they don't work. If you plug them in and the turn signals DON'T flasher/blink , you will have a BAD inline flasher.

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 10:02:58 pm »
Xnavylfr(CHUCK),

Thanks for the tips. Will watch for that.  Thanks for your service in the Navy!  What kind of jobs did you do while you were in the service? (Navy is huge on cross-training)

I didn't get a chance to take some photos of the signals tonight when I was working on the bike. I'll take some tomorrow when I have more time in the shop.

Carbs from my CX500 returned from a buddy who was helping me with them and I had to get those ready for mounting.  Also messed around with a CB550 brake caliper that had been reluctant to let go of the bleeder screw. Finally got it and then popped the piston and pad out with a grease gun...  It goes in the ultrasonic for a couple hours while I'm working tomorrow. Lots of aluminum oxidation but no real pitting that I can see, it was cruddy but the piston only had a line from the wiper/o-ring/plastic collar and some dulling from the oxidation of the aluminum.

Did pick up the wire today but, forgot some smaller heat-shrink for the wire...all I have is 1/4" and that probably will not shrink enough for 16ga wire.  16ga is a little heavy for the turn lights but that's what I could easily source, its a small town and I didn't want to run around to multiple places after work.

Thanks again Chuck...pictures coming...

David

Offline milk bone

• chop-it
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 05:35:28 am »
turn....signals......what?.     CHOP IT.

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 05:54:53 am »
Over my dead body would be how this bike would become a chopper.
Choppers don't handle mountain twisty roads well and that is the goal with this bike. Gforce corner junkie...

Offline Xnavylfr

• Expert
  • Beers, Babes and bikes since 1965
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 06:09:12 am »
WHAT?
Choppers don't handle twisties well? You must be riding with a different chopper growd than I do. Every year we meet in the mountains of NC near what is known as TAIL OF THE DRAGON on the Blueridge Parkway. The choppers go in to some turns a LOT hotter than I can on my GEEZERGIDE.
If ANY motorcycle is built PROPERLY, it will handle just as well as stock. This all rides on HOW BIG is the riders nads/cahones.

My main job in the Navy was Aviation Sheetmetal-Hydraulics,  but I earned my Air Warfare Wings, I had to know/have general working knowledge of EVERY Aviation Rate in the NAVY

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)