Author Topic: metalworking help please  (Read 865 times)

Offline eigenvector

• Master
  • Member of the despondent public
metalworking help please
« on: September 21, 2015, 11:11:02 am »
I'm trying to manufacture some connector nuts and am really having some problems drilling the stock.

Have aluminum bar stock, 3/4", and I need to drill a 12.5mm hole in the center.  Finding the center is no problem, that's an easy geometry problem, the problem I am having is clamping it securely enough in the drill press so that it doesn't wobble or more importantly deform while I'm drilling it.  The last thing I want to do is crush the hole because I have to exert so much force to keep a round bar securely mounted.
Rob
--------------------------------
2018 HD Softail Heritage
1979 CB750K Limited Edition
1977 CB550K
1984 CB700SC Nighthawk
1983 VF750S Sabre

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: metalworking help please
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 11:17:03 am »
Chuck it in a lathe, thats the best way. Short of that, you need to create some type of collet to "squeeze" the round stock while in a press. Maybe you have sufficient material that would allow you to flatten two sides so the rod can be held in a vise?
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline eigenvector

• Master
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 12:07:01 pm »
I tried grinding, was impressed by how difficult it was to grind aluminum.  Seemed like it wanted to foul the grinder wheel right away. 

Don't have a lathe, well I do - a wood lathe but the collet for that isn't large enough to accommodate 3/4" stock.  That said, a collet is most definitely the solution - just a matter of having one available for a drill press.

Do you think lining the vice with rubber - say from an inner tube, would provide enough friction to hold the stock tight.
Rob
2018 HD Softail Heritage
1977 CB550K
1984 CB700SC Nighthawk
1983 VF750S Sabre

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 12:08:11 pm »
Maybe some custom jaws? 

Could be two pieces of wood with a V-cut in the middle for aluminum.

Lathe is the best, as Cal says or use a lathe chuck under a drill press.

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 12:09:01 pm »
Something like this:

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 12:10:13 pm »
Are you trying to make an upper motor hangar spacer?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline eigenvector

• Master
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 12:33:51 pm »
No, it's not even for my CB550.  Need to manufacture bolt extenders for the shocks I have for another.  The shocks are aluminum, but they inexplicably used 14x1.25mm threads for the swingarm mounts.  Those threads are impossible to find - so I'm manufacturing my own.  I already have a test piece made - wasn't that difficult, just the hole was off-center.  But it was just a test piece.

Prokop - that's exactly what I need - can't believe I didn't think of that before.  I'll take a run down to a metalworking supply place and see if they have something workable.
Rob
2018 HD Softail Heritage
1977 CB550K
1984 CB700SC Nighthawk
1983 VF750S Sabre

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 02:46:33 pm »
So you're basically making an 18mm mounting boss and then going to screw a 14mm bolt into it? And the extension is part the shock will bear on? If so, I question your material choice. Unless the aluminum sleeve is supported all the way thru by a grade steel bolt, and is only to fit within the shock eye...? If so, why internally threaded?

Offline eigenvector

• Master
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 03:03:07 pm »
Well I'm not worried.  I don't have the time to relate all the details of the project, and I've been a structural engineer long enough to know the materials and what they can take.

I appreciate the help Prokop and Cal.
Rob
2018 HD Softail Heritage
1977 CB550K
1984 CB700SC Nighthawk
1983 VF750S Sabre

Offline Steve F

• I have "some-timer's disease" because I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • "To Ride Is The Reason, The Destination The Excuse
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 04:44:41 pm »
Well I'm not worried.  I don't have the time to relate all the details of the project, and I've been a structural engineer long enough to know the materials and what they can take.

I appreciate the help Prokop and Cal.
I see you're in Seattle?  Can you send me a detailed sketch with dimensions of what you're trying to make? Perhaps I can make them for you (as long as it's not a bunch of them, one or two is fine).  I've been a toolmaker most of my life and might be able to help.
Steve F

Offline eigenvector

• Master
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 01:45:47 pm »
I appreciate the offer Steve.  This is something that I feel like I have to do. 

I actually just finished.  Manufactured a V-block to hold the bar, then drilled it out.  Tapped it and that's that.  The dies haven't come in yet, so I haven't been able to create the bolt yet.  That will be trivial now that I have the V-block.

I don't think I'll be teaching machine shop anytime soon though ::) - at least I didn't burn myself, cut myself, or otherwise put my eye out.
Rob
2018 HD Softail Heritage
1977 CB550K
1984 CB700SC Nighthawk
1983 VF750S Sabre

Offline Steve F

• I have "some-timer's disease" because I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • "To Ride Is The Reason, The Destination The Excuse
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 02:53:30 pm »
Well, good to hear you're gaining on the project.  The offer still stands if you want.
Steve F