Author Topic: CB750 K1 project  (Read 49158 times)

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: CB750 K1 proje
« Reply #225 on: June 21, 2016, 06:58:17 am »
Can you elaborate on switching the head to a new frame? I have a similar problem with a 1969 frame that a po "modified" and would like to fix.
This is "technically" illegal in many US states. Though it is done and probably will not be detected or prosecuted by Law Enforcement. If you do swap necks, I strongly encourage you to destroy the "other" neck by cutting it into several pieces where it can no longer be used. This might alleviate anyone from ever detecting it having been swapped.

To install a neck on a frame is tedious, and needs special care. A frame jig of some type is recommended so the angles are correct. The tubing of the frame is pretty thin, so do take care welding it back. I would suggest welding bungs/plugs onto the neck, then inserting them into the stock frame tubes, then plug welding and seam welding the tube to the neck for best alignment and strength.

Dunk, Stev-o and many others go the Vermont Registration route. You can file for paperwork over the internet and receive a valid Registration from VT, then, use that paperwork to file for a new Title in your own home state.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
Re: CB750 K1 project
« Reply #226 on: June 21, 2016, 09:16:24 am »
You'd be better off swapping to a titled frame or a frame that can be titled, then swapping steering headstocks.  You are swapping the VIN on a vehicle.  No bueno.
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline lash

• Hot Shot
« Reply #227 on: June 21, 2016, 05:12:33 pm »
The frame I want to fix is titled, the donor frame is not. I will take some pics next week and maybe start a thread on it for ideas..
Analog mind in a digital world..

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #228 on: June 21, 2016, 05:37:16 pm »
The problem with chopping the steering head off a K0 frame to attach to a non-K0 frame is that there are subtle differences on a K0 frame that are not easy to replicate on later model CB750 frames, and whoever buys your K0 down the track will be less than happy if he finds out that his newly purchased K0 is a "Frankenbike".

When I was desperate to build my K0 I couldn't find a K0 frame here in Oz, so I bought a K0 neck from a member here to graft into a K1 frame (the closest match I could find to a K0 frame) but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Luckily I've recently bought a 1969 K0 frame and engine from another Aussie member, and while that frame has been messed with too, I'll graft the bits I need from one of my spare frames that won't affect the original frame's integrity, either physically, or morally. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline lash

• Hot Shot
« Reply #229 on: June 21, 2016, 06:25:42 pm »
I,m all for trying to fix the original frame ,just not sure how to do it. Need to graft in some pieces and cut some others. I will start a thread and see what the forum has to say.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #230 on: June 21, 2016, 07:02:18 pm »
I,m all for trying to fix the original frame ,just not sure how to do it. Need to graft in some pieces and cut some others. I will start a thread and see what the forum has to say.

Yep, start a thread and post pics of what you've got mate, there are plenty of K0 guys here who can help. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Dunk

• Expert
« Reply #231 on: June 26, 2016, 05:02:24 am »
I don't believe what we are discussing is illegal. What is the "bike" so far as the government is concerned? The headstock, it is the only part with a VIN and is a significant and critical part of the frame rather than just a small piece with a stamping. You have two bare frames, one with a clear title in your name but is damaged (bent, rust, etc.), another which is in good usable condition, not reported as stolen, and you purchased with documentation such as a bill of sale. This is sufficient in many states to title or register the bike with feasible and minimal hoops to jump through for government to recognize you own it and allow you to use it on public roads... But not in the oppressive police state you happen to reside in. In that case you can use the parts from the parts motorcycle (parts frame) to repair the motorcycle (frame, headstock) which the government will allow you to use. At which point you can finish restoring the bike. This is fundamentally different than taking a complete ride-able and restored bike with unknown history, no proof of or history, ownership, or reported as stolen, and changing the headstock to one from a bare frame you own with clear title in your name.

Offline Dunk

• Expert
« Reply #232 on: June 26, 2016, 05:15:28 am »
The Cibie headlight, Philips bulb, and relays are... Awesome. Bright light, wide pattern, clean cutoff to not blind others on the roads, just amazing. I put the K1 with upgraded headlight next to the K5 with stock headlight and compared one to the other and there simply is no comparison. The stock headlight is like holding a candle in a storm, a tiny poorly focused splotch of dim yellow light. The upgraded headlight makes it almost like daylight in front of you. No idea how I rode all these years with stock lighting.

I've been told the turn signals are a little hard to see on a bright sunny day. I'll be upgrading those to whatever the brightest LED I can find are and adding diodes for the indicator. I had trouble finding a flasher that works with LEDs for my truck, so expect a little trial and error to find a compact one that works for the bike. I find the neutral light and turn signal indicator a bit hard to see in bright sunlight. I recall I used incandescent bulbs for those. I may try LED in those. I did not use LED for any of the indicator lights as I didn't wnat them to be obnoxiously bright at night and become distracting or harm vision. With that in mind it would probably be prudent to use one at least for the low oil pressure indicator...

Also changed the Motion Pro clutch cable for a Honda cable. This seems to have slightly reduced the clutch effort, which my wrist greatly appreciates with the heavier clutch springs.

Offline 550Resto

• Enthusiast
« Reply #233 on: February 04, 2017, 12:42:32 pm »
Did you build the relay for the new headlight bulb you installed or for something else? I'm looking at upgrading my sealed beam and checking out options. Thanks!

Offline lash

• Hot Shot
« Reply #234 on: February 04, 2017, 12:57:08 pm »
Thought I would update on my frame. All I had in mind with restoring my frame was fixing the damage the PO had done to it. This involved fixing the seat frame and the right side down tube. It would have seemed easier to replace than fix but I took it to a specialty welding shop and they did an amazing job of restoring the frame. After powerdercoat the frame is good as new. No frankenbiking!
Why do the pics post upside down and then show corretly when you zoom on them?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #235 on: February 04, 2017, 03:20:41 pm »
Wow! That's excellent mate, looks like money well spent. I hope mine comes up as good! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline disco

• Hot Shot
« Reply #236 on: February 04, 2017, 03:42:25 pm »
Great job of saving that frame. You should be proud of that.
What the hell was PO thinking with that RH downtube & seat area??
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 04:21:09 pm by disco »
1976 CB750 K6 Sapphire Blue
1972 CB750 K2 836 Orange Sunrise
1972 CB750 K2 Candy Red
1972 CB750 K2 Candy Gold'

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #237 on: February 04, 2017, 04:43:26 pm »
Apparently inseamed challenged I am betting and he modded the frame to drop the seating a couple inches with a drivers seat and pillon seat would be my guess.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline lash

• Hot Shot
« Reply #238 on: February 04, 2017, 04:52:22 pm »
Would have been much better if he had learned to weld first!