Author Topic: Canadians: Tax implications crossing the border for machine/rebuild work?  (Read 1149 times)

Offline drumstyx

• Hot Shot
It's absurdly expensive to ship from Canada to the US, especially for larger parts, and especially given the looming postal strike. So I'm planning to take my swingarm (and maybe my cylinder head and cylinders) over the border this weekend or next, to ship them to their various destinations at a fraction of the cost.

Crossing the border with boxes strapped to the back seat of my Concours seems like it's asking to get searched (going into the USA, Canadian border patrol is much more sane). So what do I say? Am I importing these parts to the USA? Am I importing them when I go back home? Do I pay tax on the service cost? Do I pay no taxes since the parts were mine to begin with?

Offline Rookster

• Hot Shot
Do not box them up.  I have taken parts to be painted from the US to Canada and back.  Leave the parts loose and explain that you are taking them to the US for service.  I'm not sure what the amount is anymore but you are allowed up to a certain dollar amount without having to pay duty.  You will need a receipt when you bring them back into Canada.  The more used the parts look the better.  If they want to search the car it's fine.  As long as you aren't transporting fruits and vegetables or contraband you will be ok.

Scott

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Expect to be asked if it's for work or commercial. Purposes..
As above don't close the packages,  they will want to see it.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
The US doesn't care about the taxes and duties as much as Canada does. We're more worried about bombs and things.
"Just because you flush a boatload of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Stepfather the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 VG "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS
Another 1976 CB550K Cafe?

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline jamesw

• Hot Shot
I cross the border numerous times a month, and have had no issue when crossing into the US and "servicing parts" as the reason for crossing.

Like others have said, don't seal the boxes, leave them open.

Save your receipts, as you'll need them to prove work was done on existing parts you already own. I never get charged duty on shipping off parts back to me since it's a service and not "goods."

I don't think they'll charge you duty or tax coming back, as you're only paying for services to be done on your parts.

I'll be doing the same thing in 2 weeks. Sending carbs to harisuluv and a head to MReick.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 02:55:28 pm by jamesw »
72K-F 750 Cafe
75K 750 Cafe
75F 750 Restoration

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
There's no duty for this, but you will pay tax as you would at home. Stop at CCUSTOMS on the way through, tell them you'll be bringing the same parts back. They may give you something that describes the pieces to show them on return.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Smart. Idea to do that if bringing bike into US to race..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
Frank, exactly...Canadian race bike passport!