Author Topic: CyleX rectifier regulator Help Please. I'm dyin' ova hia....  (Read 2463 times)

Offline c1111toro

CyleX rectifier regulator Help Please. I'm dyin' ova hia....
« on: December 27, 2011, 05:42:31 pm »
I have researched this death and I can't find a similar situation. I'm using a new Partsnmore harness on 76 750K and want to run a CycleX rectifier regulator with the Factory OEM Honda connector. Thanks in advance, I know someone will know the solution right away.

Regulator rectifier                  My harness
Harness #1
                   Yellow---------------Yellow
                   Black------------------?       (GREEN or RED)
                   White-----------------?       (GREEN or RED?
Harness #2
                   GREEN---------------Green
                  WHITE/RED-----------White
                   BLACK----------------Black

Attached are photos. The first photo is of the OEM. Thanks, Chris

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
Re: CyleX rectifier regulator Help Please. I'm dyin' ova hia....
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 08:25:22 pm »
Ok, let me understand this correctly you want to use an aftermarket regulator / rectifier combo and have it plug into the stock OEM wiring harness?

The short answer is it doesn't work without cutting the OEM winning harness you just bought.  That's the bad news.  The good news is you can have a stock appearance by getting a proper connector like this one from CB750supply Coupler Set with Terminals - 8 space (Large Flat Spade type). Part #: 12-0636 They have should have all the connectors you need to get the job done.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 08:30:19 pm »
Did Cyclex provide any sort of wiring diagram?
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 10:45:33 am »
So... the mystery is about the CycleX black and white wires. Which is "+" and which is "-".
This info should, hopefully, be included in the package with the reg/rect unit. There is no way to know for sure without asking CycleX if you don't have any instruction sheet.
The problem is that there are two common standards for wiring colors. One is normal for electronics work, one for electrical work. The "electronics" way the black would be ground (green) and white positive (red). The "electrical" way it would be the other way around. You can't tell which of these schemes was used by whoever designed it.
I run into this regularly: when installing cinema sound systems the electricians usually hook up some of the speakers - it goes against all their training to consider a white wire "hot" and connect it to the red terminal on the speaker.
Cycle-X should have used green and red, I think. That would be unambiguous.

Offline c1111toro

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 03:10:56 pm »
Here are the instructions for the CYCLEX rec/reg

Bundle 1
White/ Red   to Battery Positive
Green          to Battery Negative
Black           to 12v source after switch is turned on

Bundle 2
3 Yellow     to Stator
Black          to One side of field or brush 1
White        to other side of field or brush 2

Offline c1111toro

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 03:42:03 pm »
Hi Chewbacca. I salvaged the original Honda connector that was on the OEM rectifier. I'm trying to figure out the routing of the wires from the CYCLEX unit. The third photo is where I'm at right now.I'm tempted to buy Carpy's unit thats plug and play. The only reason I'm using this one is because it came with a project bike I bought and it was new.Thanks, Chris

Offline luap

• LAWL
  • Expert
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 04:35:55 pm »
is that a single state regulator/ rectifier or just the rectifier,,
single state
from stator
3y-3yellows
green-green ground
white-white
black to ignition side
red to start silenoid relay

rectifer 3y's 1 red  1 green
3y-3y
red/white to starter silenoid battery side
stator green to rec ground
regulator blk white green
black ignition side
white to stator white
green to ground  stator green rec green an reg green all to ground

75-550 ffsc sold, 78-550 diamonte sold, 125s grasshopper sold, 76-550 puma sold, 78-550 tracker sold, 74-550 verde diablo Sold, 74-550 Noemani finished trying to sell. 72 500 hartail in the works
www.cb-town.com
"I dont need a bike covered in paint an chrome I know exactally bout how big my coc( is"

Offline c1111toro

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 04:58:00 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I wish I was a little more knowledgable about wiring. I was really hoping for some pics of a similar situation with a description of wire for wire connections using the OEM harness and connectors. I contacted CYCLEX and they where very helpful but I don't have the experience with electrics to know what the technical terms are. Ken told me they don't normally use OEM wiring harness on their bikes. He was nice enough to spend some time with on the phone and I just felt like I shouldn't bother him and turn to this forum for answers Thanks

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 05:16:24 pm »
I am attaching pictures of  Cycle X and Cappy's regulator / rectifier for reference.

Seems like Cappy's is the way to go no need to mess with extra connectors or anything.  I would just try to explain to Ken that you are not yet comfortable with electrics and want to return it.  If he says not to an outright return maybe he will give you some store credit.

Otherwise get the connectors and follow luap's instructions.  Seems like it will cost more money to do it this way though.  Either way should work fine.

Maybe you can upload a better pic of the cyclex unit with all the wires clearly visible.  I can's see everything from the website pic.

Offline c1111toro

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 05:52:13 pm »
Ok I just took a couple more photos: I think I have Harness #2 installed correctly ( harness with the individual connectors) WHITE/RED to WHITE, GREEN to GREEN and BLACK TO BLACK. The other harness is the one in question. I know it's  YELLOW to YELLOW, YELLOW to YELLOW and YELLOW to YELLOW. But the OEM Honda harness has YELLOW YELLOW YELLOW GREEN RED. Where do the BLACK AND WHITE wires from the rectifier go? Which goes to the HONDA RED and which goes to the HONDA GREEN in the same harness as the three yellows from the stator?

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 06:21:18 pm »
Here are the instructions for the CYCLEX rec/reg

Bundle 1
White/ Red   to Battery Positive
Green          to Battery Negative
Black           to 12v source after switch is turned on

Bundle 2
3 Yellow     to Stator
Black          to One side of field or brush 1
White        to other side of field or brush 2

Cycle x's directions for the rectifier say black to one side and white to the other.  Doesn't look like it matters.  If it did I am sure they would say something.

I'd just go with Green-White and Red-Black and call it good.  I'd advise against splicing wires if you can to avoid the extra resistance, but should be fine for testing.

Offline luap

• LAWL
  • Expert
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 10:01:40 pm »
White/ Red   to Battery Positive battery side of starter silenoid
Green          tied to green coming off stator to ground
Black           ??? guess 2nd source of power after switch

Bundle 2
3 Yellow     to Stator
Black          tied to 12v sorce after switch is turned on regulator side of unit
White        to white coming off stator
but like first reply not going to be able to use stock HOnda harness
75-550 ffsc sold, 78-550 diamonte sold, 125s grasshopper sold, 76-550 puma sold, 78-550 tracker sold, 74-550 verde diablo Sold, 74-550 Noemani finished trying to sell. 72 500 hartail in the works
www.cb-town.com
"I dont need a bike covered in paint an chrome I know exactally bout how big my coc( is"

Offline c1111toro

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 05:31:48 am »
I have another idea. Does anyone have the Partsnmore rectifier regulator like this one. If you could post a photo of each side of each harness I would know how the wires match up. The difference between this and the one I own is that this came with the OEM style plastic connectors. It would east to see where the Black and White go in the harness. Thanks Chris

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 08:48:01 am »
You do have it wrong.

Looking at your pics and going from the new unit wiring list, the correct way would be:

Bundle 1 (this is the alternator output and the regulator circuit input power)
White/ Red   to Battery Positive - This goes directly to battery "+" or to the red/white wire on the old rectifier plug. You have it connected to the alternator field coil wire on the old regulator connections (wrong).
Green          to Battery Negative - should go directly to battery "-" or to a solid ground point, you have it to the old regulator green wire. not entirely wrong but it should go straight to the battery or frame.
Black           to 12v source after switch is turned on - This one you got right!

Bundle 2 (this is to the alternator coils only)
3 Yellow     to Stator- 3 phase output coils - you have these right, yellow to yellow.
Black          to One side of field or brush 1 - see below
White        to other side of field or brush 2 - see below

The white wires are for the alternator field coil. This coil has two wires, one is the white wire at the regulator (you have the new red/white one connected to it). The other one shows up on the engine connector but is grounded in the harness, I don't know exactly where. The stock regulator supplies "+" voltage to the white regulator wire and the coil is powered to ground. I don't know how the new regulator works (it could control either positive or negative on the coil), but Cycle-X seems to want both coil wires without any grounding so that's what you should do, so you have to find the other field coil wire.  It does come through the engine connector, I think the coil is on two white wires there (the only white wires). You may be able to find where it goes to ground and, after disconnecting that, extend it to where your reg/rect is. Or run a new wire to the engine connector, it uses spade connectors that can be removed from the shell so a new wire can be carefully soldered on.
Once you have both connected to the new white wires and the others corrected, you're good to go.