Author Topic: MY VERY FIRST PROJECT | 1978 Honda CB750 into a Cafer Racer!  (Read 7888 times)

Offline Phillybaw

• Hood Beats
MY VERY FIRST PROJECT | 1978 Honda CB750 into a Cafer Racer!
« on: January 02, 2012, 09:48:14 pm »
What up everyone? I just started a new project last week on a bike that I have had for a long time. I bought the bike about 6 years ago and only rode it once SMH...I bought it as a practice/learner bike and I only rode it once to test it out. I never got it registered or fully up and running. The carbs needed cleaning back then and it was having trouble starting so I just left it to sit. The bike has been sitting outside my house for 6 years now and I'm finally ready to get it going! Lemme mention that I am not a mechanic in any type of way! Also I'm not a handy man in any way, shape or form lol...My brother and my uncle are mechanics and I'm hoping that with their guidance and assistance, I can completely restore this bike. I am going to turn it into an Cafe Racer. So far I have removed the engine and stripped the bike down to the frame. My uncle owned a bodyshop for years so with his help I sanded down the frame and painted it today. I also painted the tank and sanded the wheels and prepared them for paint. I will paint the wheels sometime this week. I am going to have A LOT of questions when it is time to put the bike back together so I NEED EVERYONE'S HELP! I will keep everyone posted on my progress!  :)

The Frame after a little sanding:

The Painted Frame! :)

Close-up of the paint:

The Painted Tank:
I just decided that I am going to re-paint the tank red.

The top cover to my tank cannot lock because the lock is gone. Does anyone know where or how I can get this fixed?

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
Re: MY VERY FIRST PROJECT | 1978 Honda CB750 into a Cafer Racer!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 10:16:12 pm »
Best of luck with your project.  It is a tall undertaking for a first go but hopefully you will have ample help.  Most any lock will work as the lock is not keyed to a specific key.  Use the forum here for bikes and parts wanted and someone should be able to help you out.  Welcome...Larry

Offline Phillybaw

• Hood Beats
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 12:20:49 am »
Thanks Larry!

So can I buy any lock from a tools store or does it have to be a Honda 750 lock?

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 04:34:21 am »
Thanks Larry!

So can I buy any lock from a tools store or does it have to be a Honda 750 lock?

I think you will need one from another Honda due to the way it mounts.  I do not have that style but if my memory serves me well ??? there is a clip under the lock that holds it in place...Larry

Offline moosh

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 02:25:44 pm »
if you just take off the tiny metal piece that reads the key shape (it just pops out) any key will work. i had to do it on my tank.  the tank i originally got didnt have the cover so i took one off another tank. i just use my ignition key. i dont if its the best solution but it works

Offline Phillybaw

• Hood Beats
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 06:24:42 pm »
I don't have the key hole part. That's the part that is missing. In the pic below, there is just a hole where the lock should go. Where can I get a replacement lock from?

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 07:17:55 pm »
You should post in bike and parts wanted to see if a forum member can help out.  Try a salvage yard if there is one near you, once you get the lock any key will work...Larry
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 04:08:00 pm by photolar »

Offline dawdish

• Enthusiast
  • Life's better with bugs in your teeth!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 08:45:43 pm »
Hey good to see another enthusiast. You build is looking great. This forum has been a great help to me. Nothin but good ideas and help here.
'75 CB400F
'72 CB500 Four
1 CB550 Chappa (barn find)
1 '75 CB550 (barn find)
'81 Guzzi V1000( I couldn't help myself)

Offline cben750f0

• nothin draws attention like a classic bike!!
  • Master
  • '75 CB750F0 Gladstone NQLD OZ
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 08:55:03 pm »
excellent job on the frame M8, great, best advice i can give you, download a workshop manual, and the parts book, this will give you and idea of what you need, and how it goes, also gives you some old part numbers that can be used to what else uses the same parts.

your on a winner...best of luck with the build

peace
you are never to old, to act like a kid... be safe
funny thing,chasing someone down hill on a bike 30 years older than theirs..
he said \\\\\\\'it was like watching a 250kg unguided weapon getting stuck up you bum\\\\\\\ http://www.bikepics.com/members/trixtrem/

Offline Phillybaw

• Hood Beats
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 03:52:36 pm »
Hey everyone! I got the carbs cleaned yesterday so my next step is to start cleaning the engine to make it look new. What are some good products that I can use to clean the engine? Also do I have to use paint to make it look new or can I just clean it? How should I do this?

All answers are appreciated!

Offline Phillybaw

• Hood Beats
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 05:13:32 pm »
What up everybody? I just finished painting the engine today. I might put the engine back into the frame tomorrow depending on the weather.

Offline Phillybaw

• Hood Beats
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 03:33:22 pm »
What up everybody? I just finished putting the engine into the frame today. I scratched up some parts of the engine and the frame while trying to get the engine in, but i'll have to retouch the paint. The hard part begins NOW!

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 03:38:14 pm »
Starting to look like a bike ;D, I think a red tank as you mentioned would look great...Larry

Offline Phillybaw

• Hood Beats
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 03:40:29 pm »
I decided not to do the red tank becuz the engine paint ended up having a blue tint to it. So im either gonna leave it like it is or paint the tank black. Still trying to decide

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 11:09:05 pm »
What up everybody? I just finished putting the engine into the frame today. I scratched up some parts of the engine and the frame while trying to get the engine in, but i'll have to retouch the paint. The hard part begins NOW!

Little scratches always happen. Just part of the process.

Offline Phillybaw

• Hood Beats
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 07:33:24 pm »
What up everyone? I am back with a little update on the bike. I re-painted the tank in Black...I painted the rims black with chrome spokes and I also cleaned, sanded and painted the battery box in black. I also bought a brand new battery. The next step is to start putting everything back together. I still need new tires, new handle bars and a cafe racer seat. Here are some pics:

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 06:48:20 pm »
The bike is looking good! Take your time finding a seat as getting a "Cafe" seat to match the looks of the K7-8 tanks is tough. People have done it, though. Get the right look and it will be stunning.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline Phillybaw

• Hood Beats
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 03:08:04 pm »
The bike is looking good! Take your time finding a seat as getting a "Cafe" seat to match the looks of the K7-8 tanks is tough. People have done it, though. Get the right look and it will be stunning.

Thanks man...can you recommend any places where I can find some great low price seats?

Offline Phillybaw

• Hood Beats
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 07:27:12 pm »
Quick update...
I put the front wheel on...here are a couple of pics. The back wheel is not hooked on yet. I just sat it there to see how it would look. I still need brakes for the rear.

List of things I need:
New Tires
Brakes
Racing Handlebar
Cafe Seat
I also need a new throttle...The handle that twists broke off somehow. So I wont be able to give the bike any gas.
I may also need a new wire harness or wires set.

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 05:02:35 pm »
Thanks man...can you recommend any places where I can find some great low price seats?
I don't have a lead, no, but I can offer some inspiration.  :)

Beveldrive's bike came out great:

Someone else hand made a seat to match the lines of the 77/78 K tanks. I can't remember who. I think they painted it the VFR colors, too. I've been searching but can't seem to find it.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline Phillybaw

• Hood Beats
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 04:22:25 pm »
I don't have a lead, no, but I can offer some inspiration.  :)

Beveldrive's bike came out great:

Someone else hand made a seat to match the lines of the 77/78 K tanks. I can't remember who. I think they painted it the VFR colors, too. I've been searching but can't seem to find it.

This looks really good! Thanks! NowI have an idea on what type of seat to get